From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Nov 17, 7:56 pm, DevilsPGD <spam_narf_s...(a)crazyhat.net> wrote:
> In message <gfs6d8$4q...(a)aioe.org> FBonServer2008X64 <f...(a)nospam.com> was
>
> claimed to have wrote:
> >DevilsPGD wrote:

> >> If it's compatible, sure. The problem is that some aftermarket ink has
> >> been sold as compatible when it did in fact cause clogged print heads.
>
> >I'm on my 12th yr of using compatible ink with no problems.
>
> Good for you. Not all ink listed as compatible is actually compatible.
> One of my friends worked at a mall kiosk selling ink refill kits and
> "recharging" ink cartridges, and his boss' instructions were to feel
> free to swap labels on the bulk bottle refill kits whenever needed
> (Within the same colour, of course) rather then turning away a customer.

This is interesting, and worthy of note. Some compatible inks work in
a wide range of printers. Others do not. If this is common practice
then I would imagine a lawsuit for burnt out heads if they can prove
the ink provided wasn't at least "compatible" according to the
manufacturer.

Now if you have a real world example of ink that was manufactured to
be compatible, I'd be glad to hear it.

This is why if you use bulk ink you really need to get information
from those who had experience with it. For me, I bought the cheapest
printer possible before taking the plunge, the Canon ip3000 was $45 so
it would be no great loss if the printer exploded.

> It didn't matter what make or model of printer you wanted, you needed
> yellow, you got "generic yellow" (although I believe he said they kept
> photo ink separate from regular ink)

Ah OK, so they are swapping out black ink. For text 600dpi is common
place on inkjets. You can swap out dye for pigment with only a loss
in quality.

> >Oh, I'm sure you're aware of the fact that any ink, including the much
> >over priced oem ink, can and does cause clogged print heads, right?
>
> Sure. If this happens under the warranty period it also gets fixed by
> the manufacturer.

Actually Canon ships out replacement heads with few questions asked,
and they don't even want the old head back. They sort of depend on
the end user's honesty. If an Epson fails, they either get sent a
factory referb or get sent to a repair facility, either way the
printer gets replaced while under warranty. The burden of proof that
it failed is on the consumer, which is easy to establish. The burden
of proof it was the fault of ink is on the manufacturer, and that's a
tough case to prove.

From: FBonVistaX64 on
DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <gfs6d8$4qm$1(a)aioe.org> FBonServer2008X64 <fb(a)nospam.com> was
> claimed to have wrote:
>
>> DevilsPGD wrote:

>>> If it's compatible, sure. The problem is that some aftermarket ink has
>>> been sold as compatible when it did in fact cause clogged print heads.
>> I'm on my 12th yr of using compatible ink with no problems.
>
> Good for you. Not all ink listed as compatible is actually compatible.
> One of my friends worked at a mall kiosk selling ink refill kits and
> "recharging" ink cartridges, and his boss' instructions were to feel
> free to swap labels on the bulk bottle refill kits whenever needed
> (Within the same colour, of course) rather then turning away a customer.
>
> It didn't matter what make or model of printer you wanted, you needed
> yellow, you got "generic yellow" (although I believe he said they kept
> photo ink separate from regular ink)
>
> Interestingly they used OEM ink on the printers in the kiosk not their
> refill kits, that's rather telling too.
>
> All that being said I'm not saying that the generic ink is always bad,
> it obviously works much of the time otherwise there wouldn't be repeat
> buyers, but at the same time you don't really know what you're getting.
>
>> Oh, I'm sure you're aware of the fact that any ink, including the much
>> over priced oem ink, can and does cause clogged print heads, right?
>
> Sure. If this happens under the warranty period it also gets fixed by
> the manufacturer.

You're confusing "generic" with "compatible".
I've never bought or used any "generic" labeled ink, nor do I intend to.
Face it, we're talking liquid ink.
It's not rocket science.
From: measekite on
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:09:57 -0800, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

> On Nov 17, 7:56 pm, DevilsPGD <spam_narf_s...(a)crazyhat.net> wrote:
>> In message <gfs6d8$4q...(a)aioe.org> FBonServer2008X64 <f...(a)nospam.com> was
>>
>> claimed to have wrote:

>> >I'm on my 12th yr of using compatible ink with no problems.
>>
>> Good for you. Not all ink listed as compatible is actually compatible.
>> One of my friends worked at a mall kiosk selling ink refill kits and
>> "recharging" ink cartridges, and his boss' instructions were to feel
>> free to swap labels on the bulk bottle refill kits whenever needed
>> (Within the same colour, of course) rather then turning away a customer.
>
> This is interesting, and worthy of note. Some compatible inks work in
> a wide range of printers. Others do not. If this is common practice
> then I would imagine a lawsuit for burnt out heads if they can prove
> the ink provided wasn't at least "compatible" according to the
> manufacturer.

