From: Alan Dunlop-Walters on
On 28/07/2010 20:41, Peter wrote:

> BTW: do your male royals put their pants on one leg at a time, or do
> they have some special physical facility.

Oh, green green green. How you wish.

From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:03:00 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> It's not an uncommon name for an Irish male if it's spelled "Dominic".
>>> St Dominic (there have been several, but Dominic of Osma is the most
>>> well-known) was born in Spain. The Order of Preachers, known as the
>>> Dominican Order, is well-known to Catholics.
>>>
>>> You may know of Dominican College in Orangeburg, NY.
>>>
>>> If your friend was born on August 8th, that's Dominic's Feast Day.
>>> August 9th is the Feast Day for Saint Teresia Benedicta of the Cross.
>>> He could have been "Terry". Saint Teresa, by the way, was born
>>> Jewish, became an atheist, and then converted to Christianity when she
>>> was 30. She died in the gas chamber at Auschwitz.
>>>
>>> Nuns, like kings and popes, take on names they were not born with.
>>> Saint Teresia was born Edith Stein but took the name of Teresa (her
>>> spelling) Benedicta McCarthy after Teresa's miraculous recovery from
>>> an accidental overdose of paracetamol (aspirin, to us).
>>>
>>> St Bridget's day is July 23rd, but just for English Catholics. (There
>>> is a general calendar of feast days, and some countries have their own
>>> calendar.) Dominic does not have a day on the English calendar.
>>>
>>> Thanks for bringing up this subject. It reminded me of Dominic Behan
>>> (Brendan Behan's brother) and his songs "The Patriot Game" and
>>> "Liverpool Lou". I'm a collector and fan of Irish music, and I had
>>> to pull out my "The Dubliners" CD and play them. (Not to be confused
>>> with the movie, "The Patriot Games".)
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpOOy7voiZI is one cover of "The
>>> Patriot Game".
>>>

>> I did misspell his name. I should have written "Dominic."
>>As far as his comment goes, he is the sort of guy who was always playing
>>jokes and making wisecracks.
>
> We of Irish descent are like that, so.

That explains a lot of things about your postings. :-)

> Naming conventions are family decisions. If there's no family
> convention that says to name the person a certain way, the mother
> (sometimes the father even gets a say) picks a name that she likes.
> In Dominic's case, the name picked follows a convention but the name
> picked happened to follow a convention of a different group. It may
> be that the name was picked because someone admired had that name.
>
> My mother picked "Anthony" (After either Anthony Eden or Anthony
> Adverse; both familiar names in the year I was born) because she was
> tired of the usual typical Irish first names in the family. There is
> a St Anthony, but that had nothing to do with my mother's decision.
> It was merely convenient that I had a saint's name so there was no
> need for saint's name as a middle name.
>
> I've never like "Anthony" or "Tony". People want to assume that I'm
> of Italian heritage and there isn't an Italian in the tree. Nothing
> against the Italians, but I get tired of explaining that I'm not.

You could have changed it at any time, if your really wanted to.

--
Peter

From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 15:40:51 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>> I've never like "Anthony" or "Tony". People want to assume that I'm
>> of Italian heritage and there isn't an Italian in the tree. Nothing
>> against the Italians, but I get tired of explaining that I'm not.
>>

>You could have changed it at any time, if your really wanted to.

Theoretically, true. I forget which, but I tried an entire school
year in primary school to be called "Andy". That was the closest
acceptable name to "Anthony" that I could think of. I put "Andy" on
school papers and told people my name was "Andy".

No one paid attention. I don't remember anyone ever calling me
"Andy". I never had a nickname that stuck. I hoped for "Ace" (A.
Cooper), but no one ever used it. I don't think I'd want to be an
"Ace" today, though. That's kind of a used car salesman or pool
hustler name.

Changing a name isn't all that easy. A friend of mine in high school
had a religious/ethnic name and changed it legally, but it caused him
a great deal of problems in getting transcripts and such when he went
to college. I imagine it was a problem when he applied for a
passport when he took a study year abroad in college.

Once a name has been established in records, it's difficult to change.
Women can go from a maiden name to a married name, or from one married
name to a new married name, but it's harder for men. We find it
acceptable for a woman to take on a married name, but a bit strange
when a man changes his first name.

Most successful name changes are nicknames that stuck. I know a
"Buck" and a "Trey", but I don't know their real first names. The
advantage there is that the acceptance is over a period of time.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
First  |  Prev  |