From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
I should add, if you elect to troubleshoot the printer, you'll need
the service manual
https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/3072034-canon-i860-i865-service-manual

Presuming you have two i860s, it's very much possible to take the
logic board from a known good one, and put it in the leaky one. That
should help isolate whether or not it's an electronic problem or a
mechanical one. If you have a technical staff willing to do this,
great. Expect them to be very very busy for a day at least.

If you plan to keep your i860s in service as long as possible, if you
plan to replace the waste pads, you absolutely need the service
manual. I think $5.20USD for the PDF is the cheapest you'll find it.
You may also want the parts catalog as well, presuming it doesn't come
with the service manual.

If your main application is text printing, a new unit won't offer much
in the way of improvement if any.

From: Arthur Entlich on
Most inkjet printers, especially consumer models, don't actually monitor
the waste ink pads. What they do is monitor the amount of ink that is
assumed to go down the waste ink tube(s) with each cleaning cycle, or
purge cycle. After a set number of "drops" are reached they warn or
shut down.

With Epson printers, as one example, should a head clog, and you run
many cleaning cycles, even though no ink may have actually passed out
the cartridge and head to the waste ink pads, that ink is still counted
as used waste ink, and assumed to be in the pads.

Also, with Epson's printers since I know them the best, the numbers are
very conservative, so they tend to shut down when the ink saturation is
about half or less of what the pads can tolerate. Also, much of the ink
(probably at least 50%) is made up of volatiles which evaporate over
time, so if you aren't using your printer and running many cleaning
cycles regularly, much f this ink is reduced in volume evaporates.

The main ingredients left over are the pigments of dyes themselves,
glycerin and glycols which are agents to slow drying prevent clogging
and to thicken the ink.

Most inkjet printers have a waste ink level reset, some through pressing
a series of front panel controls in the correct sequence and other via a
software program. Epson now offers this information on line, when it
used to only be available to service depots. Some other brands offer
this information through other sources.

Some people successfully reroute the waste ink tube from inside the
printer to outside and then place the tube into a jar. This way the ink
goes there and can be monitored, and although one would still have to
reset the waste ink monitor, the ink doesn't end up contaminating the
pads and leaking from the printer.

Some people go as far as to successfully reuse the waste ink as basic
black ink for text applications in an older printer, which is better
than discarding this ink, since glycols are toxic in the environment.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: Arthur Entlich on
Obviously, what is happening with your printer is not normal, and you
need to determine the cause to figure out under what circumstances it is
losing ink.

Removing the cartridge is not a reasonable answer. The machine will
probably run extra cleaning cycles, you will introduce air into the
heads which will cause printing defects, and the head will dry out if it
is left without cartridges installed.

I see no realistic answer beyond repairing the unit or replacing it.
again, Canon or service people should be able to detect the nature of
the defect and tell you if it makes sense economically to repair the
unit. The continued wasting of numerous OEM ink cartridges doesn't make
any sense, IMHO.

From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Nov 21, 8:29 am, " Amy Moore" <no.s...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:

> Well, that pretty much tell us where all the ink went.
> Is there anyway to stop the ink from leaking?
> Should we remove the ink cartridges everything we stop printing?

Arthur bought up the subject of models that can route ink to a jar.
This is likely less desirable in an office environment since that jar
can spill.

What makes sense to reduce waste is

1) Laser
Lasers by their very nature go much longer and faster without service
than inkjets. There are some models that you have to replace parts
over 10,000 to 30,000+ pages that can actually be done by the end
user. These tend to take more basic cartridges and cost very little
per page to operate. Most lasers these days recycle their waste
toner.

2) Professional inkjets
1 network inkjet used by the staff is far more likely to enjoy
continuous use and not waste the ink into the pads. HP has quote a
few "business jet" models where the cartridges are double the cost of
canon, but offer triple the yield. These guys have heads that you can
replace, and actually they enjoy a longer service life than canon.
Prices of these units tend to be twice to three times a base canon
model. The advantage is you don't have to much with it so much. The
disadvantage photo printing tends to be really good on $100-$150
inkjet models.

From: Michael Johnson on
measekite wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 07:39:02 -0800, Amy Moore wrote:
>
>> We are using the Canon i860 desktop color printer.
>> This printer comes with 5 color ink cartridges.
>> Last few months, after we installed new Canon 3e - the large black ink
>> cartridge, ink will be empty within few hours, even without printing
>> anything. So far, we went through 6 new ink cartridges. We also clean and
>> replaced the print head assembly (we purchased 2 new printer heads) with the
>> same result. Any one out there has the same experiences and how to fix this
>> problem?
>>
>> Thank you.
>
> Are you and have you always used Canon ink?

Are you and have you always been the village idiot?