From: Neil Harrington on

"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> I started on an Archives CP/M system with two floppies and no internal
> storage disk. The software - VisiCalc or (?) - went in one slot and
> the data disk in the second slot. The (?) is word processing. I used
> WordStar, but I think I used something before WordStar.

On the Apple IIe the first word processor I used was Apple Writer II. Later
I used WordStar also -- it didn't run natively on the Apple, but I bought it
with a "Star Card," an expansion card with a Z80 processor and its own 64K
of memory. Essentially the Star Card was a CP/M "computer on a card" and
just used the Apple for I/O. It worked very well, and at that time there
were tons of CP/M programs free for the downloading, which was a nice added
benefit to the card.

> I'd do spread sheets in VisiCalc and then shut down that drive and
> switch disks to word processing and prepare the report. A PItheA, but
> far better than manual computations and typing the project.

I used VisiCalc too, for investments. As I recall that was the program that
really *made* the Apple as a business-oriented computer rather than just a
plaything for hobbyists and gamers. Maybe it was also (for the same reason)
what got IBM interested in marketing a personal computer.

> I later switched to Lotus 1-2-3 and WordPerfect. I still use Lotus
> 1-2-3, but now use Open Office for wp. I got tired of having to
> upgrade WordPerfect.
>
> I've never used the Microsoft wp or spreadsheet programs. Not because
> I have anything against Microsoft, but because it is easier to use
> what I know.

Since switching to PCs in 1985 I've used a lot of w.p. programs including
freeware/shareware ones, some of which were quite good. But since 1995, when
I bought my first computer that came with Windows and Microsoft Office
already installed, I've used nothing but Word and Excel (well, and Works,
which has a pretty nice little word processor though its spreadsheet program
is worthless).

> I'm not an accountant, but the spreadsheet and word processing
> programs made me money. I was able to submit professional appearing
> quotations and proposals in a short time using templates I developed.
> I'd could get a request for a quote from a hospital on one day, and
> turn in a 25 page quote the next day. I'd have the order in my pocket
> before my competitors could get theirs in.

As far as I can recall, my 27 years of computer ownership have been
perfectly profit-free. Well, apart from the fact that they've been an
enormous help in buying, tracking, comparing and evaluating investments.
Other than that I never made a nickel out of any of 'em. Always enjoyed them
though, and still do.

A few years before I bought my first computer, a friend of mine (who
actually *built* his own, from a kit, with a soldering iron, not just
assembling them from parts the way I "build" them now) told me, "Neil, what
you need is a computer." And I replied, "Paul, what the hell would I ever do
with a computer?" Heh. Now they are practically the center of my life.

From: Peter on
"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message

> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>> "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I always did mine manually until about four years ago, now do it online.
>>> I'm using TaxSlayer.com now and like it. It's cheap (my main reason for
>>> liking it) and so far has worked well.
>>>

>> Most of the tax software programs work well for most people. If you have
>> a need for a more sophisticated program you probably should pay a
>> professional. While the program will do the arithmetic, it will not do
>> the thinking. Most programs are designed to strictly adhere to the IRS
>> position. There are times when the IRS is simply wrong and you can
>> legally, upon proper disclosure, take a contrary position. As an example,
>> I had advised someone to take a position contrary to the then published
>> IRS position. Most software could not deal with that situation and change
>> and the computation would have to be done by hand. Also the inexpensive
>> software does not handle even the most basic multi state issues well. .
>
> My situation I suppose is relatively simple. I'm not in any business and
> my investment income is uncomplicated, just mutual funds and stock trades.
> My income consists of pension, Social Security, interest and dividends,
> MRD from my IRA, capital gains and (the last couple of years!) losses.
> TaxSlayer handles all of that well, and my pretty simple state returns
> too. I file electronically and notification of acceptance by the IRS is
> very prompt, which is nice too.

You need to do what ever works best for you. You don't need to be in a
business to have a complex return. I know some who invest in REITs. The
multi state issues can be a real PITA that a lot of software doesn't handle
well.

--
Peter

From: tony cooper on
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 09:35:51 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>I had looked at Wordstar and Lanier for WP. Lanier offered unlimited and
>reliable support, which meant that a new secretary could be up an running in
>a day. I thought that dot commands in Wordstar would have a much higher
>learning curve, so I spent the extra money. Within two years I scrapped
>Lanier in favor of WordPerfect and never looked back. In those days
>WordPerfect was owned by the WordPerfect Corporation and their telephone
>support was free, great and unlimited. I don't know why you felt the need to
>upgrade every year. the original windows version sucked. It took them
>several years to get it right and my current version, X4, is compatible with
>my old DOS files.

When Corel purchased WordPerfect they stopped supporting versions more
than two back. I didn't upgrade every year, but I had to upgrade to
keep within two versions. I think I started with V 4.x and stopped
with V 10.x. They are now at X5 (which would be V 15.0)

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Peter on
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 09:35:51 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>I had looked at Wordstar and Lanier for WP. Lanier offered unlimited and
>>reliable support, which meant that a new secretary could be up an running
>>in
>>a day. I thought that dot commands in Wordstar would have a much higher
>>learning curve, so I spent the extra money. Within two years I scrapped
>>Lanier in favor of WordPerfect and never looked back. In those days
>>WordPerfect was owned by the WordPerfect Corporation and their telephone
>>support was free, great and unlimited. I don't know why you felt the need
>>upgrade every year. the original windows version sucked. It took them
>>several years to get it right and my current version, X4, is compatible
>>with
>>my old DOS files.
>
> When Corel purchased WordPerfect they stopped supporting versions more
> than two back. I didn't upgrade every year, but I had to upgrade to
> keep within two versions. I think I started with V 4.x and stopped
> with V 10.x. They are now at X5 (which would be V 15.0)

Plenty of support for all versions over at the Universe.
There are lots of really good people there. Since it is a private operation,
trolls are not tolerated.

http://www.wpuniverse.com/

--
Peter

From: tony cooper on
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 12:47:11 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 09:35:51 -0400, "Peter"
>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I had looked at Wordstar and Lanier for WP. Lanier offered unlimited and
>>>reliable support, which meant that a new secretary could be up an running
>>>in
>>>a day. I thought that dot commands in Wordstar would have a much higher
>>>learning curve, so I spent the extra money. Within two years I scrapped
>>>Lanier in favor of WordPerfect and never looked back. In those days
>>>WordPerfect was owned by the WordPerfect Corporation and their telephone
>>>support was free, great and unlimited. I don't know why you felt the need
>>>upgrade every year. the original windows version sucked. It took them
>>>several years to get it right and my current version, X4, is compatible
>>>with
>>>my old DOS files.
>>
>> When Corel purchased WordPerfect they stopped supporting versions more
>> than two back. I didn't upgrade every year, but I had to upgrade to
>> keep within two versions. I think I started with V 4.x and stopped
>> with V 10.x. They are now at X5 (which would be V 15.0)
>

>Plenty of support for all versions over at the Universe.
>There are lots of really good people there. Since it is a private operation,
>trolls are not tolerated.
>
>http://www.wpuniverse.com/

I don't know when that site came into being, but I didn't know about
it when I needed support. The horse is out of the barn.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida