From: Home User on
I owe you an apology. I re-tried, and it did work, and I found the files
after they were extracted. I found the ones you asked me to replace, and I
did so! Hooray! Then, I rebooted, went to Windows Update, and I installed
Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009)
AGAIN! I rebooted, went back to Windows Update and SURE ENOUGH, it is
telling me I need Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service
Pack 1 (KB837009) AGAIN! Now, I've been at this for several days, what is
it that I am supposed to do next, Robert Aldwinckle? Did I miss something
along the way?

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"Home User" <no.spam(a)no.spam.net> wrote in message
>I owe you an apology. I re-tried, and it did work, and I found the files
> after they were extracted. I found the ones you asked me to replace, and I
> did so! Hooray! Then, I rebooted, went to Windows Update, and I installed
> Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009)
> AGAIN!

Why? Are you being forced to do that? You were at 823353 which
should supersede 837009 (in spite of the anomalous KB numbers).
In fact 837009 should have refused to install because all the versions
of the modules you had should have been greater than or equal to
all the ones it was offering you.

> I rebooted, went back to Windows Update and SURE ENOUGH, it is
> telling me I need Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service
> Pack 1 (KB837009) AGAIN! Now, I've been at this for several days, what is
> it that I am supposed to do next, Robert Aldwinckle? Did I miss something
> along the way?

Do you now have all the correct versions of the 823353 manifest?
I'm wondering if perhaps uninstalling 887797 may have regressed
*its* modules to pre-331923 in which case you would be in the same
boat with them that you were previously with the others that you replaced.
Also, I'm curious to know if the ones you replaced stayed replaced.
If not I would suspect that SFP is doing that even though you haven't
been able to detect it yet. Again, having somebody else's working
Windows ME to compare with would be helpful to you.

Good luck

Robert
---

From: Home User on

"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald(a)techemail.com> wrote in message: "Why? Are you
being forced to do that?"

When I go to Windows Update and I scan for Updates, Windows Update has found
1 critical update for my computer: Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009). It auto-selects it!

"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald(a)techemail.com> wrote in message: "Do you now
have all the correct versions of the 823353 manifest?"

Yes, I do.

"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald(a)techemail.com> wrote in message: "I'm curious to
know if the ones you replaced stayed replaced."

Yes, they did.

"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald(a)techemail.com> wrote in message: "...having
somebody else's working Windows ME to compare with would be helpful to you."

Perhaps I should re-post in the Windows ME newsgroup. I guess I've run out
of options here! Thanks anyhow...

From: mae on
I have 98-98se and they are same as for ME.
I don't know if this will help but all versions are the same
6.00.2800.1123; except the following changes per my records:
---------------------
MS04-018 (823353) 07/13/04 Cumulative SU for Outlook Express
files modified
inetcomm.dll 6.00.2800.1441; 06/07/04
WAB32.DLL 6.00.2800.1450; 06/24/04
msoe.dll 6.00.2800.1437; 05/26/04
muninst.exe 6.00.2800.1449; 06/18/04 (Added)
----------------------------
MS04-013 (837009) 04/13/04 Cumulative SU for Outlook Express
files modified
Inetcomm.dll 6.00.2800.1409; 03/02/04
Msoe.dll 6.00.2800.1409; 03/02/04
Wab32.dll 6.00.2800.1409; 03/02/04
oeuninst.exe 6.00.2800.1223; 07/07/03 (Added)

-replaces MS03-014
MS03-014 (Q330994) April, 2003, Cumulative patch for Outlook Express
C:\WINDOWS\Q330994.exe (added) 6.00.2800.1172 03/03/03
330994 includes all of 331923 (Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6.0SP1)
msident.dll 6.0.2800.1123
--
mae

From: Home User on
I posted in another group and someone suggested I review archived threads.
So I did. Here is what I found (see below). I tried it, and it worked fine!
I then ran Windows Update and I got the message: "There are no updates
available at this time." So, I am satisfied. Case closed!
---------------------------------

FROM MICROSOFT TECHNICAL SUPPORT:

From the case log, I understand that you always receive
the notification to Install Security Update for Outlook
Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009). We will work together
to resolve this specific issue through the course of the
case. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let
me know.

I suggest we try the steps below to test this problem.

First, please clean the Internet temporary files with the
following steps:

1. Click Start, point to Settings and click Control Panel.

2. Double click Internet Options.

3. Click the General tab, click Clear History in the
History area, and then click OK in the dialog box that
appears.

4. In the Temporary Internet Files area, click Delete
Files and then click OK.

Note: If you select the item "Delete all offline content",
this will delete all the files which are needed to browse
the Internet website when you are offline.

5. In the Temporary Internet Files area, click Delete
Cookies, and then click OK in the dialog box that appears.

Note: Removing these files will remove automatic login
information which is stored within these files that allow
you to login to Internet sites, so be sure that you have
this recorded or written down somewhere else if you are
concerned about this.

Then, please reinstall the update 837009 with the
following steps:

1. Access the link below to download the installation file
for the update 837009:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
FamilyId=925628BD-1B5F-4B21-8DB6-
EDE1C73F97B5&displaylang=en

2. Restart the computer.

3. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu
appears.

4. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and desktop will
look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is
only temporary.

5. In Safe Mode, rename the downloaded file to
KB837009.EXE and copy it to C:\ (the root directory of
drive C).

6. Click Start and click Run.

7. Type the command below and press Enter:

C:\KB837009.EXE /N:V

8. Restart your computer in Normal Mode and see whether
the issue persists.