From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"Home User" <no.spam(a)no.spam.net> wrote in message
>I tried downloading, saving and installing 823353. It would not install,
> noting that it needed "...5.5 Service Pack 2 to be installed."

Are you sure you picked the right link? <eg>

> I then uninstalled 887797. However, I found that 823353 doesn't have the
> option of expanding it and extracting the modules from it manually.

Check the instructions in MS04-018.

Also if you use switch /? it will show you a small help window that lists
both the /C and /T: switches, which are the ones you need.

First though try installing the correct version of 823353. ;)
Note that besides links to various language versions
that they are grouped by maintenance level.
The maintenance level you want is OE6sp1 and the language link
within that group is English (I assume.)

> I ran Windows Update again and it still sees a need for Cumulative Security
> Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009). Windows Update
> hasn't noticed that 887797 has been uninstalled.

As I mentioned uninstalling 887797 does not change the versions
of the problem modules. So I'm not surprised that you don't have
a change of symptom yet.

Good luck

Robert
---

From: Home User on
From the Windows Update Catalog, there are no results when I search for
823353 and OE6sp1. I don't know why it defaults to the 5.5 SP2 version.
However, I did locate the file for OE6SP1 (IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe)
through searching the Microsoft web site. Unfortunately, when I tried to
run it, I got the error "This update requires Outlook Express 6.0 Service
Pack 1..." Even more frustrating, when I tried the command line switches
(as you suggested), same error! (Although the /? "help" switch worked! Not
the others, LOL!) So, what's really going on here? Are you leading me on a
wild goose chase? Let's just forget it, because this is too much of a time
robber!!! I'm going to switch to another browser and another email reader
altogether. I've been told Firefox and Thunderbird are much more reliable
and user friendly! What are your final thoughts Robert Aldwinckle??? Haven't
you had enough yet? ;)

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
> From the Windows Update Catalog, there are no results when I search for
> 823353 and OE6sp1. I don't know why it defaults to the 5.5 SP2 version.
> However, I did locate the file for OE6SP1 (IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe)
> through searching the Microsoft web site. Unfortunately, when I tried to
> run it, I got the error "This update requires Outlook Express 6.0 Service
> Pack 1..."

That's why I pre-warned you about the possibility of extracting the modules.
The message means that it thinks you already have applied 823353
(or something which supersedes it.) In order to get around that you would
have to uninstall 823353 first.

> Even more frustrating, when I tried the command line switches
> (as you suggested), same error! (Although the /? "help" switch worked! Not
> the others, LOL!) So, what's really going on here? Are you leading me on a
> wild goose chase?

I don't think so. We have identified a problem from your symptoms
and have tried to find a path to fix it. If you want to have help getting
the package expanded you should disclose more details instead of
"it doesn't work." If you used both the /c and the /t: switch correctly
you should be able to find the modules underneath the directory
your /t: switch specified to be created. (Sometimes it creates
an extra subdirectory which contains the modules, leaving your
new directory empty except for that subdirectory.)

HTH

Robert
---

From: Home User on
Did my "It doesn't work" explanation confuse you? Sorry. But, I used both
the /c and the /t: switch correctly. It just doesn't work. If gives me the
same error: "This update requires Outlook Express 6.0 Service Pack 1...bla
bla bla... "

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
> Did my "It doesn't work" explanation confuse you? Sorry. But, I used both
> the /c and the /t: switch correctly.

I suspect not. I just did it and the only prompt I got was a standard EULA.
I replied Yes to that and the files were extracted to my designated
drive and directory. There was even a window which flashed up
indicating that that was being done.

FWIW here is the command I executed from the directory where the
package was:

IE6.0SP1-KB823353-X86-ENU.EXE /C /T:G:TEMP

As I mentioned it's often unclear where the files will be found
after this because extra subdirectories are sometimes created.
In my case G: was originally set at G:\My Documents
and after the above command I had this new subdirectory structure
which is where I found the extracted modules:

G:\My Documents\TEMP\TEMP>

Note that neither TEMP directory existed before the command.
My explanation would be that the first one was created because
I gave as my parameter for the /T: switch G:TEMP and the
second one probably would have been created anyway even
if I had just specified /T:G: I didn't want to risk that in case
all the modules would have been extracted immediately into
My Documents without any containing subdirectory.

> It just doesn't work. If gives me the
> same error: "This update requires Outlook Express 6.0 Service Pack 1...bla
> bla bla... "

Sounds like you are re-execting the package without giving it
at least the /C switch but I can't help if you won't give me
any more details.

Did you try to find the files after they were extracted?
If you look for them you will find the ones you want to replace.

HTH

Robert
---