From: Peter on
"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 23:25:26 -0400, in
> <4c3150d2$0$5505$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>>> We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

>>> WordPerfect wasn't as good as Microsoft, but was better than Lotus.

Lotus was never intended to be a word processor.

>>> But the big issue was simply that it didn't keep up,
>>> and Word for Windows killed it.
>>
>>How many of these did you actually use under battle conditions.
>
> All of them. I've been in IT for a very long [sigh] time.

I used them both under battle conditions. There was simp[ly no comparison.
For short notes Word ws fine. For anything more, Word sucked. Its cross
reference and table functions were easily corrupted. Word would totally
screw up for large documents, but I did say that before.

>>I wonder how many customizations you did of either Word or WordPerfect
>
> Many of both. Word primarily in enterprise environments.
> WordPerfect primarily in legal environments.
> Programming in supported languages (macro and procedural).

And you didn't find WordPerfect superior to Word?
You didn't feel short changed by Novel's and later Corel's support policies?

>>and when
>>Which applications did you do with Lotus or Quattro?
>
> Literally hundreds of spreadsheets of all kinds,
> Lotus 1-2-3, Quattro and Quattro Pro, along with Excel,
> as well as Multiplan, Symphony, Framework, Improv, Javelin,
> and a number of others.
>

> FWIW, my personal old favorite was Multiplan.

I had forgotten about that. IIRC didn't it morph into Excel.

--
Peter

From: nospam on
In article <4c315766$0$5507$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, Peter
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

> >> WordPerfect wasn't as good as Microsoft, but was better than Lotus.
> >
> > in many ways it was much better than microsoft and was (and still is)
> > popular for legal documents.
>
> Most law firms I know have switched to the dark side.

some still use wordperfect, but yea, they mostly have switched. it's
hard to stop a 100 ton bulldozer.

> >> But the big issue was simply that it didn't keep up,
> >> and Word for Windows killed it.
> >
> > actually, microsoft's predatory business tactics is what killed it.
>
> You somehow made my statements look like Navas's.

i would never intentionally do that to anyone! :)

> Notwithstanding that, the original WordPerfect for Windows was poorly
> developed. It had no real functionality on a network. This was just after
> the product was sold to Novel. I went to PC Expo and complained abut the
> bug. the "experts" from Novel said they could not duplicate my finding. With
> their permission I demonstrated two bugs and it took them several hours to
> recover from the "non-existent bugs." Meanwhile, MS was supplying free
> copies of Word to legal secretarial school students and almost anyone,
> especially IT professionals, who asked.

that goes back to their predatory business tactics.
From: John Navas on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 23:39:52 -0400, in
<4c315766$0$5507$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> WordPerfect wasn't as good as Microsoft, but was better than Lotus.
>>
>> in many ways it was much better than microsoft and was (and still is)
>> popular for legal documents.

Simply not true.

>Most law firms I know have switched to the dark side.

True. WordPerfect let the market get away.

>>> But the big issue was simply that it didn't keep up,
>>> and Word for Windows killed it.
>>
>> actually, microsoft's predatory business tactics is what killed it.

Nope, it lost in the market.

>You somehow made my statements look like Navas's.
>
>Notwithstanding that, the original WordPerfect for Windows was poorly
>developed. It had no real functionality on a network. This was just after
>the product was sold to Novel. I went to PC Expo and complained abut the
>bug. the "experts" from Novel said they could not duplicate my finding. With
>their permission I demonstrated two bugs and it took them several hours to
>recover from the "non-existent bugs." Meanwhile, MS was supplying free
>copies of Word to legal secretarial school students and almost anyone,
>especially IT professionals, who asked.

Yep. Dismal marketing versus excellent marketing.

--
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: tony cooper on
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 00:04:16 -0400, "Peter"

>Lotus was never intended to be a word processor.

That statement jarred me, but I think he was thinking about Lotus's
dedicated word processing module. Was it Lotus Notes? At one time I
had "SmartSuite" and I think it had a word processing module. The
spreadsheet module is "Lotus 1-2-3" (which I still use).

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: John Navas on
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 00:04:16 -0400, in
<4c315a05$0$5553$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>> Many of both. Word primarily in enterprise environments.
>> WordPerfect primarily in legal environments.
>> Programming in supported languages (macro and procedural).
>
>And you didn't find WordPerfect superior to Word?

'Fraid not, especially the printer drivers. I was a fan of Word almost
from the get go (copy of v1 I got at the [now sorely missed] West Coast
Computer Faire).

>You didn't feel short changed by Novel's and later Corel's support policies?

Now that I did!

>> FWIW, my personal old favorite was Multiplan.
>
>I had forgotten about that. IIRC didn't it morph into Excel.

They're really quite different. Multiplan was orphaned once Excel took
off. I stubbornly held on for a number of years, but eventually gave
up.

--
John <http:/navasgroup.com>

"At every crossway on the road that leads to the future, each progressive
spirit is opposed by a thousand men appointed to guard the past." -Maeterlinck