From: Tim Shoppa on
On Aug 13, 5:32 am, Ian Bell <ruffreco...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have just received a prototype PCB that I need to cut accurately to
> size (double Eurocard). This is well beyond my poor hack sawing skills
> so I am hoping there is someone not to far from me (Holt, UK) who has a
> band saw or something similar that I can use.

For prototype use - why not just pull out a good pair of industrial-
duty hand shears and cut it to size that way?

Cutting PCB with a hacksaw I agree is a PITA. But a good pair of
shears will do 1/16" G-10 and similar just wonderfully. My favorites
by far are McMaster-Carr 7102A15. And they are a true joy to use on
nearly any non-brittle pastic sheet: polycarbonate, delrin, PVC, etc.
as well. Get a good pair and you'll wonder why you ever wasted your
time and effort using saws for any plastic under 3/32" or 1/8" thick.

Some claim to use heavy duty paper cutters for slicing and dicing PCB
but I've been unable to do it well with this method.

Tim.
From: linnix on
On Aug 13, 10:15 am, Tim Shoppa <sho...(a)trailing-edge.com> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 5:32 am, Ian Bell <ruffreco...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I have just received a prototype PCB that I need to cut accurately to
> > size (double Eurocard). This is well beyond my poor hack sawing skills
> > so I am hoping there is someone not to far from me (Holt, UK) who has a
> > band saw or something similar that I can use.
>
> For prototype use - why not just pull out a good pair of industrial-
> duty hand shears and cut it to size that way?
>
> Cutting PCB with a hacksaw I agree is a PITA. But a good pair of
> shears will do 1/16" G-10 and similar just wonderfully. My favorites
> by far are McMaster-Carr 7102A15. And they are a true joy to use on
> nearly any non-brittle pastic sheet: polycarbonate, delrin, PVC, etc.
> as well. Get a good pair and you'll wonder why you ever wasted your
> time and effort using saws for any plastic under 3/32" or 1/8" thick.
>
> Some claim to use heavy duty paper cutters for slicing and dicing PCB
> but I've been unable to do it well with this method.
>
> Tim.

I have used thin PCB (<0.5mm) for prototypes and just cut them with a
regular scissor. For thick PCB, v-scrore with utility knife blade
(snap a clean edge after several cuts). They will break apart well.
Anyway, I usually don't cut prototype boards. They are for checking/
verifying designs anyway. For productions, factory v-score and break
them apart easily.
From: Greegor on
> --->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK9ZFhPodZ8
>
> "Just call me Mr. Butterfingers!"
>
> I've found that even dull shears actually still cut FR4 pretty well; sometimes
> it's preferable to a saw.

I liked Conan The Librarian!
It suggests a way to cut your fiberglas circuit board!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHoHaAYHq8

Pay close attention at 0:42 in that video.
From: Tim Williams on
"GregS" <zekfrivo(a)zekfrivolous.com> wrote in message
> I don't think anybody mentioned a table saw. If you got the right balde,
> it should work.

Thing is, a woodworking table saw is *WAY* too fast. You'll burn the PCB
while ruining the blade, even if it's carbide. If you could slow it down
to metalworking speeds (1000 RPM at most), it would work quite well.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

From: Ian Bell on
JB wrote:
> "Ian Bell"<ruffrecords(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> JB wrote:
>>> "Ian Bell"<ruffrecords(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Is that Holt, nr Melksham, Wiltshire?
>>>
>>> JB
>>>

>> It's Holt near Cromer on the North Norfolk coast.
>>
> That's buggered that then!
>
> JB

LOL

Ian