From: Gilford Brimly on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:46:30 -0400, "David Ruether"
<d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote:

>So, what do you need untagged ammo for...?

So what do you need tagged ammo for? The reasons are identical.

From: Jane Galt on
"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote :

> "Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message
>> "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote :
>>

>>> "Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message

>>> Yep. I've loved the 9mm Luger/Parabellum/NATO/x19 cartridge since long
>>> before it became as commonplace as it is now. It's the perfect pistol
>>> ammo and was probably designed by God. Not too big, not too small,
>>> it's just right -- Goldilocks would have loved it too.
>>
>> Tried finding any handgun ammo on the shelves at Walmart, since Obama
>> Nation got into office? It's 18 months later and the shelves are STILL
>> bare, people are still scared and hoarding.
>
> I guess I have enough of a hoard already, and I've got plenty of brass,
> primers, powder and bullets in case I need more. I haven't shopped for
> ammo in many years now. Actually I haven't been doing any shooting
> lately either.

Yeah, I have about 3000 rds for the AK too. LOL

>>> Then it was for all practical purposes the equal of any .45 Auto in
>>> stopping power, though of course you will never, never, ever convince
>>> the .45-adoring guys of that.
>>
>> I know, so I finally went for the Xd-45 ACP. :) If ya cant beat em,
>> join em.
>
> That's really not good thinking. You didn't join the Obama mobs, did
> you?

<shudder> NO, but this is "to err on the side of overkill". LOL

The composite pistols made this possible. I once tried carrying a steel .45
ACP in my purse and about broke my back, but this XD-45 ACP is pretty light
weight and packs a hell of a punch. And someone mentioned the trajectory of
it, but most self defense situations are inside 7 yards, per my concealed
carry instructors.

Sure a crossbow sounds cool but I cant carry one with me concealed.

>> COme to think of it, I still have that XD-9 around and need to sell it.
>> <sigh> But a woman cant have too many guns. ;-)
>
> I'd sell the XD-45 instead and keep the more sensible 9.

Why is it more sensible, with little weight difference and more punch?

> Just on the remote chance the survivalists are right and our gummint may
> fall apart some day leading to massive civil disorder, it's not a bad
> idea to have something that will accept military ammo. There will ALWAYS
> be millions and millions of rounds of 9mm NATO around SOMEWHERE. And
> there will be people who have ways of getting to it.

True, but then again, 9mm FMJ ( what the military gets stuck with because of
the stupid Geneva Convention ) is a poor stopper. I WOULD NOT use anything
but JHP+P in a 9mm for self defense.

>>> They do LOVE their pumpkin rollers! They
>>> think a bullet that big just must be best -- never mind that it comes
>>> out of a basically low-pressure cartridge (the .45 Auto can't handle
>>> more than half the chamber pressure of the 9mm Luger) and has about
>>> the trajectory of a slingshot.
>>
>> Yeah, but hit a bad guy in the shoulder and the whole arm will be gone.
>> :)
>
> BALONEY. And don't believe those silly stories about the .45 having
> "knockdown power" either. No handgun has "knockdown power" and no rifle
> does either for that matter, unless it's something like a .300 Magnum
> being used on a chipmunk.

Hmm, guess I was believing those stories, especially when they were told my
ex-military guys who was the .45 in battle.

>> You should see the hand of the woman who was running the "ladies night"
>> I used to attend, at the local gun shop here. She accidentally shot
>> herself through the hand with a 9mm JHP. What a mess. Havent seen her
>> in awhile, but she said it would take years of rehab to use the hand
>> again.
>
> Nasty business. But I'd sure like to know how she managed to shoot
> herself through the hand.

Freak accident, while trying to clean a stupid customer's very dirty mucked
up pistol. She didn't have her hand in front, in fact wouldnt, but it sprang
back on her and fired, and her hand was knocked in front just as it went off.

