From: Pete on
On 2010-06-19 10:04:03 +0100, David J Taylor said:

> "Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message
>> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote :
> []
>>> You do know that "full HD", and your monitor, are only about 2MP, I
>>> presume?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> David
>>>

>> Oh my.
>>
>> Well whatever makes it look so sharp and clear, I want it. :)
>
> Yes, I sometimes wonder that as well, Jane! One thing is that the
> pixels are right on the surface of the display, with no intervening
> optics, and there's no "ink spread" which you might get in some
> printing processes. Of course, if you want to crop half the linear
> image you've taken, you then need four times as many pixels, so having
> that 8-10-12MP camera does make some sense....
>
> Oh, and I've seen figures of around 200 pixels per inch for acceptable
> photos, and that on a 6 x 4 inch print is 1MP - others say 300 pixels
> per inch so that's 2MP.

Yes, good 2 MP cameras produced perfectly acceptable 4x6 inch prints. A
"pixel perfect" 2 MP image produces a large, sharp, and thoroughly
enjoyable image on a good HDTV, sometimes an exquisite image.

Most journals are printed at 200 DPI/PPI therefore a double-page image,
between margins, is about 7 MP. Occasionally, 300 DPI is used for
printing books showing fine art. Some of the top-end printers manage a
stunning 400 DPI.

A 300 DPI print viewed from 10 inches by someone with 20/20 vision is
at the limit of visual acuity: this is termed close scrutiny. For 35 mm
film an 8x10 inch print viewed at 10 inches was the accepted reference.
It had lead to false statement such as: a 12 MP Bayer CFA camera cannot
produce prints larger than 8x12 inches. The correct statement is
approximately: To evaluate the quality of an image, print it at 300 DPI
on a top end printer and assess the print from a distance of 10 inches,
or the equivalent thereof to compensate for vision that is not 20/20.

Generally, children are able to focus on objects 5 inches away or less;
by our mid-forties the closest distance for many of us is 20 inches or
further. At 20 inches viewing distance the print must be 16x24 inches
for close scrutiny, which is 150 DPI, etc. etc. Of course, a 48 inch
HDTV viewed from a distance of about 6 feet gives a razor sharp 2 MP
image. Interestingly, it looks a lot more impressive (and bigger?) than
a 4x6 inch print viewed from 10 inches.

The iPhone 4 has 326 PPI indicating that it is designed for people with
better than 20-20 vision i.e. young people, so no point in me getting
one. A much better excuse than admitting I don't have the ability to
learn how to use it :-)

Jane, as to the low-light aspect, your 2 MP image requirement will
effectively boost the ISO sensitivity of the camera you choose quite
considerably. As I've written too much already I'll leave that for
others to explain if you are interested.

I hope some of this is useful and/or entertaining. Good luck with your
decision.

--
Pete

From: David J Taylor on
[]
> Generally, children are able to focus on objects 5 inches away or less;
> by our mid-forties the closest distance for many of us is 20 inches or
> further. At 20 inches viewing distance the print must be 16x24 inches
> for close scrutiny, which is 150 DPI, etc. etc. Of course, a 48 inch
> HDTV viewed from a distance of about 6 feet gives a razor sharp 2 MP
> image. Interestingly, it looks a lot more impressive (and bigger?) than
> a 4x6 inch print viewed from 10 inches.

Showing, perhaps, that there's more than angular subtense when evaluating
the subjective quality of images? A good big-un beats an equivalently
good little-un.

> The iPhone 4 has 326 PPI indicating that it is designed for people with
> better than 20-20 vision i.e. young people, so no point in me getting
> one. A much better excuse than admitting I don't have the ability to
> learn how to use it :-)
[]
> Pete

I was disappointed that when I got my first mobile/text phone about 2.5
years back the instructions were completely lacking in the basics. Even
my current model has no instructions about - for example - how to use its
built-in "camera". Not even an offer to sell me a Nokia for Novices book!
<G> At least my Panasonic and Nikon instructions manuals include the
basics for beginners.

Cheers,
David

From: John McWilliams on
Jane Galt wrote:
> So with this G11, does it have an awesome sharp clear lens? <drool>

Prolly! I bought the G3, several generations earlier, but don't know
first hand how sharp it is. The G3 is still a very useful compact
camera. (4 MP). I now shoot mostly with an 'old' D5.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Pete on
On 2010-06-19 16:11:05 +0100, David J Taylor said:

> []
>> Generally, children are able to focus on objects 5 inches away or less;
>> by our mid-forties the closest distance for many of us is 20 inches or
>> further. At 20 inches viewing distance the print must be 16x24 inches
>> for close scrutiny, which is 150 DPI, etc. etc. Of course, a 48 inch
>> HDTV viewed from a distance of about 6 feet gives a razor sharp 2 MP
>> image. Interestingly, it looks a lot more impressive (and bigger?) than
>> a 4x6 inch print viewed from 10 inches.
>
> Showing, perhaps, that there's more than angular subtense when
> evaluating the subjective quality of images? A good big-un beats an
> equivalently good little-un.

Thank you, David. I thought you would find the words that I couldn't
muster. That's exactly what I was trying to say. I get bogged down with
attempting to justify my reasoning instead of just telling it like it
is.

>> The iPhone 4 has 326 PPI indicating that it is designed for people with
>> better than 20-20 vision i.e. young people, so no point in me getting
>> one. A much better excuse than admitting I don't have the ability to
>> learn how to use it :-)
> []
>> Pete
>
> I was disappointed that when I got my first mobile/text phone about 2.5
> years back the instructions were completely lacking in the basics.
> Even my current model has no instructions about - for example - how to
> use its built-in "camera". Not even an offer to sell me a Nokia for
> Novices book! <G> At least my Panasonic and Nikon instructions manuals
> include the basics for beginners.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Yes, some companies want us to enjoy their products. Commercially
speaking, they put the effort into making us want to buy from them
again and recommend them to others. The competence of innovative
designers is often stifled by the marketing departments. One version of
the Toyota Supra being sold with totally inappropriate wheels and tyres
is a classic example.

--
Pete

From: Jane Galt on
"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote :

> "Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message
>> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote :
> []
>>> You do know that "full HD", and your monitor, are only about 2MP, I
>>> presume?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> David
>>>

>> Oh my.
>>
>> Well whatever makes it look so sharp and clear, I want it. :)
>
> Yes, I sometimes wonder that as well, Jane! One thing is that the pixels
> are right on the surface of the display, with no intervening optics, and
> there's no "ink spread" which you might get in some printing processes.
> Of course, if you want to crop half the linear image you've taken, you
> then need four times as many pixels, so having that 8-10-12MP camera does
> make some sense....
>
> Oh, and I've seen figures of around 200 pixels per inch for acceptable
> photos, and that on a 6 x 4 inch print is 1MP - others say 300 pixels per
> inch so that's 2MP.
>
> Cheers,
> David

I havent had prints made in years.