From: Ron Jenner on
Robert:
I am running 98 SE having the same problem only I have no idea what you are
talking about as to finding the regression or expanding what ever. Can you
tell me where to find out how to do this. I am having the same problem and
have been for a couple of weeks .

I am going to uninstall the two updates you suggested to see if that helps.
You are way beyond me in this discussion, but I do need help.

Thanks
Ron
"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald(a)techemail.com> wrote in message
> "Home User" <Home_User(a)no.spam.net> wrote in message
> >I checked out the info relative to Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-018:
> > Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (823353). It states
Windows
> > Millennium Edition is not critically affected by any of the
vulnerabilities
> > that are addressed in this security bulletin. Question: Is it still your
> > recommendation to expand Security Update Information and Outlook Express
6
> > SP1 for Windows XP, Windows XP SP1, Windows 2000 SP3, Windows 2000 SP4,
and
> > Windows NT 4.0 SP6a to see the file manifest? Would it even be possible
> > check on the versions of *all* those modules listed, since it doesn't
apply
> > to Windows ME? I'm puzzled...
>
> Definitely. It is a list of modules and they are modules which you have.
> The versions of those modules that you have will indicate to us what
> update you have applied. If it is as I suspect that your case is similar
> to Joann's one of those modules will be regressed to a version which is
> pre-837009 and that is the reason that you are getting that update
> continually reoffered. Then what would happen is that it couldn't be
> applied because you already have a superseding update applied:
> 823353 + 887797.
>
> BTW if your msinfo32 tool is at all similar to XP's you may find
> that using its list of loaded modules is the easiest way to compile
> your version of that list. E.g. in XP I can open the tool at that list
> by Run... (e.g. Win-R and enter:) msinfo32 /category
SWEnvLoadedModules

From: Ron Jenner on
Robert:

I uninstalled 823353 I could not fine 887797 on the computer.

I then went back to windows update and it installed 837009. For the first
time 837009 now shows in the add/remove window. However, 887797 did not
appear in the windows update when I returned after installing 937009.

I am NOT recommending anyone else do this because I had no idea what I was
doing. I am running 98 ES and I still seem to be missing 887797 and 823353,
but I do appear to have 837009.

Any comments of suggestions cheerfully accepted. But it would be better to
send them to my email address as well as the group because this is my first
time in a group and I might not be able to get back here to find them.

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
> Robert:
>
> I uninstalled 823353 I could not fine 887797 on the computer.
>
> I then went back to windows update and it installed 837009. For the first
> time 837009 now shows in the add/remove window. However, 887797 did not
> appear in the windows update when I returned after installing 937009.

I'm not sure it will. 887797 is not a security update.
You may have to get it via the Windows Update Catalog.
However, first you will have to reinstall its pre-requisite, 823353.

<title>Description of the cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797

<quote>
<b>Note</b> Before this update is made available to you
on the Windows Update Web site, you must install
cumulative security update 823353.
</quote>

Even 823353 which is a security update is only rated Moderate
so you may not see it offered with a very high profile either.

Use the Security Bulletin Search Tool to confirm this information
if you like:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

Did you install updates from the Security Updates CD?
I suspect that that is where you could have been seeing
the modules for this update level. It would be interesting
to know what versions of the modules you actually had
but unless you saved that information before doing the
uninstall I'm not sure if it will have been recorded somewhere.
If you're interested you might try looking for a log file made
by your uninstall and see if it gives any sign of the module
version before it is replaced.

> I am NOT recommending anyone else do this because I had no idea what I was
> doing. I am running 98 ES and I still seem to be missing 887797 and 823353,
> but I do appear to have 837009.
>
> Any comments of suggestions cheerfully accepted. But it would be better to
> send them to my email address as well as the group because this is my first
> time in a group and I might not be able to get back here to find them.

You could try using the notification feature of the Microsoft web
interface to newsgroups or just return to this site periodically:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?query=jenner&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=B0DE109D-10E1-4C3C-BCC9-8EB7A22FC6A0&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

(web interface search for
jenner
)

HTH

Robert
---

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
> Here is what I have found:
>
> WABMIG.EXE REGRESSED
> WABIMP.DLL *NEWER VERSION
> WABFIND.DLL REGRESSED
> WAB32.DLL *NEWER VERSION
> WAB.EXE REGRESSED
> Msoert2.dll regressed
> Msoeacct.dll regressed
> MSOE.exe *NEWER VERSION
> inetcomm.dll *NEWER VERSION
>
> *Newer version than what was listed in the manifest, whereas REGRESSED was
> an older version. The rest of the file versions matched.

That's interesting... ;)
I take it that your msinfo32 doesn't have the feature which
would allow you to capture the version information easily
as I suggested? <eg>

The four modules with newer versions correspond to the only ones
that I have in KB887797\SP2QFE Although there is no manifest
for that update and (the last time I checked) the DLL Help Database
was not up-to-date and although I have a different OS let's assume
that those four are from your 887797 update. (As I mentioned
you could probably get more people with common experience
to collaborate with in a newsgroup which specializes in your OS.)

Since you are comparing with 887797's pre-requisite 823353,
"regressed" may only mean that somehow you managed to apply
887797 without first applying 823353. E.g. you might find that
those modules' versions match the manifest for the previous
cumulative OE update 837009 (listed by MS04-013)

Oh, I see, you have listed only some of the modules in the manifest
and the ones which you didn't list have the correct version?
Then that implies that the ones you list as regressed are true limited
regressions of individual modules. E.g. it is not a case of regressing
a complete update.

In fact, the correct version of all those modules is 6.00.2800.1123
which would have come initially from another incompletely documented
patch: 331923 (again, because it wasn't a security update).

So, where would modules which regress those have come from?
Probably from OE6, the pre-requisite for 331923.
And why would they be regressing? One possibility (for WinME)
is (ironically) if those modules all somehow had been (incorrectly)
added to its SFP directory at that level SFP could continually undo
any update made to them which did not also update the SFP copy.

Please check on that possibility. E.g. see if those modules are
referenced in your SFPLOG. Also search your harddrive
for all instances of them. (Make sure that you are able to see
all modules, including System and Hidden modules.)
Tell us the latest version of each that you can find and where
you found it.

Good luck

Robert
---

From: Home User on
Yes, my msinfo32 doesn't have the feature which allows me to capture the
version information easily. And, I can do a sort to quickly see if there
are multiple occurrences of files. Thanks for the suggestion!

But, you lost me with "One possibility (for WinME) is (ironically) if those
modules all somehow had been (incorrectly) added to its SFP directory at
that level SFP could continually undo any update made to them which did not
also update the SFP copy."

I thought I was keeping up pretty well, for not being a techie. But, I'm
throwing in the towel. UNLESS, you can come up with a less time-consuming
suggestion?

Besides ignoring it, what else can I do? For example, can I hide it from
showing up in my Windows Update? You know, something like the option of
"Choose which categories and updates to display on Windows Update" (I had to
do that already for Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1, for some reason
Windows Update thinks I have .NET Framework on my system.)

BTW, I started out in the Windows ME newsgroup, and they referred me here!
Go figure!