From: Jane Galt on
John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote :

> Neil Harrington wrote:
>> "Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message
>
>>> Exactly. I'd love to have a nice Nikon DSLR, so I could have a polarizing
>>> lens and all, but it IS for my purse and I already have a bunch of stuff
>>> in
>>> there, including the XD-45 ACP,
>>
>> Ooooh. My kinda woman. (Though I'm mainly a Beretta guy myself.)
>
> Kinda like Rita, I bet. A lady but not a woman.

"She was not quite what you would call refined
She was not quite what you would call unrefined
She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
-- Mark Twain

--
- Jane Galt
From: Jane Galt on
"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote :

> "Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message
>> "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote :

>> Frankly I'd love a $3000 Nikon DSLR but it's like with guns. They say
>> that the smaller gun you can carry is better than the bigger gun that
>> you have to wind up leaving at home. Same with this. If it fits my
>> purse, I have it in a snap. <pun> If it's baggage, I probably would
>> leave it at home most of
>> the time, then I'd miss something like that video of Congressman ( Thug
>> ) Bob Etheridge if I saw something like that going on. :-)
>
> Yes, wasn't that something.

Should give his constituents nightmares, right up until the elections this
fall.

Creeps ME out!

Of course if he'd pulled that on me and not a teen boy....

>> True. Well now that I have a HD 24" LCD monitor ( Asus VK246H ) and
>> HDTV at
>> home, I'm really enjoying true HD, so it would be awesome to be able to
>> take full HD photos and video and see them on these at home, even as
>> wallpaper.
>
> I see David has already pointed out that HDTV is only about two
> megapixels. And that's at the highest available resolution regardless of
> screen size: 1920 x 1080 = 2.07 megapixels.

I guess the awesome factor on an HDTV screen or monitor, must come from the
sharpness of said lens.

--
- Jane Galt
From: Jane Galt on
"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote :

> "Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message
>> "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote :
>>

>>> "Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message

>>> The two Canons you mention look sort of interesting, though if I were
>>> buying a Powershot I'd go the extra $100 for a G11.
>>
>> I mentioned that I could spring the extra from the $250 price of the
>> S8000 to the SD4000IS. Now you're talking $450. :) Creeping price
>> here. LOL
>
> Yup. :-)
>

>>> I don't know if
>>> you'd consider the G11 purse sized, however.
>>

>> Not so much?
>>

>> I looked up the S90, the S8000 and the SD4000IS:
>>

>> S90 3.9 x 2.3 x 1.2 6.2 OZ.
>> S8000 4.1 x 2.3 x 1.1 6.5 OZ.
>> SD4000IS 3.9 x 2.1 x .9 6.1 OZ.
>>
>> G11 4.4 x 3 x 1.9 12.5 OZ.
>>
>> <sigh> The purse IS kinda big already, to hold the size and weight of
>> the XD-45 ACP and the 14 rounds of JHP. Hmmm....
>
> I suppose one full magazine of .45s should be fairly close to the weight
> of the G11, and not TOO much difference in overall size. So think of it
> as more or less like carrying the extra magazine.

But the mag could save my life. :)

I guess the camera could too, if one encountered Congressman Drunk Thug and
was afraid to shoot him with the pistol. LOL

>> Is the G11 THAT much better than the other 3?
>
> I think so, yes. I don't have one yet myself -- being mainly a Nikon guy
> -- but the G11 is really getting under my skin and I'm gonna have to
> get one soon.

<sigh> Ok, it's gonna cost us much more than the $450 though. <sigh>

> I need Yet Another Digital Camera like I need another navel, but heck,
> as a friend of mine used to say, "The one who dies with the most toys,
> wins."

It's like guns, gold and youth, you cant have "too many or too much".

>> ( thinking this is gonna cost me more... )
>>
>> At what point will I need to start moving other stuff out of the purse
>> to make room for it?
>>
>> I like the size of the Cyber-Shot DSC-S750 that I have in there now.
>> It's in a little hard shell case. It just doesn't take very sharp
>> pictures, and after all, what's a camera for if not that? Oh and the
>> video it takes are tiny. And I love the idea of taking HD stills and
>> video...
>>
>> IOW I want a new purse camera for my birthday. :-)
>
> I don't think you'd go wrong with any of those we've talked about. In
> the end the only FULLY satisfactory solution is to buy them all, as then
> you will never say, "Gee, maybe I should have bought ------ instead."
> But of course that solution has its obvious down sides as well.

ACK! Like having to live in the car.... LOL

--
- Jane Galt
From: John McWilliams on
Jane Galt wrote:
> John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote :
>
>> Neil Harrington wrote:
>>> Ooooh. My kinda woman. (Though I'm mainly a Beretta guy myself.)
>> Kinda like Rita, I bet. A lady but not a woman.

> "She was not quite what you would call refined
> She was not quite what you would call unrefined
> She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
> -- Mark Twain

Nice one! I do like humor.....

--
john mcwilliams
From: Jane Galt on
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote :

> On 2010-06-18 17:52:24 -0700, Jane Galt <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> said:
>
>> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote :
>
>>> Happy birthday. Since it will be your only xx birthday ever, get the
>> G11.
>>>

>> Talked to my other half about it. If I spend $450, they will want a bunch
>> of stuff too, and it's gonna get way expensive. LOL
>
> Why not?
> It is your birthday. Your XD-45 cost more than $450, and is the only
> tool you need for making a persuasive argument for the camera you want.
>
> Also a 13 or 10 round 45 fully loaded is not exactly light, even with a
> polymer frame and without an extra magazine.
> My carry choice is a Kimber Pro CDP II with an 8 round magazine. More
> than enough to handle any issue.
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Kimber-1.jpg
>
> Having said all of that, I have a Nikon D300s and a Canon G11 and the
> G11 is just fine.
>
> Have a happy birthday.

Thanks Duck. <quack>

--