From: Amy Moore on
> Actually Canon ships out replacement heads with few questions asked,
> and they don't even want the old head back. They sort of depend on
> the end user's honesty. If an Epson fails, they either get sent a
> factory referb or get sent to a repair facility, either way the
> printer gets replaced while under warranty. The burden of proof that
> it failed is on the consumer, which is easy to establish. The burden
> of proof it was the fault of ink is on the manufacturer, and that's a
> tough case to prove.

Well, we have 3 new print heads in this offices for a bunch of Canon
printers of the same models.
In this case, we swapped cleaned print heads, but failed to stop cartirdge
ink getting empty quickly.

From: Amy Moore on
"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> wrote in message
>I just found your original posting here.
>
> As you sure the ink cartridges are empty when you remove them, or is the
> printer just stating they are empty?
>

> It would seem to me that if 6 large black ink cartridges have emptied into
> the printer:
>
> 1: it would be leaking in out the bottom or soon will
>
> 2: The cost of 6 large black OEM ink cartridge are more valuable than
> replacing the printer. Although I am not big on replacing printers which
> can be replaced, if the printer is having that extreme an issue, and is
> likely to start now leaking ink out the bottom, it might be time to
> replace it.
>
> Art

Yes, the ink cartridge was empty. The computer showed warning dialog, and
the printer stops working.

We cannot find any leak ink at the bottom of the printer anywhere.

We only use new Canon ink cartridges. Now we have 7 empty 3e black ink
cartridges in 2 weeks. We probably printed no more than 30 pages. This is
getting quite expensive.

From: Amy Moore on
"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> wrote in message
>I just found your original posting here.
>
> As you sure the ink cartridges are empty when you remove them, or is the
> printer just stating they are empty?
>

> It would seem to me that if 6 large black ink cartridges have emptied into
> the printer:
>
> 1: it would be leaking in out the bottom or soon will
>
> 2: The cost of 6 large black OEM ink cartridge are more valuable than
> replacing the printer. Although I am not big on replacing printers which
> can be replaced, if the printer is having that extreme an issue, and is
> likely to start now leaking ink out the bottom, it might be time to
> replace it.
>
> Art

Yes, the ink cartridge was empty. The computer showed warning dialog, and
the printer stops working.

We cannot find any leak ink at the bottom of the printer anywhere.

We have swapped cleaned new print heads too.

From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Nov 18, 9:36 am, measekite <inkysti...(a)oem.com> wrote:

> > If you've verified the ink is actually gone I can only think of a few
> > causes to the problem
>
> > 1) Leaky cartridges
> > 2) Printhead gasket
> > 3) Bad logic board (as in the printer is stuck on a cleaning cycle)
>
> > (1) would be amazing but not impossible.
> > (2) is at least possible
> > (3) At this rate of speed, I lean toward this as the explanation.
> > Firing at full steam it's very possible to drain a bci-3e in 1/2
> > hour.
>
> > The i860 is a printer worth keeping in service, but if you've actually
>
> No it is not. The new Canons print better, print faster, have dual paper
> trays, and print duplex under most OS.

You know the mp520 was released with basically the same printhead as
the i860? Same with the MX700. You know the major advantage to the
ip4500 is it has an extra set of medium sized nozzles as the i860/
ip4000?

Given you can buy a new printer with the same resolution as the i860,
it sort of suggests that the i860 is not that bad of a printer. Text
has remained unchanged.

Dual feeds are "handy" but to be honest, I actually don't use them
that often. It's nice to have a place to stuff envelopes and legal
sized paper. It's not something I'd spend $100 on, just for that
feature.

> >http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN627LL/A?cid=AOS%2DUS%2DSHOP%2DFro...
>
> > This is the best price for the ip4500. It'll cost more to operate than
> > the i860, but not as much as the new ip4600.
>
> but the quality is better and faster and it has more features. A no
> brainer.

Text quality is identical.
Features are only useful if you actually use them.

Look, I'm going to agree in this case that the cost to troubleshoot
the issue, and the possibility of a full waste ink pad are good
reasons to upgrade printers. If it wasn't for these factors the i860
is a fine printer worth keeping in service unless you are interested
in dual feeds, higher resolution photos, and CD printing.
From: Arthur Entlich on
I would have to suggest you contact Canon at this point.

Their engineers would be more familiar with where the ink could be going
and why. Since you are using OEM ink cartridges, you have certainly
shown enough loyalty to their product, so hopefully they can help you.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/