From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Nov 18, 4:40 pm, " Amy Moore" <no.s...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:

> These are all 6 new Genuine Canon 3e Black ink cartridges. Now 7 new ones,
> over one hundred dollars and more than the cost of the printer at this time.
>
> Look everywhere at the bottom of the print - found no ink leaking.

I suspect either main board malfunction, or power supply
malfunction.
I say this because a good tank doesn't leak in hours, it doesn't leak
in days. If you unplug your printer and the printhead doesn't get
capped, it won't leak, not that quickly.

Now if you unplug your printer and plug it back in, presuming an
ip4000, it will do a cleaning cycle. .3g black, 1.00g color. If this
happens every 4min for 4 hours, your black will be empty. However,
your color would be empty too after an hour. But that's not
happening. It's just your black that's leaking.
..14g of black is used to clean if you've not printed black in 24-48
hours.

You spent 6 cartridges troubleshooting the printer. Cartridge is
25ml, 20ml in the chamber, 5ml in the sponge. This means 120-150ml of
ink is now inside your printer. this is equal to roughly 92 cartridge
changes, or 20 sets. The printer uses a counter to estimate when the
waste pad needs to be replaced. That value on the ip4000 is 1800IIRC,
though I don't know what this means in terms of grams or ml. This
120-150ml does not include all the times you changed cartridges, and
all the cleaning cycles you've done on your printer.

If you want to continue using your printer, it's time to replace the
waste ink pad. On top of that, there is an issue with the cartridge
leaking.

It's time to consider another printer.

http://www.adorama.com/ICAIP4500.html
ip4500 from adorama camera $120 shipped

http://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=170365&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=12152&top_category=12054
Canon mp610 all in one $120 +tax from Canon e-store

Either one will do text any better. Both will do photos better.

I hate to break it to you but without test equipment, the best you can
do is throw replacement parts at it, until the problem is resolved.
Powersupply, logicboard, printhead, as well as a number of other misc
parts. You can talk to Canon if you wish to see if they can resolve
the issue, or if there is a warranty plan you can buy into to fix your
printer, but given you have an extra 120-150ml of ink in your printer
above and beyond what normally goes in there, 4 oz of extra liquid,
you're looking at the possiblity of an overflow.

From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
correction

the ip4500 is out of stock on the sites listed

In stock are their multifuctionals
[mp610]
https://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&productId=170365
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Pixma-Inkjet-Printer-2180B002/dp/B000V2MK00/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227126445&sr=8-1
$120-$130

[mp530]
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Pixma-Office-Inkjet-Printer/dp/B000GUO4L0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227126495&sr=1-1
http://www.adorama.com/ICAMP530.html
$100 shipped

The mp530 is less desirable as it's basically the older ip4200 with a
smaller printhead, but the same size as the i860 actually. It's the
fax model with a sheet feed scanner. It doesn't feature a nifty color
screen.

The mp610 slightly smaller, has no sheet feeder, but is the ip4500 AIO
version. No sheet feeder.

From: Amy Moore on
">
> I hate to break it to you but without test equipment, the best you can
> do is throw replacement parts at it, until the problem is resolved.
> Powersupply, logicboard, printhead, as well as a number of other misc
> parts. You can talk to Canon if you wish to see if they can resolve
> the issue, or if there is a warranty plan you can buy into to fix your
> printer, but given you have an extra 120-150ml of ink in your printer
> above and beyond what normally goes in there, 4 oz of extra liquid,
> you're looking at the possiblity of an overflow.

Our tach guys opened three i860 Canon printers and compare any differences.
None found. They showed me the white ceramic pieces where the head parked.
After watch these pads is clean.
Our tech guys talk to Canon. Not much come of it.

From: Amy Moore on
">
> I hate to break it to you but without test equipment, the best you can
> do is throw replacement parts at it, until the problem is resolved.
> Powersupply, logicboard, printhead, as well as a number of other misc
> parts. You can talk to Canon if you wish to see if they can resolve
> the issue, or if there is a warranty plan you can buy into to fix your
> printer, but given you have an extra 120-150ml of ink in your printer
> above and beyond what normally goes in there, 4 oz of extra liquid,
> you're looking at the possiblity of an overflow.

Our tach guys opened three i860 Canon printers and compare any differences.
None found. They showed me the white ceramic pieces where the head parked.
After watch these pads is clean.
Our tech guys talk to Canon. Not much come of it. We already checked
everything.
We wonder if we should select other made printers for the rest of the
office.

From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Nov 20, 12:28 pm, " Amy Moore" <no.s...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
> ">> I hate to break it to you but without test equipment, the best you can
> > do is throw replacement parts at it, until the problem is resolved.
> > Powersupply, logicboard, printhead, as well as a number of other misc
> > parts. You can talk to Canon if you wish to see if they can resolve
> > the issue, or if there is a warranty plan you can buy into to fix your
> > printer, but given you have an extra 120-150ml of ink in your printer
> > above and beyond what normally goes in there, 4 oz of extra liquid,
> > you're looking at the possiblity of an overflow.
>
> Our tach guys opened three i860 Canon printers and compare any differences.
> None found. They showed me the white ceramic pieces where the head parked.
> After watch these pads is clean.
> Our tech guys talk to Canon. Not much come of it.

If you are losing ink where the ink pad is parked, then, near as I'm
aware it goes into the waste pad. You have to really disassemble the
i860 to get at the waste pads.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=308

It's designed to funnel ink to the waste pad. You print
borderless,ink goes to the foam which has holes which go to the waste
pad. You prime the head, waste ink goes to the pad. You clean your
heads, it goes to the waste pad. If you cartridgeThere are those who
estimate 500ml of ink in their pads, but I highly doubt if the waste
pad area can hold that much. I'd buy 250ml though most likely 170ml
which seems to be on par with Canon's 1700 number for waste pad
fullness.

Obviously if your tech guys have the technical skill to replace the
waste pad, well, no worries. If they don't you have 120-150ml extra
ink in your waste pad, 120-150ml that is not detected in the printer's
memory.

This is coming from a person who would keep that printer in service
even if maintenance cost was 1/2 the value of a new printer.

The mp610 jumped up in price on the Canon E-store to $180-$200 but is
still available from Amazon.com for $130. The mp530, the low end fax
model, is $99 from amazon.com. Unless you can replace the waste pads
on your own, it's highly advisable you replace the unit if for nothing
else but the waste pads, but there is an unresolved issue with it
guzzling OEM ink, something that really shouldn't happen that quickly
since gravity doesn't work "that" quickly, not with a new OEM
cartridge, and not very likely with 6 OEM new cartridges. The ONLY
way this might happen is if it was refilled and the refiller botched
the job and left a large hole at the top. Then it might drain in 4
hours, but you would be able to see the cartridge actually leak before
you put it in.