Warning - not for weak stomachs:
http://lakewoodcolorado.net/HAND/handshotaccident.jpg

>>> Read the book "Handgun Stopping Power: The Definitive Study" by Evan
>>> Marshall and Edwin Sanow. They are (or were) two cops who spent years
>>> evaluating actual shootings and comparing the ammunition used in terms
>>> of "one-shot stops" -- actual shootings of people, not just theories
>>> about the subject or blowing holes in ballistic gelatin. Their
>>> conclusion: the best 9mm JHP load did the job better than any .45 or
>>> other cartridge in their accumulated data. Now that was their first
>>> book and they've written a couple of others since, which I haven't
>>> read, so maybe that has changed.
>>
>> I KNOW. Much of the "9mm doesnt have the stopping power" tales come
>> from the military, when the idiot politicians make them use FMJ.
>
> Well, to be fair, it's the Geneva Convention that makes them do that.

I KNOW ( above ). Idiotic.

> Any type of expanding bullet is outlawed in war because it's "inhumane."
> OK to use napalm or flamethrowers on people, but not expanding bullets.

Insane.

> Actually the .303 British in its Mk VII loading had a bullet with
> aluminum nose cone under the jacket, making the bullet tail heavy so it
> would topple when it hit flesh, thus comparable to a JSP or JHP in
> destructiveness, but that was OK because it was full metal jacketed. And
> our 5.56mm rifles have (depending on model) an abnormally slow rifling
> twist for that caliber, causing the bullet to be only marginally
> stabilized and also possibly topple in flesh -- still perfectly legal
> because it's FMJ.

I heard it was actually passed because, if they kill someone in battle, their
comrades just go on fighting, but if they wound them and the guy is screaming
his head off, they have to stop and get him to a field hospital, taking up
men and resources from the battle. So FMJ actually causes more problems for
an enemy than just killing them with JHP.

>> I know a woman
>> who had a guy coming at her and fired 7 rounds into him at close range,
>> before stopping him, because she was dumb enough to use FMJ.
>>
>> FMJ is for target practice.
>
> For me, cast bullets are for target practice.
>
> Actually there are people who for "serious social intercourse" load
> their magazines alternating JHP and FMJ, the idea being that when and if
> you have to use the weapon you can't know ahead of time what the
> situation will be -- the miscreant may be behind something he's using
> as a shield.

I heard that too.

>>> Based on the ballistics figures alone, I would expect the 10mm Auto to
>>> be best in stopping power (with the possible exception of some of the
>>> humungous wheelgun cartridges)
>>
>> Yeah, a .50 Desert Eagle might be amazing.
>>
>> For home defense, the heck with a pistol, we got the 12 gauge pump,
>> with 8 shells of alternating 00 Buck and slugs.
>
> Yes, that oughta work. BTW the police nowadays prefer No. 4 Buck to 00,
> I understand. At close range, even birdshot is devastating.

Yeah but like you pointed out, behind walls etc.

I took a glance once at a little book called The Shotgun In Combat and they
said that each 00 ball is like a .38 bullet and the trauma is squared, cubed
etc when it enters the body. So if two go into someone, it's 4x the trauma as
being hit with a .38 bullet. 3 is 9x the trauma, etc.

Why the 12 gauge is the most fearsome home defense weapon.

>> Still, who would I want defending my country? Or if a nuke was in
>> Denver and needed to be found? Him or Obama?
>
> Our community organizer president is reduced to total helplessness when
> confronted by the problem of a major oil spill.

Not helpless, he's done a great job of obstructing the cleanup, probably for
poilitical ends, like trying to use it to get cap & trade passed and
skyrocket our oil and gas costs.

There were offers of help from 13 countries, including netherlands where
they're experts on dredging to create barriers that keep their country from
flooding. He reused them!

The Governor of LA wanted to dredge up some barrier islands to protect their
coast, but NOOOOO! The Obama Regime said they had to wait months for
"environmental impact studies" first! WHAT?! How will it be impacted now,
because the oil was allowed to hit their marshes?!

