From: Joel Koltner on
"Spehro Pefhany" <speffSNIP(a)interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message
> At least you won't lose any fingers with a hacksaw

---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK9ZFhPodZ8

"Just call me Mr. Butterfingers!"

I've found that even dull shears actually still cut FR4 pretty well; sometimes
it's preferable to a saw.

---Joel

From: TTman on

"Ian Bell" <ruffrecords(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have just received a prototype PCB that I need to cut accurately to size
>(double Eurocard). This is well beyond my poor hack sawing skills so I am
>hoping there is someone not to far from me (Holt, UK) who has a band saw or
>something similar that I can use.
>
> Help?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ian

How come the pcb manufacurer didn't cut it to size?

From: Jim Yanik on
"Tim Williams" <tmoranwms(a)charter.net> wrote in

> Gee, I'm afraid to tell you but if you're that bad with a hacksaw,
> you're going to be only slightly less dreadful with a bandsaw. I
> suggest bringing a beer or two (payment) and let them do it...
>
> Tim

I believe that using a bandsaw is much easier than using a hacksaw.
the bandsaw is doing all the muscle work,and you just guide the workpiece.

With a hacksaw,you have to be applying muscle to the back and forth action
while trying to keep the blade straight and cut a straight line.
IMO,that's harder.

He will need a bandsaw with the correct blade,however,and enough throat
depth for the workpiece.
cutting fiberglass will dull the blade faster,too.(if you cut a lot of it)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
From: Ken S. Tucker on
On Aug 13, 2:32 am, Ian Bell <ruffreco...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have just received a prototype PCB that I need to cut accurately to
> size (double Eurocard). This is well beyond my poor hack sawing skills
> so I am hoping there is someone not to far from me (Holt, UK) who has a
> band saw or something similar that I can use.
> Help?
Cheers
> Ian

We mounted a 'jig saw' under a table with the blade sticking
up, it works quite well.
I often score a viced PCB with a scratch all then snap it along
the score, try a few practice shots 1st.
Ken

From: Jim Thompson on
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:33:59 -0500, Jim Yanik <jyanik(a)abuse.gov>
wrote:

>"Tim Williams" <tmoranwms(a)charter.net> wrote in
>
>> Gee, I'm afraid to tell you but if you're that bad with a hacksaw,
>> you're going to be only slightly less dreadful with a bandsaw. I
>> suggest bringing a beer or two (payment) and let them do it...
>>
>> Tim
>>

>I believe that using a bandsaw is much easier than using a hacksaw.
>the bandsaw is doing all the muscle work,and you just guide the workpiece.
>
>With a hacksaw,you have to be applying muscle to the back and forth action
>while trying to keep the blade straight and cut a straight line.
>IMO,that's harder.
>
>He will need a bandsaw with the correct blade,however,and enough throat
>depth for the workpiece.
>cutting fiberglass will dull the blade faster,too.(if you cut a lot of it)

I've had reasonably good success using a hacksaw to _score_ the front
and back of a board... providing you're trying to make a straight cut
:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.