From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:35:26 -0500, Jane Galt <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz>
wrote:

>If you aint watching Glenn Beck, you likely have NO IDEA this is going on.

And are probably a sane and normal person.

This is all we need in this group. A Glen Beck fan.

How does that kill file thing work?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Dudley Hanks on

"Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message
> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote :
>

>> You assume that you will always come out on top, and that the fear of
>> your vast superiority will deter future crimes...
>
> Who assumes that?
>
>> Sadly, such is not the case, which is why the arms race occurred.
>
> Nothing to do with personal self defense.
>
> Are you a pacifist?
>
>> Recognition that that fallacy doesn't work is what put a cap on the arms
>> race, and it is only future development of alternative ideologies that
>> will truly put our globe into a real state of peace.
>
> Life is dynamic. If you want peace, the only place to find it is in the
> grave.
>
>> If I'm a criminal and I know potential victims might be carrying, it
>> won't stop me if I'm starving.
>
> You seriously think that the only people who would attack us are poor
> starving people in need? Seriously? With all the welfare out there?

Welfare isn't as easy to get as it is painted... Single males almost never
qualify, usually only females and families...

But, the scenario isn't confined to just starving desperates, it'd be even
more likely with somebody strung out on illicit substances of one kind or
other...

Even in your case, a packing female, I'd be awful tempted to just grab the
purse first if the majority of women were armed, and I had some sort of
illegal activity in mind...

Like I said, arming civilians only helps the packer when the majority of
people are not armed, and play by the rules...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: David Ruether on

> "David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote :
>> "Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message

>>> Tried finding any handgun ammo on the shelves at Walmart, since Obama
>>> Nation got into office? It's 18 months later and the shelves are STILL
>>> bare, people are still scared and hoarding.

>> Kinda demonstrates that stupidity is catching, I guess...
>> --DR

> Fear. When someone who was mentored by a communist gets into office,
> promising to "radically transform America" and:
>
> "I don't believe people should be able to own guns." -- Barack Obama
> --
> - Jane Galt

Let's see... Has Obama moved in any way toward limitation of
gun ownership? No? Well, then, has he moved a tad toward
favoring gun ownership rights? Yes? Then what is your complaint?
Don't believe everything you "hear" from right-wing "news" - doing
so can make you looking not very bright...
(BTW, your nonsense level is close to rising to my "<PLONK!>"
level...)
--DR

From: Better Info on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:16:13 -0500, Jane Galt <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote:

>Argghhh.... I was just getting ready to settle for the less expensive
>SD4000IS and you hit me with this. <sniffle>

Sorry about that. But I thought it better that you are armed with too much
information than too little.

If CHDK is part of what's making this decision difficult for you, be aware
that any of the Powershot models released this year may never be able to
have CHDK ported to them. Canon has devised a new encryption routine in
their software that nobody's been able to figure out yet. Porting CHDK to
them could be another year or never, on any recent and future models. You
might actually be better off buying an earlier model of compatible camera
if you want CHDK's features. This way you could have both, a very
inexpensive 2-3 year old CHDK compatible camera, and the SD4000 you were
thinking of getting.

If considering the G10 for an earlier model, note too that that number
somehow got skipped over by CHKD developers. Though a few are trying to
learn ARM disassembly on their own and doing a port for it (it's a huge
learning curve). None that had previous porting experience at this actually
purchased that camera model so it got passed by. See the list on the right
side of the main CHDK Wiki page for all 50-some models it's been fully
ported to.

From: Better Info on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:18:27 -0500, Jane Galt <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote:

>Oh wait...
>
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=33711616
>
>I wouldn't hold my breath - the G10 is still not CHDK compatible well over
>a year after it's release!
>Steve

Which Powershot models (and their various firmware versions) are supported
is just a random roll of the dice. Those that have the ability to port CHDK
to cameras never had one of those Powershot models in their hands (so far).
Those that had G10s didn't have CHDK porting skills. It has nothing to do
with camera popularity, just whoever has the disassembly skills and which
particular Powershot camera(s) they happen to have in their hands at the
same time. Porting CHDK to a new camera really requires that the programmer
have immediate access to its workings so they have real-time feedback of
what their code is or is not doing correctly.