From: Rich on
On Apr 7, 8:17 pm, "Jeff R." <cont...(a)this.ng> wrote:
> "Rich" <n...(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message

> > I agree, but I hate cellphones, blackberries, iphones, etc.  The people
> > glued to them are frigging zombies.
>
> A certifiably stupid justification for hate.

Zombie.....careful not to bump into anyone on the street with your
head down, glue to the screen...
From: Neil Harrington on

"Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message
> In message <Bv2dnYoasrg-UiHWnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
> Harrington <never(a)home.com> writes
>>> I would be surprised if many people under 50 buy P&S these days. At
>>> least not the low-mid range ones.
>>
>>I don't know. My nephew (early 40s) has a little Canon, shirt pocket size,
>>and his phone is a Blackberry. Do Blackberrys have cameras too?
>>(Apparently
>>they have everything else, but my ignorance of cell phones is pretty
>>complete.)
>
> No idea. Probably it has. Almost impossible to find one without these
> days. I still keep a Nokia 6210 as I sometimes need a phone without a
> camera to visit some customers
>
>>My newest cell phone has a camera, a whopping 0.3 megapixels.
>
> Then it is old... it is difficult to find one with less than 5MP. Flash
> and light for video.

No, actually it's brand new, just got it before going down to Florida last
month. It's a Motorola W376g, on the TracFone system if you're familiar with
that. No flash, and no video that I'm aware of. Just this cheapo 640 x 480
camera.

I'm amazed to see you speak of 5MP cameras in these phones. I realized mine
was exceptionally low res, but somewhere I got the idea that the bigger ones
were 1.3 MP or so.

From: Neil Harrington on

"Ofnuts" <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote in message
> On 07/04/2010 19:59, Neil Harrington wrote:
>> Ofnuts wrote:
>>>
>>> The Lumix G1 is already in the megapixel range (even if they cheat a
>>> little with the number).
>>
>> That's interesting.
>>
>>> The 1/1780 rule in the DoF computation has
>>> some physiological basis. It tells us that a "true" 3Mpix EVF will be
>>> very difficult to distinguish from an optical VF and that a 6Mpix
>>> could even be better in most aspects.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the 1/1780 rule. What's that about?
>
> See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeiss_formula>. The idea is that a good
> eyesight won't distinguish details smaller than 1/1780 of the diagonal of
> a picture looked at from a distance sufficient to see it in full in one
> glance.

Ah. Thanks.

From: Chris H on
In message <1O6dnYEMxa288yDWnZ2dnUVZ_qudnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
Harrington <never(a)home.com> writes

>"Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message
>> In message <Bv2dnYoasrg-UiHWnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
>> Harrington <never(a)home.com> writes
>>>
>>>I don't know. My nephew (early 40s) has a little Canon, shirt pocket size,
>>>and his phone is a Blackberry. Do Blackberrys have cameras too?
>>>(Apparently
>>>they have everything else, but my ignorance of cell phones is pretty
>>>complete.)
>>
>> No idea. Probably it has. Almost impossible to find one without these
>> days. I still keep a Nokia 6210 as I sometimes need a phone without a
>> camera to visit some customers
>>
>>>My newest cell phone has a camera, a whopping 0.3 megapixels.
>>
>> Then it is old... it is difficult to find one with less than 5MP. Flash
>> and light for video.
>
>No, actually it's brand new, just got it before going down to Florida last
>month. It's a Motorola W376g, on the TracFone system if you're familiar with
>that. No flash, and no video that I'm aware of. Just this cheapo 640 x 480
>camera.
>
>I'm amazed to see you speak of 5MP cameras in these phones. I realized mine
>was exceptionally low res, but somewhere I got the idea that the bigger ones
>were 1.3 MP or so.

Most of the phones I can see in the UK are 3-6MP

From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:
> In message <hs6dnb6UEayCVCHWnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
> Harrington <never(a)home.com> writes
>>Chris H wrote:

>>> 90% of the kids are not going to bother with a P&S... are not? Have
>>> not bothered. They all have camera phones but VERY few have a separate
>>> camera of any sort (other than a web cam)
>>
>>I'm sure you're right about that. My great-nephews and -nieces all have cell
>>phones and I don't believe even one of them owns a P&S.

> It is mainly the older generation who still need a son/daughter to set
> up their phone for them who do not even know it has a camera that are
> still buying P&S but this is a diminishing market.

I was standing at a bus stop with an old couple the other day. I
entered the bus stop code into my phone and the bus tracker web site
told me when the next buses were really coming (as opposed to the
fictional printed timetable). It's a free service. The old couple were
amazed!

They were even more amazed to discover that I was using exactly the
same model of mobile phone as they had. They'd been having lots of
trouble with theirs and asked my advice. They'd only had theirs for a
few months and hadn't got the hang of it at all. Their first mobile
phone you see.

The crux of the problem seemed to be that it wouldn't turn on. It
turned out that they didn't know where the on switch was. They'd never
suspected that thing on top of the camera which didn't look like a
button. It did have a little red circle on it, but their old eyes
hadn't noticed that.

I asked about the camera manual. "Oh, we don't read manuals!" they
explained, rather like vegetarians explaining that they didn't eat
meat.

Funny thing was I was older than them :-)

--
Chris Malcolm