From: Peter on
"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message

> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>> "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Doug McDonald" <mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu> wrote in message

>>> Wow, way before my time. I remember when audio cassettes were used for
>>> storage, but the only computer I ever actually saw using that method was
>>> a Radio Shack "CoCo" (Color Computer). However, I think all Apple IIs
>>> continued to keep the cassette port, long after users had abandoned
>>> cassettes.
>>>
>>> When you could buy a great 140K floppy drive for only $500, who would
>>> want to use cassettes? :-)
>>>

>> IIRC my Apple II had no port for an audio cassette. I did have two Rana
>
> The first Apple IIs definitely had cassette ports, but I don't know how
> long they provided them. Mine was a 1983 IIe and I cannot remember whether
> it had a cassette interface or not, but then I had no interest in using
> cassettes so wouldn't have paid any attention to that.

I checked and you are correct. However, I never used a cassete. Until your
posting I had no recollection of there being one. AS I said, the only
programs I ran on it were VisiCalc and probably a few games.

My wordprocessing was done on a Lanier with a propietary program. (Cost
between 12 & 14 K with a daisy wheel printer. The machine also ran under a
CPM operating system. I did my billing on a home brew program I wrote in
dBase.

--
Peter

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-02 20:32:44 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:

> "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>>> "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message

>>> IIRC my Apple II had no port for an audio cassette. I did have two Rana
>>
>> The first Apple IIs definitely had cassette ports, but I don't know how
>> long they provided them. Mine was a 1983 IIe and I cannot remember
>> whether it had a cassette interface or not, but then I had no interest
>> in using cassettes so wouldn't have paid any attention to that.
>
> I checked and you are correct. However, I never used a cassete. Until
> your posting I had no recollection of there being one. AS I said, the
> only programs I ran on it were VisiCalc and probably a few games.
>
> My wordprocessing was done on a Lanier with a propietary program. (Cost
> between 12 & 14 K with a daisy wheel printer. The machine also ran
> under a CPM operating system. I did my billing on a home brew program I
> wrote in dBase.
>

>>> drives. the whole system with an Epson dot matrix printer cost me about
>>> $4,200, with VisiCalc. As to ROI, I made the cost back in less than 3
>>> weeks. I was able to do financial analysis and projections more
>>> efficiently. When I did such work on a computer I added a surcharge for
>>> computer hours. I deliberately used a dot matrix printer because in
>>> those days there was a perception that if work was done on a computer,
>>> it was accurate.
>>
>> <chuckle> That makes sense.

Yup. I never used a cassette drive on my Apple IIe. I had a 51/4
DuoDrive which was fast and wonderful. I used Apple Works for most
everything, word processing, spreadsheet, and database.
However I knew of some folks who had Commodore Vic 20's with cassette
drives. Most C64's and TSR-80s used cassette, but were capable of using
51/4 drives and ROM cartridges.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 23:32:44 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>I checked and you are correct. However, I never used a cassete. Until your
>posting I had no recollection of there being one. AS I said, the only
>programs I ran on it were VisiCalc and probably a few games.
>
>My wordprocessing was done on a Lanier with a propietary program. (Cost
>between 12 & 14 K with a daisy wheel printer. The machine also ran under a
>CPM operating system. I did my billing on a home brew program I wrote in
>dBase.
>

>>> drives. the whole system with an Epson dot matrix printer cost me about
>>> $4,200, with VisiCalc. As to ROI, I made the cost back in less than 3
>>> weeks. I was able to do financial analysis and projections more
>>> efficiently. When I did such work on a computer I added a surcharge for
>>> computer hours. I deliberately used a dot matrix printer because in those
>>> days there was a perception that if work was done on a computer, it was
>>> accurate.

I started on an Archives CP/M system with two floppies and no internal
storage disk. The software - VisiCalc or (?) - went in one slot and
the data disk in the second slot. The (?) is word processing. I used
WordStar, but I think I used something before WordStar.

I'd do spread sheets in VisiCalc and then shut down that drive and
switch disks to word processing and prepare the report. A PItheA, but
far better than manual computations and typing the project.