Not to even mention the FACT that this spill might not have even been this
bad, had Obama and his envirocommie and "Progressive" friends allowed
drilling on land or in shallower waters, but NO, their tons of regulations
forced the drillers to go far offshore into very deep waters where an
accident like this cannot be stopped with trivial means!

Is 45 miles out, even in the territorial waters of the U.S.? Dont we still
have a 2 mile limit?

> After two months he
> still doesn't know what to do about it but assures us all that he's "on
> top of it."

RIGHT, giving hot air speeches, what he does best.

I dont know if you can tell, but I'm a Fox News, Glenn Beck, John Stossel and
Judge Andrew Napolitano fan. :)

Beck is a patriot and hero to me.

> Meanwhile he (a) has refused help from a dozen countries who
> have experience with oil spills and could almost certainly have relieved
> the situation at least somewhat by now; (b) is threatening BP, the only
> people trying to do something about the leaks, with criminal prosecution
> and has shaken them down for $20 billion; (c) has done nothing about
> Louisiana's repeated requests for permission to build sand barriers to
> stop the oil from reaching their shores, while six or more government
> agencies try to decide whose responsibility it is what they should do
> about it; and (d) has called a moratorium on all offshore drilling,
> killing thousands of jobs, as if that region wasn't already hard hit
> enough economically by the effects of the spill -- and despite the fact
> that 35,000 or so offshore wells have been drilled before with no
> accidents or problems.

Yeah, what I said above before reading down this far. We agree.

> So no, I would not want Obama and his teleprompters "defending my
> country" from any other serious threat. He is already in way over his
> head.
>
> To all those gullible folk who voted him into office:
>
> HOW'S THAT HOPEY-CHANGEY STUFF WORKIN' OUT FOR YA?

Hope these guys can be voted out, before they make us like North Korea.

--
- Jane Galt
From: Jane Galt on
CHDK stands for Canon Hack Development Kit?

Huh?

Whew, that sounds esoteric...

I thought maybe the camera could do all that on its own.

--
- Jane Galt
From: David Ruether on

"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message
> "David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message news:hvlppa$j9e$1(a)ruby.cit.cornell.edu...

>> Perhaps more basic are questions like: why are there genders,

> That's easy. Generally speaking, they are necessary for reproduction. If there weren't two genders, none of us would be here
> having this discussion.

Yes, I essentially said this earlier...;-)

>> why/how is there such a thing as gender identity,

> Why would there NOT be? Knowing who and what you are is a useful thing.

Agreed - but this does not mean that the mental gender identity necessarily
coincides with the physical gender identity, and it does not mean that anyone
knows *how* that identity is established/works (which was my point).

> Those who are confused about their "gender identity" obviously have a harder time of it as a result.

I would not use the word "confused". Those whose mental and physical
gender identities are different from each other know *exactly* what their
situation is and what/who they are.

>> and why/how are there gender or
>> other attractions. The first can be answered easily and logically, but the
>> other two still cannot be answered, and these commonly also show the
>> widest range of possible variations in people/animals who are "normal"...

> Reproduction is still the easy answer.

But it is VERY incomplete, since it doesn't answer the other questions, just
the first.

> You believe questions "cannot be answered" when you know the answers are really there,

Name a reliable source - even one, if you can...

> but inconvenient to your sexual politics.

It would appear that you have considered only one part of the question
of sexuality and have ignored the others - but from past exchanges with
you, this is not surprising since you refused to acknowledge the existence
of inherent homosexuality as being "real", let alone other sexual variations
(hence my surprise when you appeared to be more open in your views...).
--DR

From: Jane Galt on
"Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <noone(a)nospam.com> wrote :

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/44148682(a)N02/4718346638/
> I haven't got an actual photo of the .50 BMG, unfortunately... I didn't
> have the pleasure either to shoot one, but I had the pleasure to drive
> the "Leonidas", I even passed the exams for its driving license,
> following the 1 month course...I even passed the medical, of course.

I like the name "Leonidas" and know the story. Molon lave!

--
- Jane Galt