From: Paul Heslop on
SneakyP wrote:

> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>

> > wannabe cops who probably couldn't do it otherwise. jobsworths, again.
> > I am not sticking up for the policy, it stinks. I'm just fed up
> > reading this same stuff from you constantly. I challenge you to make
> > at least one positive stand alone post each day for a week.
> >

> He can't smile man. That's asking too much of the A
> --
> SneakyP
> To email me, you know what to do.

yeah, I had a feeling it was beyond his abilities
--
Paul (we break easy)
Stop and Look
From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:51:11 +0100, Alan Dunlop-Walters
> <alansworld(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>By the way, it's only the Americans who add II, III, etc, after their
>>names. In the UK it's an unknown practice as we have the imagination to
>>give our children different first names to their fathers'. But then,
>>what would YOU know?
>
> Well, let's see. There was George I, George II, George III, George
> IV, George V, and George VI. Just to pick one example. What
> madness. The Edwards and Henrys went up to VIII.

Tony,

It isn't good form to stick pins in pomposity

--
Peter
Sometimes thinks like a Brit

From: bugbear on
RichA wrote:
> Just when you thought they couldn't, imagine this nightmare of an
> idea:
>
> BBC:
> the proposed introduction of police reservists - a pool of volunteers
> to undertake police duties
>
> More uneducated, unemployed looney's to add to "special constables"
> who are already such a pain when it comes to photography.

You're presumably posting from the land of
the used-to-be free?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/TheLaw/videotaping-cops-arrest/story?id=11179076

BugBear
From: Peter on
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:42:46 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>

>>I have a friend , Dominik, from Ireland. When I mentioned he was the first
>>Irish Dominik I met, he said it was the custom to name children after the
>>saint whose day was closest to the birthday. He figured that had he been
>>born a day later. his name would have been Bridget.
>
> It's not an uncommon name for an Irish male if it's spelled "Dominic".
> St Dominic (there have been several, but Dominic of Osma is the most
> well-known) was born in Spain. The Order of Preachers, known as the
> Dominican Order, is well-known to Catholics.
>
> You may know of Dominican College in Orangeburg, NY.
>
> If your friend was born on August 8th, that's Dominic's Feast Day.
> August 9th is the Feast Day for Saint Teresia Benedicta of the Cross.
> He could have been "Terry". Saint Teresa, by the way, was born
> Jewish, became an atheist, and then converted to Christianity when she
> was 30. She died in the gas chamber at Auschwitz.
>
> Nuns, like kings and popes, take on names they were not born with.
> Saint Teresia was born Edith Stein but took the name of Teresa (her
> spelling) Benedicta McCarthy after Teresa's miraculous recovery from
> an accidental overdose of paracetamol (aspirin, to us).
>
> St Bridget's day is July 23rd, but just for English Catholics. (There
> is a general calendar of feast days, and some countries have their own
> calendar.) Dominic does not have a day on the English calendar.
>
> Thanks for bringing up this subject. It reminded me of Dominic Behan
> (Brendan Behan's brother) and his songs "The Patriot Game" and
> "Liverpool Lou". I'm a collector and fan of Irish music, and I had
> to pull out my "The Dubliners" CD and play them. (Not to be confused
> with the movie, "The Patriot Games".)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpOOy7voiZI is one cover of "The
> Patriot Game".

I did misspell his name. I should have written "Dominic."
As far as his comment goes, he is the sort of guy who was always playing
jokes and making wisecracks. I never bothered to check the accuracy of that
comment.
Since he is from Northern Ireland and not Catholic, I am confused by your
reference. And yes, although I am fully aware of the Dominicans and fine
work they do in education, I was not aware of the history of St. Teresa.
Thank you for the additional information.

--
Peter
Every factoid increases my understanding of people.

From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:03:00 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:42:46 -0400, "Peter"
>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>

>>>I have a friend , Dominik, from Ireland. When I mentioned he was the first
>>>Irish Dominik I met, he said it was the custom to name children after the
>>>saint whose day was closest to the birthday. He figured that had he been
>>>born a day later. his name would have been Bridget.
>>
>> It's not an uncommon name for an Irish male if it's spelled "Dominic".
>> St Dominic (there have been several, but Dominic of Osma is the most
>> well-known) was born in Spain. The Order of Preachers, known as the
>> Dominican Order, is well-known to Catholics.
>>
>> You may know of Dominican College in Orangeburg, NY.
>>
>> If your friend was born on August 8th, that's Dominic's Feast Day.
>> August 9th is the Feast Day for Saint Teresia Benedicta of the Cross.
>> He could have been "Terry". Saint Teresa, by the way, was born
>> Jewish, became an atheist, and then converted to Christianity when she
>> was 30. She died in the gas chamber at Auschwitz.
>>
>> Nuns, like kings and popes, take on names they were not born with.
>> Saint Teresia was born Edith Stein but took the name of Teresa (her
>> spelling) Benedicta McCarthy after Teresa's miraculous recovery from
>> an accidental overdose of paracetamol (aspirin, to us).
>>
>> St Bridget's day is July 23rd, but just for English Catholics. (There
>> is a general calendar of feast days, and some countries have their own
>> calendar.) Dominic does not have a day on the English calendar.
>>
>> Thanks for bringing up this subject. It reminded me of Dominic Behan
>> (Brendan Behan's brother) and his songs "The Patriot Game" and
>> "Liverpool Lou". I'm a collector and fan of Irish music, and I had
>> to pull out my "The Dubliners" CD and play them. (Not to be confused
>> with the movie, "The Patriot Games".)
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpOOy7voiZI is one cover of "The
>> Patriot Game".
>>

> I did misspell his name. I should have written "Dominic."
>As far as his comment goes, he is the sort of guy who was always playing
>jokes and making wisecracks.

We of Irish descent are like that, so.

>I never bothered to check the accuracy of that
>comment.
>Since he is from Northern Ireland and not Catholic, I am confused by your
>reference. And yes, although I am fully aware of the Dominicans and fine
>work they do in education, I was not aware of the history of St. Teresa.
>Thank you for the additional information.

Naming conventions are family decisions. If there's no family
convention that says to name the person a certain way, the mother
(sometimes the father even gets a say) picks a name that she likes.
In Dominic's case, the name picked follows a convention but the name
picked happened to follow a convention of a different group. It may
be that the name was picked because someone admired had that name.

My mother picked "Anthony" (After either Anthony Eden or Anthony
Adverse; both familiar names in the year I was born) because she was
tired of the usual typical Irish first names in the family. There is
a St Anthony, but that had nothing to do with my mother's decision.
It was merely convenient that I had a saint's name so there was no
need for saint's name as a middle name.

I've never like "Anthony" or "Tony". People want to assume that I'm
of Italian heritage and there isn't an Italian in the tree. Nothing
against the Italians, but I get tired of explaining that I'm not.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last