From: Ian Bell on
amdx wrote:
> "Ian Bell"<ruffrecords(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I have just received a prototype PCB that I need to cut accurately to size
>> (double Eurocard). This is well beyond my poor hack sawing skills so I am
>> hoping there is someone not to far from me (Holt, UK) who has a band saw or
>> something similar that I can use.
>>
>> Help?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Ian
> I would clamp a piece of angle aluminum or iron to it, use this as a guide
> to keep your line straight, start slow with light pressure and use a box
> knife
> to put a deep score in the board. If needed, do it on both sides, it will
> break clean at the score. Done it many times, you might need to change
> the blade once if you decide to flip the board. Then sand to square the
> edge.
> MikeK

Neat, I might just try that.

Cheers

Ian
From: Ian Bell on
TTman wrote:
> "Ian Bell"<ruffrecords(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I have just received a prototype PCB that I need to cut accurately to size
>> (double Eurocard). This is well beyond my poor hack sawing skills so I am
>> hoping there is someone not to far from me (Holt, UK) who has a band saw or
>> something similar that I can use.
>>
>> Help?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Ian
>
> How come the pcb manufacurer didn't cut it to size?

Because this is the 'go naked' service from Spirit Circuits in the UK
where they make you a prototype PCB without silk screen or solder resist
for FREE - but is comes one one of their standard sized boards and you
have to cut it to size. I've had a couple of smaller boards about 4
inches square that I cut with a hacksaw because edge accuracy was not
important. For this one though it is.

Cheers

Ian
From: Ian Bell on
Tim Shoppa wrote:
> On Aug 13, 5:32 am, Ian Bell<ruffreco...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I have just received a prototype PCB that I need to cut accurately to
>> size (double Eurocard). This is well beyond my poor hack sawing skills
>> so I am hoping there is someone not to far from me (Holt, UK) who has a
>> band saw or something similar that I can use.
>
> For prototype use - why not just pull out a good pair of industrial-
> duty hand shears and cut it to size that way?
>
> Cutting PCB with a hacksaw I agree is a PITA. But a good pair of
> shears will do 1/16" G-10 and similar just wonderfully. My favorites
> by far are McMaster-Carr 7102A15. And they are a true joy to use on
> nearly any non-brittle pastic sheet: polycarbonate, delrin, PVC, etc.
> as well. Get a good pair and you'll wonder why you ever wasted your
> time and effort using saws for any plastic under 3/32" or 1/8" thick.
>
> Some claim to use heavy duty paper cutters for slicing and dicing PCB
> but I've been unable to do it well with this method.
>
> Tim.

I have a pair of tin snips for cutting aluminium sheet - I could try
those I guess.

Cheers

Ian
From: Hammy on
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:32:15 +0100, Ian Bell <ruffrecords(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have just received a prototype PCB that I need to cut accurately to
>size (double Eurocard). This is well beyond my poor hack sawing skills
>so I am hoping there is someone not to far from me (Holt, UK) who has a
>band saw or something similar that I can use.
>
>Help?
>
>Cheers
>
>Ian

Why don't you just buy one? You can get some for under a $100.00,
obviously it's not going to be professional grade but its not like
you'll be using it daily anyway's.

I paid about $100.00 for mine on sale and bought a blade for cutting
metal works; like a charm. Still going strong after 2 years and I've
used it for more then just cutting PCB's. Well worth the money the
things are quite handy to have.

One thing you should know if you have never used a band saw they can
be tricky to cut straight lines so you may want to practice.
From: linnix on
On Aug 13, 3:24 pm, Hammy <s...(a)spam.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:32:15 +0100, Ian Bell <ruffreco...(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have just received a prototype PCB that I need to cut accurately to
> >size (double Eurocard). This is well beyond my poor hack sawing skills
> >so I am hoping there is someone not to far from me (Holt, UK) who has a
> >band saw or something similar that I can use.
>
> >Help?
>
> >Cheers
>
> >Ian
>
> Why don't you just buy one? You can get some for under a $100.00,

Or a diamond bladed wet saw table ($80 to $100). They can cut stones
and tiles, pcb should not be a problem.

> obviously it's not going to be professional grade but its not like
> you'll be using it daily anyway's.

That's the problem. My wife won't let me buy and store it after
occasional uses.