From: Better Info on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:22:02 -0500, Jane Galt <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote:

>CHDK stands for Canon Hack Development Kit?
>
>Huh?
>
>Whew, that sounds esoteric...
>
>I thought maybe the camera could do all that on its own.

It can do all that on its own. Trouble is, the firmware programmers of
Canon either locked out some abilities (those models without manual
controls now have them, those with no bracketing methods now have them,
locked out flash-sync over 1/500 shutter speeds, etc.), or Canon limited
certain features (e.g. low and high shutter speed range, video-clip length,
ISO settings, etc.), or just didn't program the camera's abilities to its
full advantage (e.g. meager 1EV step bracketing vs. CHDK's 4EV steps in
1/3EV values, etc.). CHDK jumps in as a go-between program between you and
Canon's own firmware, one that give you more direct access to all of the
camera's capabilities, irrespective of whatever Canon may or may not have
offered to you on any of it's limited options.

Though some features, like motion detection, are wholly new. By using the
EVF/LCD video feed, clever programmers (MX3 to be specific, after he saw
what trouble I was having by trying to accomplish this with uBASIC scripts
alone (LUA was not built-in yet)) devised a way to intercept the 60fps
live-view video signal, analyze it for changes between frames, and then
trigger the shutter when certain user-specified conditions are met. The
motion detection feature allows you to set as many rows and columns of
motion-detection cells (detection areas) as you want, shown as green
squares in the viewfinder, individual cells flashing red when detecting
motion. Then set which of those you want to be active, as well as their
sensitivity and response time levels. You can even set parameters so it
will ignore all large things that move and only trigger when small things
move. Or only trigger on slow moving subjects, but reject triggering on all
fast ones or vice-versa. Or only trigger if red birds enter the view but
reject detection on all yellow and blue birds. You can also set parameters
so it will trigger when all motion has stopped. For example: tell everyone
to wave at the camera until you get in the shot. When everyone stands still
it'll now take a picture of everyone with you included. It's quite a well
designed motion-detection feature. More than anyone will likely ever need.
But keep in mind, you'll have to have some uBASIC or LUA scripting language
skills to take full advantage of things like this. The basic
motion-detection script for use with CHDK would have to be tweaked for some
of the above.

From: Gilford Brimly on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:16:31 -0400, "David Ruether"
<d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote:

> ***IF*** conditions were
>***ANYTHING*** like those that led to the deaths of your family,
>I would be with you - but they are clearly not

And why, oh too afraid to carry a gun, demented one, do you think that is
so? "The RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS" prevents those conditions from happening here.

Oh.

Didn't think about that, did you.

destined to recreate those conditions if you don't.

From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:24:26 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2010-06-20 15:25:11 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:35:26 -0500, Jane Galt <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> If you aint watching Glenn Beck, you likely have NO IDEA this is going on.
>>
>> And are probably a sane and normal person.
>>
>> This is all we need in this group. A Glen Beck fan.
>>
>> How does that kill file thing work?
>
>...and Bill Graham. ;-)

I know Bill watches Beck, but I can't remember Bill proselytizing the
way the Galt person did. When they start quoting Beck and providing
quotes provided by Beck (usually out of context), you know you're
going to be dealing with a nutter.

I don't mind people who have off-the-wall opinions and offer them when
you ask about one of the subjects. If you open the door, you can't
blame them for coming in.

It does bother me, though, when they think they must initiate the
topic like a JW knocking at the door.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Jane Galt on
"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote :

> Armed civilians are nearly the worst way any society can achieve
> domestic peace...

False conjecture.

> Like I said before, you've got a gun; I've got a knife; you walk by; I
> pull out the knife and stab you...

How do you know I have a gun? I carry concealed, that's the whole point. It's
russian roulette for criminals.

> Are you going to shoot every person
> you see walking towards you with their hand in their pocket? The same
> thing goes for a person with a gun in their pocket.

Pathetically stupid. You must be a troll.

--
- Jane Galt
From: Dudley Hanks on

"Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message
> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote :
>

>> Armed civilians are nearly the worst way any society can achieve
>> domestic peace...
>
> False conjecture.
>

>> Like I said before, you've got a gun; I've got a knife; you walk by; I
>> pull out the knife and stab you...
>
> How do you know I have a gun? I carry concealed, that's the whole point.
> It's
> russian roulette for criminals.
>
>> Are you going to shoot every person
>> you see walking towards you with their hand in their pocket? The same
>> thing goes for a person with a gun in their pocket.
>
> Pathetically stupid. You must be a troll.
>

> --
> - Jane Galt

Stupid?

You think walking around with a gun in your purse will help you if the perps
know you've got it?

Don't want to burst your bubble, but think about it...

Take Care,
Dudley