From: Jim Yanik on
"JB" <nil(a)spam.net> wrote in

> "Ian Bell" <ruffrecords(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have just received a prototype PCB that I need to cut accurately to
>>size (double Eurocard). This is well beyond my poor hack sawing skills
>>so I am hoping there is someone not to far from me (Holt, UK) who has
>>a band saw or something similar that I can use.
>>
> Is that Holt, nr Melksham, Wiltshire?
>
> JB

is it possible to RENT one?

do you have any local equivalent of Craigslist?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
From: Dennis on

"Ian Bell" <ruffrecords(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have just received a prototype PCB that I need to cut accurately to size
>(double Eurocard). This is well beyond my poor hack sawing skills so I am
>hoping there is someone not to far from me (Holt, UK) who has a band saw or
>something similar that I can use.
>
> Help?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ian

Other replies are correct, its very hard on saw blades - my small bandsaw
generates sparks cutting FR4 pcb material...

Another option that I use is block the pcb between a couple of pieces of
scrap wood in the vice. Rough cut to size with a hacksaw. Then sand to size
on a linishing belt or sanding wheel. Use a dust mask.

From: Tim Williams on
Gee, I'm afraid to tell you but if you're that bad with a hacksaw, you're
going to be only slightly less dreadful with a bandsaw. I suggest
bringing a beer or two (payment) and let them do it...

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

From: Spehro Pefhany on
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 09:04:34 -0500, "Tim Williams"
<tmoranwms(a)charter.net> wrote:

>Gee, I'm afraid to tell you but if you're that bad with a hacksaw, you're
>going to be only slightly less dreadful with a bandsaw. I suggest
>bringing a beer or two (payment) and let them do it...
>
>Tim

At least you won't lose any fingers with a hacksaw

From: amdx on

"Ian Bell" <ruffrecords(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have just received a prototype PCB that I need to cut accurately to size
>(double Eurocard). This is well beyond my poor hack sawing skills so I am
>hoping there is someone not to far from me (Holt, UK) who has a band saw or
>something similar that I can use.
>
> Help?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ian
I would clamp a piece of angle aluminum or iron to it, use this as a guide
to keep your line straight, start slow with light pressure and use a box
knife
to put a deep score in the board. If needed, do it on both sides, it will
break clean at the score. Done it many times, you might need to change
the blade once if you decide to flip the board. Then sand to square the
edge.
MikeK