From: Neil Harrington on

"Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message
> In message <4bbb42ed$0$30031$426a74cc(a)news.free.fr>, Ofnuts
> <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> writes
>>On 06/04/2010 03:47, RichA wrote:
>>> I don't think the DSLR line in Hogan's graph should be narrowing that
>>> much, people are still overwhelmingly buying Canon and Nikon and they
>>> don't have mirror-less cameras, but it makes sense compacts are going
>>> away and (yuck!) cellphone with cams are rapidly expanding sales.
>>>
>>> http://www.bythom.com/
>>
>>I don't agree with his vision... the market is split by sensor size:
>>full-frame, APS-C/four-thirds, P&S, phones.
>
> I think the phones will replace the medium to low end P&S "all" the kids
> (actually almost everyone, not just the kids) have phones with cameras
> that are "good enough". Unless they are really into photography they
> will be happy with a phone.

Outdoors, probably. Indoors, I don't think so. Do any phones have flash?
(I'm not up to date on cell phones at all.) People like to take pictures
indoors too, and those I've seen taken with phones have been miserable at
best, even by the lowest possible standard.

> Those that want more will go DSLR or a Bridge camera. The DSLR
> enthusiasts (as a back up) and minimalist photographers etc will go high
> end P&S but this will be a comparatively small market.

Bridge cameras/superzooms certainly have their appeal, but until they can do
a LOT better than the present crummy EVFs it doesn't seem likely they'll
challenge low-end DSLRs. I recently bought a Panasonic FZ35 and it's an
amazing little camera, especially at the price -- but after using it for a
while, what a joy it is to go back to even an extreme-low-end DSLR like the
D3000. Of course the FZ35 does have that impressive 18x zoom, the equal of
which will probably never exist for a DSLR, certainly not without a huge
penalty in price, size and weight. But that seems to me its only real reason
for existence, and I question how many consumers have any real use for that
much lens.

>>Of course the mirror will disappear, but it's peripheral. Canon & Nikon
>>will someday make mirrorless bodies with APS-C sensors that will have
>>all the functionality of current APS-C DSLRs and use their current
>>lenses, and some later day do the same with FF bodies.

Only when we see EVFs with resolutions in the megapixels. I don't think that
will be any time soon.

> I agree... however by that time will the stills camera have been
> replaced by the movie camera with interchangeable lenses? It is heading
> that way now and the mirror is just "in the way"

The mirror is just in the way for video, true. But I don't see video
replacing stills, ever. Right now it has a good deal of novelty value and
I've noticed the kiddies especially love video in their P&S cameras. For a
while. Then their interest in it seems to disappear to be replaced by the
next novelty.

From: Ofnuts on
On 07/04/2010 18:26, Neil Harrington wrote:
> Only when we see EVFs with resolutions in the megapixels. I don't think that
> will be any time soon.

The Lumix G1 is already in the megapixel range (even if they cheat a
little with the number). The 1/1780 rule in the DoF computation has some
physiological basis. It tells us that a "true" 3Mpix EVF will be very
difficult to distinguish from an optical VF and that a 6Mpix could even
be better in most aspects.

--
Bertrand
From: Chris H on
In message <KPidnfbiyYK7LyHWnZ2dnUVZ_rCdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
Harrington <never(a)home.com> writes

>"Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message
>> In message <4bbb42ed$0$30031$426a74cc(a)news.free.fr>, Ofnuts
>> <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> writes

>>>I don't agree with his vision... the market is split by sensor size:
>>>full-frame, APS-C/four-thirds, P&S, phones.
>>
>> I think the phones will replace the medium to low end P&S "all" the kids
>> (actually almost everyone, not just the kids) have phones with cameras
>> that are "good enough". Unless they are really into photography they
>> will be happy with a phone.
>
>Outdoors, probably. Indoors, I don't think so. Do any phones have flash?

Yes most of them. And good low light capability. In fact most of the
pictures on face book are taken indoors on phones.

90% of the kids are not going to bother with a P&S... are not? Have not
bothered. They all have camera phones but VERY few have a separate
camera of any sort (other than a web cam)

From: Chris H on
In message <KPidnfbiyYK7LyHWnZ2dnUVZ_rCdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
Harrington <never(a)home.com> writes

>"Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message
>The mirror is just in the way for video, true. But I don't see video
>replacing stills, ever.

People said similar things about 35mm film replacing 120 roll film....

> Right now it has a good deal of novelty value and
>I've noticed the kiddies especially love video in their P&S cameras.

You mean their phones... I don't know any with P&S cameras. I have done
photos at a couple of 18th parties.... I had the only camera there that
was not a phone.

From: Neil Harrington on
Ofnuts wrote:
> On 07/04/2010 18:26, Neil Harrington wrote:
>> Only when we see EVFs with resolutions in the megapixels. I don't
>> think that will be any time soon.
>
> The Lumix G1 is already in the megapixel range (even if they cheat a
> little with the number).

That's interesting.

> The 1/1780 rule in the DoF computation has
> some physiological basis. It tells us that a "true" 3Mpix EVF will be
> very difficult to distinguish from an optical VF and that a 6Mpix
> could even be better in most aspects.

I'm not familiar with the 1/1780 rule. What's that about?