I later switched to Lotus 1-2-3 and WordPerfect. I still use Lotus
1-2-3, but now use Open Office for wp. I got tired of having to
upgrade WordPerfect.

I've never used the Microsoft wp or spreadsheet programs. Not because
I have anything against Microsoft, but because it is easier to use
what I know.

I'm not an accountant, but the spreadsheet and word processing
programs made me money. I was able to submit professional appearing
quotations and proposals in a short time using templates I developed.
I'd could get a request for a quote from a hospital on one day, and
turn in a 25 page quote the next day. I'd have the order in my pocket
before my competitors could get theirs in.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Neil Harrington on

> "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> 8^)
>>> I've been relying on tax software for several years for my federal
>>> and state income taxes, maybe hoping for that same perception - but
>>> this year the IRS informed me that the software had made a mistake,
>>> and that I owed money (of course...! ;-) Your post reminded me to
>>> pay it... :-(
>>> --DR
>>
>> I always did mine manually until about four years ago, now do it online.
>> I'm using TaxSlayer.com now and like it. It's cheap (my main reason for
>> liking it) and so far has worked well.
>>

> Most of the tax software programs work well for most people. If you have a
> need for a more sophisticated program you probably should pay a
> professional. While the program will do the arithmetic, it will not do
> the thinking. Most programs are designed to strictly adhere to the IRS
> position. There are times when the IRS is simply wrong and you can
> legally, upon proper disclosure, take a contrary position. As an example,
> I had advised someone to take a position contrary to the then published
> IRS position. Most software could not deal with that situation and change
> and the computation would have to be done by hand. Also the inexpensive
> software does not handle even the most basic multi state issues well. .

My situation I suppose is relatively simple. I'm not in any business and my
investment income is uncomplicated, just mutual funds and stock trades. My
income consists of pension, Social Security, interest and dividends, MRD
from my IRA, capital gains and (the last couple of years!) losses. TaxSlayer
handles all of that well, and my pretty simple state returns too. I file
electronically and notification of acceptance by the IRS is very prompt,
which is nice too.

From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 23:32:44 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>I checked and you are correct. However, I never used a cassete. Until your
>>posting I had no recollection of there being one. AS I said, the only
>>programs I ran on it were VisiCalc and probably a few games.
>>
>>My wordprocessing was done on a Lanier with a propietary program. (Cost
>>between 12 & 14 K with a daisy wheel printer. The machine also ran under a
>>CPM operating system. I did my billing on a home brew program I wrote in
>>dBase.

> I started on an Archives CP/M system with two floppies and no internal
> storage disk. The software - VisiCalc or (?) - went in one slot and
> the data disk in the second slot. The (?) is word processing. I used
> WordStar, but I think I used something before WordStar.
>
> I'd do spread sheets in VisiCalc and then shut down that drive and
> switch disks to word processing and prepare the report. A PItheA, but
> far better than manual computations and typing the project.
>
> I later switched to Lotus 1-2-3 and WordPerfect. I still use Lotus
> 1-2-3, but now use Open Office for wp. I got tired of having to
> upgrade WordPerfect.
>
> I've never used the Microsoft wp or spreadsheet programs. Not because
> I have anything against Microsoft, but because it is easier to use
> what I know.
>
> I'm not an accountant, but the spreadsheet and word processing
> programs made me money. I was able to submit professional appearing
> quotations and proposals in a short time using templates I developed.
> I'd could get a request for a quote from a hospital on one day, and
> turn in a 25 page quote the next day. I'd have the order in my pocket
> before my competitors could get theirs in.

I had looked at Wordstar and Lanier for WP. Lanier offered unlimited and
reliable support, which meant that a new secretary could be up an running in
a day. I thought that dot commands in Wordstar would have a much higher
learning curve, so I spent the extra money. Within two years I scrapped
Lanier in favor of WordPerfect and never looked back. In those days
WordPerfect was owned by the WordPerfect Corporation and their telephone
support was free, great and unlimited. I don't know why you felt the need to
upgrade every year. the original windows version sucked. It took them
several years to get it right and my current version, X4, is compatible with
my old DOS files.

--
Peter