From: Jane Galt on
"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote :

>> Thank you. That's exactly why I picked the nym. I'm a female
>> Objectivist. Sue me?
>
> Certainly not; I'm an Ayn Rand fan myself.

Nice. :)

--
- Jane Galt
From: Jane Galt on
"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote :

> Not entirely apples and oranges. I'm still curious as to why someone would
> pretend to be the gender he is not. Not making a federal case out of it,
> just curious. It *is* curious.

I imagine because some people are mischievous and they can hide behind a
computer and play with other people.

--
- Jane Galt
From: David Ruether on

"J. Caldwell" <nospam(a)anyserver.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:27:28 -0400, "David Ruether"
> <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote:
>>"Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message

>>> Tried finding any handgun ammo on the shelves at Walmart, since Obama
>>> Nation got into office? It's 18 months later and the shelves are STILL
>>> bare, people are still scared and hoarding.

>>Kinda demonstrates that stupidity is catching, I guess...
>>--DR

> Actually most of the runs on ammo this year are due to them changing the
> manufacturing process, not any overthrow-the-government conspiracies
> (though it's getting there). All new ammo of any gauge is now micro-tagged.
> I only wanted to buy some LR 22s not long ago for a vintage rifle I was
> refurbishing. (Needed to lathe an internal shoulder on the worn firing-pin
> to extend its reach and give it a more solid impact, reshape the worn
> firing-pin head, and retensioning the spring a bit as well.) I couldn't
> find 22s on the net or on any store shelves. I was wondering what the hell
> was up. People have been buying out the last clean non-tagged supplies
> before Big Brother stuck their lousy noses even deeper into everyone's
> daily lives. All old stock was bought out everywhere.

Q.E.D., alas...

> Silly me, I found 8,000 rounds of LR 22s still sitting on a back shelf of
> mine that I hadn't checked. A bulk deal I got for $20 once. Decent
> Remingtons. Not one dud yet. Lack of ammo disaster averted.

Hmmmm......
So, what do you need untagged ammo for...? This extremist right-wing
feeling for the need to defend itself by arms from the "gov-'mint" is quite
stupid, I think. It is based on a mix of misleading/rabble-rousing/lying
media people on the right, economic hard times (brought about mostly
by 'Bublican over-spending, an unnecessary war, and lack of regulation
of speculative markets), and beliefs that run counter to necessary-but-
unpopular remedies that were/are needed to begin to restore the economy
(and not let it crash, as it was just about to do [would you have preferred
that?]). The "right" has so little ability to think long-term, unfortunately...
Hey, let's let the robber barons rule, huh, since we believe in the absolute
right of individuals to do as they please, the consequences to the majority
be hanged, right? We've been there, done that, and it was disastrous.
So, no thanks for a repeat.
--DR

From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-06-20, Better Info wrote:
....l
> That's the kind of mentality that STOPS bloodshed. After the criminal is
> dead he won't be shedding the blood of anyone else either.

Unfortunately, it is more often the other person who gets hurt, not
the criminal.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================
From: Neil Harrington on

"Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <noone(a)nospam.com> wrote in message

> � "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> ������ ��� ������
>>
>> "Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message

>>> Tried finding any handgun ammo on the shelves at Walmart, since Obama
>>> Nation got into office? It's 18 months later and the shelves are STILL
>>> bare, people are still scared and hoarding.
>>
>> I guess I have enough of a hoard already, and I've got plenty of brass,
>> primers, powder and bullets in case I need more. I haven't shopped for
>> ammo in many years now. Actually I haven't been doing any shooting lately
>> either.

>>> I know, so I finally went for the Xd-45 ACP. :) If ya cant beat em,
>>> join
>>> em.
>>
>> That's really not good thinking. You didn't join the Obama mobs, did you?
>>

>>> COme to think of it, I still have that XD-9 around and need to sell it.
>>> <sigh> But a woman cant have too many guns. ;-)
>>
>> I'd sell the XD-45 instead and keep the more sensible 9.
>>
>> Just on the remote chance the survivalists are right and our gummint may
>> fall apart some day leading to massive civil disorder, it's not a bad
>> idea to have something that will accept military ammo. There will ALWAYS
>> be millions and millions of rounds of 9mm NATO around SOMEWHERE. And
>> there will be people who have ways of getting to it.
>>
> Not to mention the 7.62 mm NATO round or the ubiquitous .50 BMG API
> tracer...(Armor Piercing Incendiary)

Or any other flavor of .50 Browning for that matter.

>>> Yeah, but hit a bad guy in the shoulder and the whole arm will be gone.
>>> :)
>>
>> BALONEY. And don't believe those silly stories about the .45 having
>> "knockdown power" either. No handgun has "knockdown power" and no rifle
>> does either for that matter, unless it's something like a .300 Magnum
>> being used on a chipmunk.
>>
> I wouldn't like to be in the receiving end of it.

I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of a .22 Short, as far as that
goes. I read several years ago about a couple of boys who fatally wounded an
elephant in a zoo with .22 Shorts. I think it took the poor beast more than
a day to die, but die it eventually did.

> Officers in infantry carry the .45 browning pistol, also tank drivers and
> machine-gunners.

What .45 Browning? Do you mean the Browning-designed M1911 (etc.)?

I believe infantry officers are still issued the M9 Beretta, though some
units and assignments have always allowed variety in personal sidearms. And
general officers of course can choose whatever they like -- Patton carried a
..45 Colt six-shooter and a S&W .357 Magnum.

>>> You should see the hand of the woman who was running the "ladies night"
>>> used to attend, at the local gun shop here. She accidentally shot
>>> herself
>>> through the hand with a 9mm JHP. What a mess. Havent seen her in awhile,
>>> but she said it would take years of rehab to use the hand again.
>>
>> Nasty business. But I'd sure like to know how she managed to shoot
>> herself through the hand.
> A policeman did that to himself in a firing range.

With one of those evil Glocks, I'll bet. It still mystifies me how anyone
can do that.

>>> I KNOW. Much of the "9mm doesnt have the stopping power" tales come from
>>> the military, when the idiot politicians make them use FMJ.
> How about the incendiary shell for the 4.2" mortar? With white phosphorus?
> Totally legal... Or the high-explosive shell for the same mortar, which
> shrapnel can go to 500 meters? Or the ubiquitous 90 mm bazuka HEAT (High
> Explosive Anti Tank) round, which will roast the crew of a tank like
> chicken? Or the Milan anti-tank missile, which can pierce half a meter of
> tank grade steel? Talking about deterrence...

Half a meter? Now that's impressive.

>> Well, to be fair, it's the Geneva Convention that makes them do that. Any
>> type of expanding bullet is outlawed in war because it's "inhumane." OK
>> to use napalm or flamethrowers on people, but not expanding bullets.
>> Actually the .303 British in its Mk VII loading had a bullet with
>> aluminum nose cone under the jacket, making the bullet tail heavy so it
>> would topple when it hit flesh, thus comparable to a JSP or JHP in
>> destructiveness, but that was OK because it was full metal jacketed. And
>> our 5.56mm rifles have (depending on model) an abnormally slow rifling
>> twist for that caliber, causing the bullet to be only marginally
>> stabilized and also possibly topple in flesh -- still perfectly legal
>> because it's FMJ.
>>
> Loophole.

Sure. Silly rule to begin with. I understand it started after the British
adopted a soft-point load for its improved stopping power at their Dum Dum
Arsenal in India, which annoyed some politicians who thought warfare should
be carried out on a more considerate and compassionate basis. So the SP
ammunition didn't stay around long, though the term "dum-dum" for expanding
bullet is still in occasional use.