From: Peter on
"John Turco" <jtur(a)concentric.net> wrote in message
> Neil Harrington wrote:
>
> <heavily edited for brevity>
>
>> The Great Megapixel Race serves no purpose as far as I can see except to
>> help
>> manufacturers sell more cameras to people who think their pictures aren't
>> sharp
>> because they don't have enough megapixels.
>

> Hey, don't forget the hard disk manufacturers! They're the ones that are
> really cashing in on this "Great Megapixel Race" -- as those larger (in
> file size) images demand increasing storage space.
>
> At the moment, I'm feeling the crunch, personally. I've barely over
> 14GB free, on my 160GB IDE data drive. (A 500GB SATA puppy is ready to
> be installed, but...I won't do it, until I purchase a suitable external
> HDD, to back it up.)

Yup! I learned about backup the hard way. Now I am anal about it.
You can get a 2 terabyte external SATA for under $150.
Enclosure prices are under $20. I use a series of WD USB, because I had
them.

--
Peter

From: Neil Harrington on

"John Turco" <jtur(a)concentric.net> wrote in message
> Neil Harrington wrote:
>
> <heavily edited for brevity>
>
>> The Great Megapixel Race serves no purpose as far as I can see except to
>> help
>> manufacturers sell more cameras to people who think their pictures aren't
>> sharp
>> because they don't have enough megapixels.
>

> Hey, don't forget the hard disk manufacturers! They're the ones that are
> really cashing in on this "Great Megapixel Race" -- as those larger (in
> file size) images demand increasing storage space.

Maybe, but I wonder how many ordinary camera users keep that many of their
image files. In the 35mm days I'll bet most people just had prints made and
eventually lost or threw out the negatives, and they're likely to do
essentially the same thing with digital.

> At the moment, I'm feeling the crunch, personally. I've barely over
> 14GB free, on my 160GB IDE data drive. (A 500GB SATA puppy is ready to
> be installed, but...I won't do it, until I purchase a suitable external
> HDD, to back it up.)

Yes, it's amazing how HDDs have grown in capacity. My first one (about 25
years ago) was 30 megabytes (MEGABYTES!) and when I bought it I wondered
what I'd ever do with all that space. Now you couldn't even put an operating
system on a drive that small.

From: David Ruether on

"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message

> Yes, it's amazing how HDDs have grown in capacity. My first one (about 25 years ago) was 30 megabytes (MEGABYTES!) and when I
> bought it I wondered what I'd ever do with all that space. Now you couldn't even put an operating system on a drive that small.

My first HD upgrade was to a "big" 10 megabyter(!), and I twice(!) bought
4 used RAM chips of 4 megs each for $360 a set! I think I've finally learned,
though, not to splurge on the "newest and greatest" computer gear, since it
so quickly comes to have been a waste of money... :-(
I'm definitely in the "buy-older/buy-used/build-my-own" mode now.
--DR

From: Tzortzakakis Dimitris on

� "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> ������ ��� ������

> "John Turco" <jtur(a)concentric.net> wrote in message
>> Neil Harrington wrote:
>>
>> <heavily edited for brevity>
>>
>>> The Great Megapixel Race serves no purpose as far as I can see except to
>>> help
>>> manufacturers sell more cameras to people who think their pictures
>>> aren't sharp
>>> because they don't have enough megapixels.
>>

>> Hey, don't forget the hard disk manufacturers! They're the ones that are
>> really cashing in on this "Great Megapixel Race" -- as those larger (in
>> file size) images demand increasing storage space.
>
> Maybe, but I wonder how many ordinary camera users keep that many of their
> image files. In the 35mm days I'll bet most people just had prints made
> and eventually lost or threw out the negatives, and they're likely to do
> essentially the same thing with digital.
>

>> At the moment, I'm feeling the crunch, personally. I've barely over
>> 14GB free, on my 160GB IDE data drive. (A 500GB SATA puppy is ready to
>> be installed, but...I won't do it, until I purchase a suitable external
>> HDD, to back it up.)
>
> Yes, it's amazing how HDDs have grown in capacity. My first one (about 25
> years ago) was 30 megabytes (MEGABYTES!) and when I bought it I wondered
> what I'd ever do with all that space. Now you couldn't even put an
> operating system on a drive that small.
Yes, you can. Msdos v 3.3. I remember in the early '80s when hard drives
came in 2 capacities: 10 and 20 MB. Now you could hardly squeege a couple of
RAW files into one. And they were 5 1/4", not like todays 3 1/2" and slow as
molasses. I remember my best friend had a C 64 and he had a floppy drive,
which was as large as a shoe box, and sloooow (5 1/4"). But it was great, at
the day. Our favourite pastime was to play games on the C 64 (you could
hardly do anything else, except making trivial programms on basic-back then,
home micros didn't even have a OS, or BIOS-only IBM combatibles had these
features).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

From: whisky-dave on

"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message

> "John Turco" <jtur(a)concentric.net> wrote in message
>> Neil Harrington wrote:
>>
>> <heavily edited for brevity>
>>
>>> The Great Megapixel Race serves no purpose as far as I can see except to
>>> help
>>> manufacturers sell more cameras to people who think their pictures
>>> aren't sharp
>>> because they don't have enough megapixels.
>>

>> Hey, don't forget the hard disk manufacturers! They're the ones that are
>> really cashing in on this "Great Megapixel Race" -- as those larger (in
>> file size) images demand increasing storage space.
>
> Maybe, but I wonder how many ordinary camera users keep that many of their
> image files.

Personally I think most do, most hardly lookm at what they have saved and
tehy rarely delete anything. Note we are talking about ordinary camera
users.

> In the 35mm days I'll bet most people just had prints made and eventually
> lost or threw out the negatives, and they're likely to do essentially the
> same thing with digital.

probably but maybe they won;t have prints made before they lose their data.

>> At the moment, I'm feeling the crunch, personally. I've barely over
>> 14GB free, on my 160GB IDE data drive. (A 500GB SATA puppy is ready to
>> be installed, but...I won't do it, until I purchase a suitable external
>> HDD, to back it up.)
>
> Yes, it's amazing how HDDs have grown in capacity. My first one (about 25
> years ago) was 30 megabytes (MEGABYTES!).

My first way a 20MB that my work place had thrown out because it didn;t
start up properly, I tok it apart separated teh circuit board from the HD,
which allowed me to push start the fly wheel to the Disc, then stitch on and
it worked fine for about 2 years, but always needing a 'kick start"

> and when I bought it I wondered what I'd ever do with all that space. Now
> you couldn't even put an operating system on a drive that small.

About the same capacity as most DSLRs RAW for 1 picture . :-o