From: Home User on
Windows Update keeps telling me I need to install "Cumulative Security
Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009)". I've installed it
about a dozen times, and it still keeps showing up when I run Windows
Update!

Does anybody know a way to fix this?

I am running Windows ME 4.90.3000 and IE6 Version 6.0.2800.1106IC

From: XO on
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:10:31 -0900, "Home User"
<Home_User(a)no.spam.net> wrote:

>Windows Update keeps telling me I need to install "Cumulative Security
>Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009)". I've installed it
>about a dozen times, and it still keeps showing up when I run Windows
>Update!
>
>Does anybody know a way to fix this?
>
>I am running Windows ME 4.90.3000 and IE6 Version 6.0.2800.1106IC

-----------
Let me get in on this thread as I have the same problem. The Windows
Update site would download and install with no errors and say
Installation was successful. But the next time checked on Updates,
said I still needed KB837009.

I went one step farther by downloading the update pack and running it
myself. I immediately get the message, "This Update requires Outlook
Express 6.0 Service Pack 1 to be installed."

I don't know any way to install just the OE SP1. I've installed IE6.0
SP1 and it is there according to the IE "About" window. IE 6.0 SP1 is
there according to Add/Remove program. IE 6.0 SP1 is there according
to BelArc Advisor. But the "About" screen for OE says only OE 6 -
nothing about being SP1.

My version is same as originator of thread except the last
digits/letters are xxx6iS.

From: Home User on
First of all, when I checked for reg key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{2cc9d512-6db6-4f1c-8979-9a41fae88de0}, I found that it did not
exist!

Secondly, I don't have Outlook Express Q837009 listed in Add/Remove
Programs. (All I have is Outlook Express Q887797, if that matters).

Furthermore, I downloaded the update file and ran it from my computer, and I
immediately got the message, "This Update requires Outlook
Express 6.0 Service Pack 1 to be installed."

That's bizarre! Any ideas?

From: XO on
Mow, my IE was installed over my IE6.0 by my ISP disc - I say
installed over even though we did an Uninstall from the 6.0 version I
was using. We Uninstalled from the add/remove menu. We didn't go
through the IE6 eradicate, etc...didn't know of it then.

But, my IE version is:6.0.2800.1106
My OE version is 6.0.2800.1123

Since these match the numbers you say they should be, reckon I should
leave well enough alone - even though I get the update message for OE
whenever I check for Updates? Or run the IE Repair tool even though
the numbers match?

Thanks,
XO
-----

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:38:21 -0800, "MowGreen [MVP]"

From: XO on
Mow, went ahead with IE Repair tool. Then went to Update site and
still says I need the KB837009 update. It appears to install - says it
was successful, but checking updates again shows it still needs
updating. Do you think the ISP provided IE & OE are causing this
problem (only the message saying needs update) because all else works
normally as far as I can tell.