From: Home User on
My IEXPLORE.EXE version is 6.0.2800.1106, and my MSIMN.EXE version is
6.0.2800.1123. So, my version numbers are correct.

As far as my upgrade to IE6, I downloaded directly from the Microsoft Update
web site.

Running IE's Repair Tool has not had any effect. Neither has running it from
Safe Mode. So, I'm still puzzled...

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"Home User" <Home_User(a)no.spam.net> wrote in message
>> > Secondly, I don't have Outlook Express Q837009 listed in Add/Remove
>> > Programs. (All I have is Outlook Express Q887797, if that matters).

> My IEXPLORE.EXE version is 6.0.2800.1106, and my MSIMN.EXE version is
> 6.0.2800.1123. So, my version numbers are correct.

That may not be enough checking. Unfortunately the latest update
is not a security update and hence we don't have a file manifest for it.
However we do have a file manifest for the prerequisite of the update
that you have installed:

<title>Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-018: Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (823353)</title>
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-018.mspx

Expand [-] Security Update Information
and [-] Outlook Express 6 SP1 for Windows XP, Windows XP SP1, Windows 2000 SP3,
Windows 2000 SP4, and Windows NT 4.0 SP6a

to see the file manifest. Check on the versions of *all* those modules
listed.

FYI a previous poster, Joann, had a similar symptom that you are
having and in her case we found that msident.dll was somehow
regressed. We suspect that it was that regression in combination
with the fact that the updates were installed from the Security Updates
CD which was causing WU to think that she needed to reinstall that
otherwise superseded update.

For more information here is a link to a search I did for a previous
poster who reported the same symptom.

<excerpt>
Please read the following threads and see if you can use the information
in them to solve your problem:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?query=joann+837009&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=B0DE109D-10E1-4C3C-BCC9-8EB7A22FC6A0&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

(Web Interface to News search for
joann 837009
)

Note that you may find more people more familiar with your OS
(and all its possible configurations) on newsgroups which specialize in it.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---
</excerpt>

From: Home User on
I checked out the info relative to Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-018:
Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (823353). It states Windows
Millennium Edition is not critically affected by any of the vulnerabilities
that are addressed in this security bulletin. Question: Is it still your
recommendation to expand Security Update Information and Outlook Express 6
SP1 for Windows XP, Windows XP SP1, Windows 2000 SP3, Windows 2000 SP4, and
Windows NT 4.0 SP6a to see the file manifest? Would it even be possible to
check on the versions of *all* those modules listed, since it doesn't apply
to Windows ME? I'm puzzled...

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
>I checked out the info relative to Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-018:
> Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (823353). It states Windows
> Millennium Edition is not critically affected by any of the vulnerabilities
> that are addressed in this security bulletin. Question: Is it still your
> recommendation to expand Security Update Information and Outlook Express 6
> SP1 for Windows XP, Windows XP SP1, Windows 2000 SP3, Windows 2000 SP4, and
> Windows NT 4.0 SP6a to see the file manifest? Would it even be possible to
> check on the versions of *all* those modules listed, since it doesn't apply
> to Windows ME? I'm puzzled...

Definitely. It is a list of modules and they are modules which you have.
The versions of those modules that you have will indicate to us what
update you have applied. If it is as I suspect that your case is similar
to Joann's one of those modules will be regressed to a version which is
pre-837009 and that is the reason that you are getting that update
continually reoffered. Then what would happen is that it couldn't be
applied because you already have a superseding update applied:
823353 + 887797.

BTW if your msinfo32 tool is at all similar to XP's you may find
that using its list of loaded modules is the easiest way to compile
your version of that list. E.g. in XP I can open the tool at that list
by Run... (e.g. Win-R and enter:) msinfo32 /category SWEnvLoadedModules
Then the contents of that list operates as a standard multiple selection
list. E.g. select an element and copy it to ClipBoard with Ctrl-c
or select several elements by pressing a the Ctrl- key each time
one is selected and then copy the combined selection. Etc.

If you'd rather not bother collect the necessary diagnostics
which prove the reason for your problem you could guess
that the reason is understood (as explained above) and then
just uninstall the above two updates (at least) in the hope that
doing that would create a more consistent set of those modules.
(E.g. in the event that the hypothetical regressed module was
one of the ones which was updated by either of those updates
uninstalling them would restore the previous version of it
which would likely be a non-regressed version. So far AFAIK
nobody has a theory as to why so many people seem to have
regressed versions of one of more of those modules.)

HTH

Robert
---

From: Home User on
Here is what I have found:

WABMIG.EXE REGRESSED
WABIMP.DLL *NEWER VERSION
WABFIND.DLL REGRESSED
WAB32.DLL *NEWER VERSION
WAB.EXE REGRESSED
Msoert2.dll regressed
Msoeacct.dll regressed
MSOE.exe *NEWER VERSION
inetcomm.dll *NEWER VERSION

*Newer version than what was listed in the manifest, whereas REGRESSED was
an older version. The rest of the file versions matched.