Compatibility is just a word with little meaning. Ink is either the mfg
recommended ink or it is not.

> Now if you have a real world example of ink that was manufactured to be
> compatible, I'd be glad to hear it.
>
> This is why if you use bulk ink you really need to get information from
> those who had experience with it. For me, I bought the cheapest printer

Why take advice from someone making decisions only about money.

> possible before taking the plunge, the Canon ip3000 was $45 so it would
> be no great loss if the printer exploded.
>
>> It didn't matter what make or model of printer you wanted, you needed
>> yellow, you got "generic yellow" (although I believe he said they kept
>> photo ink separate from regular ink)
>
> Ah OK, so they are swapping out black ink. For text 600dpi is common
> place on inkjets. You can swap out dye for pigment with only a loss in
> quality.

No using OEM is a loss in quality.

>> >Oh, I'm sure you're aware of the fact that any ink, including the much
>> >over priced oem ink, can and does cause clogged print heads, right?
>>
>> Sure. If this happens under the warranty period it also gets fixed by
>> the manufacturer.
>
> Actually Canon ships out replacement heads with few questions asked, and
> they don't even want the old head back. They sort of depend on the end
> user's honesty. If an Epson fails, they either get sent a factory
> referb or get sent to a repair facility, either way the printer gets
> replaced while under warranty. The burden of proof that it failed is on
> the consumer, which is easy to establish. The burden of proof it was
> the fault of ink is on the manufacturer, and that's a tough case to
> prove.

Not it is not,.
From: measekite on
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:41:30 -0800, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

> On Nov 15, 7:39 am, " Amy Moore" <no.s...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
>> We are using the Canon i860 desktop color printer.
>> This printer comes with 5 color ink cartridges.
>> Last few months, after we installed new Canon 3e - the large black ink
>> cartridge, ink will be empty within few hours, even without printing
>> anything. So far, we went through 6 new ink cartridges. We also clean and
>> replaced the print head assembly (we purchased 2 new printer heads) with the
>> same result. Any one out there has the same experiences and how to fix this
>> problem?
>
> I'd like to help, but if you replaced the head, and if you are using
> Canon OEM ink, and ink is being dumped at a rate of about 20 ml ever
> few hours?
>
> I'd do as Arthur suggests, check to make sure the ink is actually
> "gone". There are some aftermarket cartridges that leak, but to leak

If you use OEM you do not have these issues.

> this quickly odds are you'd see it before you pop it in the printer.
> A printhead gasket would possibly explain this as well, though a few
> hours is pretty quick.
>
> If you've verified the ink is actually gone I can only think of a few
> causes to the problem
>
> 1) Leaky cartridges
> 2) Printhead gasket
> 3) Bad logic board (as in the printer is stuck on a cleaning cycle)
>
> (1) would be amazing but not impossible.
> (2) is at least possible
> (3) At this rate of speed, I lean toward this as the explanation.
> Firing at full steam it's very possible to drain a bci-3e in 1/2
> hour.
>

> The i860 is a printer worth keeping in service, but if you've actually

No it is not. The new Canons print better, print faster, have dual paper
trays, and print duplex under most OS.

> lost 100ml of ink into the
printer, unless you feel comfortable
> replacing the waste pad, it's time to consider a new one.

Another waste of time.

> http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN627LL/A?cid=AOS%2DUS%2DSHOP%2DFroogle
>
> This is the best price for the ip4500. It'll cost more to operate than
> the i860, but not as much as the new ip4600.

but the quality is better and faster and it has more features. A no
brainer.
From: Amy Moore on
"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> wrote in message
> Where did your tech look for the ink.
>

> Most inkjet printers have a series of pads near their base (often under
> the printer mechanism), which hold "waste ink". It can be delivered via a
> tube or via dripping down, etc. Obviously, the ink has to be going
> somewhere, and I expect that's where it is. It may begin to leak out the
> bottom if this continues.
>
> Most of the time ink leaks because the cartridge is not functioning
> properly due to a hole in the wrong place, or a broken seal, or a stopper
> not properly sealed, or the cartridge not sealing properly on installation
> around the head carriage parts and so forth. Are these refilled
> cartridges or new original Canon cartridge (that could get very
> expensive).
>
> Art

These are all 6 new Genuine Canon 3e Black ink cartridges. Now 7 new ones,
over one hundred dollars and more than the cost of the printer at this time.

Look everywhere at the bottom of the print - found no ink leaking.