From: nospam on
In article <hui236di9v843di1gqnothhfo3nvjd4pke(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >MS had superior marketing and
> >developer support. When sn ISV can purchase a product for less from a
> >discount retailer than from the pulisher, do you really think the ISV is
> >going to stick with that publisher.
>
> WordPerfect wasn't as good as Microsoft, but was better than Lotus.

in many ways it was much better than microsoft and was (and still is)
popular for legal documents.

> But the big issue was simply that it didn't keep up,
> and Word for Windows killed it.

actually, microsoft's predatory business tactics is what killed it.
From: Peter on
"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 22:53:04 -0400, in
> <4c314a6b$0$5487$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>
>>> My own take is that the display and printing in Microsoft Word put the
>>> nails in the Wordstar coffin -- even the character-based WYSIWYG display
>>> and the precise typographic control were huge leaps forward.
>>
>>WordPerfect as there first, with great support and reasonable price. For
>>any
>>sophisticated use Word sucked, by comparison.
>
> We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
>
>>MS had superior marketing and
>>developer support. When sn ISV can purchase a product for less from a
>>discount retailer than from the pulisher, do you really think the ISV is
>>going to stick with that publisher.
>
> WordPerfect wasn't as good as Microsoft, but was better than Lotus.
>
> But the big issue was simply that it didn't keep up,
> and Word for Windows killed it.

How many of these did you actually use under battle conditions.
I wonder how many customizations you did of either Word or WordPerfect and
when
Which applications did you do with Lotus or Quattro?

IOW If you answer to the above is not affirmative on all counts, you have no
clue what you are talking about.

--
Peter

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 23:25:26 -0400, in
<4c3150d2$0$5505$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>>>WordPerfect as there first, with great support and reasonable price. For any
>>>sophisticated use Word sucked, by comparison.
>>
>> We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
>>
>>>MS had superior marketing and
>>>developer support. When sn ISV can purchase a product for less from a
>>>discount retailer than from the pulisher, do you really think the ISV is
>>>going to stick with that publisher.
>>
>> WordPerfect wasn't as good as Microsoft, but was better than Lotus.
>>
>> But the big issue was simply that it didn't keep up,
>> and Word for Windows killed it.
>
>How many of these did you actually use under battle conditions.

All of them. I've been in IT for a very long [sigh] time.

>I wonder how many customizations you did of either Word or WordPerfect

Many of both. Word primarily in enterprise environments.
WordPerfect primarily in legal environments.
Programming in supported languages (macro and procedural).

>and when
>Which applications did you do with Lotus or Quattro?

Literally hundreds of spreadsheets of all kinds,
Lotus 1-2-3, Quattro and Quattro Pro, along with Excel,
as well as Multiplan, Symphony, Framework, Improv, Javelin,
and a number of others.

FWIW, my personal old favorite was Multiplan.

--
John <http:/navasgroup.com>

"Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." -Will Rogers
From: Peter on
"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <hui236di9v843di1gqnothhfo3nvjd4pke(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >MS had superior marketing and
>> >developer support. When sn ISV can purchase a product for less from a
>> >discount retailer than from the pulisher, do you really think the ISV is
>> >going to stick with that publisher.
>>
>> WordPerfect wasn't as good as Microsoft, but was better than Lotus.
>
> in many ways it was much better than microsoft and was (and still is)
> popular for legal documents.

Most law firms I know have switched to the dark side.

>> But the big issue was simply that it didn't keep up,
>> and Word for Windows killed it.
>
> actually, microsoft's predatory business tactics is what killed it.

You somehow made my statements look like Navas's.

Notwithstanding that, the original WordPerfect for Windows was poorly
developed. It had no real functionality on a network. This was just after
the product was sold to Novel. I went to PC Expo and complained abut the
bug. the "experts" from Novel said they could not duplicate my finding. With
their permission I demonstrated two bugs and it took them several hours to
recover from the "non-existent bugs." Meanwhile, MS was supplying free
copies of Word to legal secretarial school students and almost anyone,
especially IT professionals, who asked.

--
Peter

From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 23:39:52 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>Notwithstanding that, the original WordPerfect for Windows was poorly
>developed. It had no real functionality on a network.

I never used WordPerfect on a network. The one thing about
WordPerfect that I miss, now that I'm using OpenOffice, is the reveal
codes. I find OpenOffice much more difficult when trying to format a
page, but I can get around that.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida