From: XO on
On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 10:31:56 -0900, "Home User" <Home_User(a)no.spam.net>
wrote:

>snip
>I thought I was keeping up pretty well, for not being a techie. But, I'm
>throwing in the towel. UNLESS, you can come up with a less time-consuming
>suggestion?
---
I threw in towel several days ago. Much easier to uncheck the Critical
download than try to figure this mess out! :-)

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"Home User" <Home_User(a)no.spam.net> wrote in message
> Yes, my msinfo32 doesn't have the feature which allows me to capture the
> version information easily. And, I can do a sort to quickly see if there
> are multiple occurrences of files. Thanks for the suggestion!
>
> But, you lost me with "One possibility (for WinME) is (ironically) if those
> modules all somehow had been (incorrectly) added to its SFP directory at
> that level SFP could continually undo any update made to them which did not
> also update the SFP copy."

Did you try looking for files and directories called SFP?
Find a file called SFPLOG.txt? Etc.

<title>KB260195 - Description of the Sfplog.txt File</title>

> I thought I was keeping up pretty well, for not being a techie. But, I'm
> throwing in the towel. UNLESS, you can come up with a less time-consuming
> suggestion?

Ron Jenner's approach may be less time-consuming--if it works.
That's the problem: it is hit-or-miss and hides information which
may be useful to understand the problem and therefore how to fix it.

But really, what I suggested is hardly time-consuming as some problem
analyses go. All I asked you to do was find all occurrences of the
modules which had regressed, check their versions, and tell me what
the latest one is and where it is. There are only 5 to find, according to
your report. I don't think that there should be as many as 4 each;
so that would be at most 20 file properties to check and record.

An alternative which would give you a bit more control than Ron's
approach would be to find the uninstall directory for the update
before doing the uninstall and then check to see whether it contains
versions of the problem modules and if so if reverting to them will
change your symptom. In this scenario you would be hoping that
if SFP was involved that its copies of the modules would be updated
by the uninstall procedure at the same time. If SFP already contained
the regressed modules and was not properly updated by the uninstall
procedure I think you would have the same problem all over again.

> Besides ignoring it, what else can I do? For example, can I hide it from
> showing up in my Windows Update?

I don't know your UI. XP users can decline an update using its AU
feature. However, that would be suppressing a symptom not fixing
a problem. You have already refined the symptom description
and identified that there is a problem under it: you have regressed
versions of modules. What we are trying to do now is decide
on the best way to get a consistent enough set of modules so that
either: Windows Update doesn't think you need an update related
to them or: Windows Update picks an update to install *and* it is
capable of being installed without causing the same problem to recur.

> You know, something like the option of
> "Choose which categories and updates to display on Windows Update" (I had to
> do that already for Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1, for some reason
> Windows Update thinks I have .NET Framework on my system.)
>
> BTW, I started out in the Windows ME newsgroup, and they referred me here!
> Go figure!

I think it was useful for you to come here to get general information.
For how that information applies specifically to your OS using its UI
I was suggesting you could find more possibilities of collaboration
in newsgroups where everybody sees the same UI and the same
modules and has experience with that UI and that OS tools.

Good luck

Robert
---

From: Home User on
There are only one occurrence of each:
msoeacct.dll, ver.6.0.2800.1106, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
msoert2.dll, ver.6.0.2800.1106, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
wab.exe, ver.6.0.2800.1106, C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS
wabfind.dll, ver.6.0.2800.1106, C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS
wabmig.exe, ver.6.0.2800.1106, C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS

>>All I asked you to do was find all occurrences of the
modules which had regressed, check their versions, and tell me what
the latest one is and where it is. There are only 5 to find, according
your report. <<

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
> There are only one occurrence of each:

That seems too few. I'm curious how you got to this level without
having at least, e.g. copies to restore for an uninstall.
I wonder what normal ME users have?

> msoeacct.dll, ver.6.0.2800.1106, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
> msoert2.dll, ver.6.0.2800.1106, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
> wab.exe, ver.6.0.2800.1106, C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS
> wabfind.dll, ver.6.0.2800.1106, C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS
> wabmig.exe, ver.6.0.2800.1106, C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS

In any case I think what this means is that those modules are all at
the OE6sp1 level. They need to be at 331923 level in order to
look as if 823353 has been installed. I have no idea why you are
being offered 837009 instead, since you have 887797.
(Ah. I just realized what it probably is: 837009 has a Maximum
Severity Rating of Critical while 823353 has a Maximum Severity
Rating of Moderate. You are probably only being offered
patches with ratings of critical.)

I would try downloading, saving and installing 823353 just to see
if it might patch this up. You might have the same symptom with it;
i.e., it refuses to do anything because it sees a superseding patch
already installed. In that case uninstalling 887797 would satisfy
that criterion, even though none of its modules update the ones
that you want to change. The point is that 823353, being a cumulative
update contains earlier versions of the modules that 887797 updated;
so that could be something which would prevent 823353 from being
reapplied. Hopefully not. If you're lucky the correct versions will be
picked up from 823353 and then 8237009 won't appear necessary
any more.

In the (hopefully unlikely) event that 823353 does not install the
necessary updated modules by downloading and saving it
you will have the option of expanding it and extracting the modules
from it manually. What may be more likely though, which you
should check for is whether the 887797 versions become regressed
by installing a cumulative update. So, I would back up those ones
before trying to reapply 823353.

Good luck

Robert
---

From: Home User on
I tried downloading, saving and installing 823353. It would not install,
noting that it needed "...5.5 Service Pack 2 to be installed."

I then uninstalled 887797. However, I found that 823353 doesn't have the
option of expanding it and extracting the modules from it manually.

I ran Windows Update again and it still sees a need for Cumulative Security
Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009). Windows Update
hasn't noticed that 887797 has been uninstalled.