From: Peter on
"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message

> The thing about Wordstar was that you seldom needed those dot commands for
> anything--they were secondary. Most of what you needed to do you did with
> the control key and your fingers on the home row. That was the best thing
> about it.
>
> Classic case of a company shooting themselves in the foot. If they had
> done a proper port to the PC they might still be on top, but anybody who
> used Wordstar on the original PC knows that it was too sluggish to be
> useful--you'd type a paragraph of text and then go get a cup of coffee and
> when you got back the cursor would still be catching up with you. It
> wasn't like that on CP/M. I don't know why so many software companies
> have trouble recognizing that the market is changing and it's not going to
> change back to suit them.

Another case is IBM screwing up its Lotus development. They came out with
Symphony, a program that was supposed to be a spreadsheet, word processor
and database, all in one. IBM gave little or no support to their ISVs and
eventually the product went down the tubes. After a while VisiCalc got very
slow and I switched to all PC. Can't remember when I did the switch from
Lotus, but MS gave me far more development support and QuatroPro, Corel's
spreadsheet, never became an industry standard, compatible with Word and
not even really with WordPerfect. .

--
Peter

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 17:43:33 -0400, in
<4c31069d$0$5556$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>
>> The thing about Wordstar was that you seldom needed those dot commands for
>> anything--they were secondary. Most of what you needed to do you did with
>> the control key and your fingers on the home row. That was the best thing
>> about it.
>>
>> Classic case of a company shooting themselves in the foot. If they had
>> done a proper port to the PC they might still be on top, but anybody who
>> used Wordstar on the original PC knows that it was too sluggish to be
>> useful--you'd type a paragraph of text and then go get a cup of coffee and
>> when you got back the cursor would still be catching up with you. It
>> wasn't like that on CP/M. I don't know why so many software companies
>> have trouble recognizing that the market is changing and it's not going to
>> change back to suit them.

My own take is that the display and printing in Microsoft Word put the
nails in the Wordstar coffin -- even the character-based WYSIWYG display
and the precise typographic control were huge leaps forward.

>Another case is IBM screwing up its Lotus development. They came out with
>Symphony, a program that was supposed to be a spreadsheet, word processor
>and database, all in one. IBM gave little or no support to their ISVs and
>eventually the product went down the tubes.

Lotus self-distructed on its own with a run of terrible products*,
which eventually made it vulnerable to a takeover by IBM:
* Symphony came out in 1984
* IBM acquired Lotus in 1995

>After a while VisiCalc got very
>slow and I switched to all PC. Can't remember when I did the switch from
>Lotus, but MS gave me far more development support and QuatroPro, Corel's
>spreadsheet, never became an industry standard, compatible with Word and
>not even really with WordPerfect. .

Lotus blew VisiCalc away.
Microsoft Excel blew Lotus away.
Windows and Office blew SmartSuite away.

* In Guy Kawasaki's book "The Macintosh Way", Lotus Jazz was described
as being so bad, "even the people who pirated it returned it."

--
Best regards,
John

"Facts? We ain't got no facts. We don't need no facts. I don't have
to show you any stinking facts!" [with apologies to John Huston]
From: nospam on
In article <54d236hant7iufoid3ibu1d95ckfsakive(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> * In Guy Kawasaki's book "The Macintosh Way", Lotus Jazz was described
> as being so bad, "even the people who pirated it returned it."

lotus jazz had little to do with the ubiquitous lotus 123. it was a new
product on a new platform that was poorly designed and poorly written.
but it did come in a nice box.
From: Peter on
"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 17:43:33 -0400, in
> <4c31069d$0$5556$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> The thing about Wordstar was that you seldom needed those dot commands
>>> for
>>> anything--they were secondary. Most of what you needed to do you did
>>> with
>>> the control key and your fingers on the home row. That was the best
>>> thing
>>> about it.
>>>
>>> Classic case of a company shooting themselves in the foot. If they had
>>> done a proper port to the PC they might still be on top, but anybody who
>>> used Wordstar on the original PC knows that it was too sluggish to be
>>> useful--you'd type a paragraph of text and then go get a cup of coffee
>>> and
>>> when you got back the cursor would still be catching up with you. It
>>> wasn't like that on CP/M. I don't know why so many software companies
>>> have trouble recognizing that the market is changing and it's not going
>>> change back to suit them.
>
> My own take is that the display and printing in Microsoft Word put the
> nails in the Wordstar coffin -- even the character-based WYSIWYG display
> and the precise typographic control were huge leaps forward.

WordPerfect as there first, with great support and reasonable price. For any
sophisticated use Word sucked, by comparison. MS had superior marketing and
developer support. When sn ISV can purchase a product for less from a
discount retailer than from the pulisher, do you really think the ISV is
going to stick with that publisher.

>>Another case is IBM screwing up its Lotus development. They came out with
>>Symphony, a program that was supposed to be a spreadsheet, word processor
>>and database, all in one. IBM gave little or no support to their ISVs and
>>eventually the product went down the tubes.
>
> Lotus self-distructed on its own with a run of terrible products*,
> which eventually made it vulnerable to a takeover by IBM:
> * Symphony came out in 1984
> * IBM acquired Lotus in 1995
>
>>After a while VisiCalc got very
>>slow and I switched to all PC. Can't remember when I did the switch from
>>Lotus, but MS gave me far more development support and QuatroPro, Corel's
>>spreadsheet, never became an industry standard, compatible with Word and
>>not even really with WordPerfect. .
>
> Lotus blew VisiCalc away.

True, VisiCalc was never improved.

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 22:53:04 -0400, in
<4c314a6b$0$5487$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>> My own take is that the display and printing in Microsoft Word put the
>> nails in the Wordstar coffin -- even the character-based WYSIWYG display
>> and the precise typographic control were huge leaps forward.
>
>WordPerfect as there first, with great support and reasonable price. For any
>sophisticated use Word sucked, by comparison.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

>MS had superior marketing and
>developer support. When sn ISV can purchase a product for less from a
>discount retailer than from the pulisher, do you really think the ISV is
>going to stick with that publisher.

WordPerfect wasn't as good as Microsoft, but was better than Lotus.

But the big issue was simply that it didn't keep up,
and Word for Windows killed it.

--
Best regards,
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]