From: Neil Harrington on
Chris H wrote:
> In message <KPidnfbiyYK7LyHWnZ2dnUVZ_rCdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
> Harrington <never(a)home.com> writes
>>
>> "Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message
>>> In message <4bbb42ed$0$30031$426a74cc(a)news.free.fr>, Ofnuts
>>> <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> writes

>>> I think the phones will replace the medium to low end P&S "all" the
>>> kids (actually almost everyone, not just the kids) have phones with
>>> cameras that are "good enough". Unless they are really into
>>> photography they will be happy with a phone.
>>
>> Outdoors, probably. Indoors, I don't think so. Do any phones have
>> flash?
>
> Yes most of them. And good low light capability. In fact most of the
> pictures on face book are taken indoors on phones.

Well, that's interesting.

> 90% of the kids are not going to bother with a P&S... are not? Have
> not bothered. They all have camera phones but VERY few have a separate
> camera of any sort (other than a web cam)

I'm sure you're right about that. My great-nephews and -nieces all have cell
phones and I don't believe even one of them owns a P&S.

From: Chris H on
In message <hs6dnb6UEayCVCHWnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
Harrington <never(a)home.com> writes
>Chris H wrote:
>> In message <KPidnfbiyYK7LyHWnZ2dnUVZ_rCdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
>> Harrington <never(a)home.com> writes
>>>
>>> "Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message

>>> Outdoors, probably. Indoors, I don't think so. Do any phones have
>>> flash?
>>
>> Yes most of them. And good low light capability. In fact most of the
>> pictures on face book are taken indoors on phones.
>
>Well, that's interesting.

And you can see the standard (or lack of) of those pictures.... but they
are "good enough" for what they want.

>> 90% of the kids are not going to bother with a P&S... are not? Have
>> not bothered. They all have camera phones but VERY few have a separate
>> camera of any sort (other than a web cam)
>
>I'm sure you're right about that. My great-nephews and -nieces all have cell
>phones and I don't believe even one of them owns a P&S.

It is mainly the older generation who still need a son/daughter to set
up their phone for them who do not even know it has a camera that are
still buying P&S but this is a diminishing market.

I would be surprised if many people under 50 buy P&S these days. At
least not the low-mid range ones.

From: Neil Harrington on
Chris H wrote:
> In message <KPidnfbiyYK7LyHWnZ2dnUVZ_rCdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
> Harrington <never(a)home.com> writes
>>
>> "Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message
>> The mirror is just in the way for video, true. But I don't see video
>> replacing stills, ever.
>
> People said similar things about 35mm film replacing 120 roll film....

I don't know about that. Eisenstaedt, Cartier Bresson, Smith, et al. were
working in 35mm for a long, long time.

>> Right now it has a good deal of novelty value and
>> I've noticed the kiddies especially love video in their P&S cameras.
>
> You mean their phones... I don't know any with P&S cameras.

Yes, I retract that. I was thinking of family get-togethers when the kiddies
were playing with P&S cameras and delighted in the video, but now that I
think of it it wasn't THEIR cameras they were playing with.

> I have
> done photos at a couple of 18th parties.... I had the only camera
> there that was not a phone.

I can easily believe that.

From: Neil Harrington on
Chris H wrote:
> In message <hs6dnb6UEayCVCHWnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
> Harrington <never(a)home.com> writes
>> Chris H wrote:
>>> In message <KPidnfbiyYK7LyHWnZ2dnUVZ_rCdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
>>> Harrington <never(a)home.com> writes

>>> Yes most of them. And good low light capability. In fact most of the
>>> pictures on face book are taken indoors on phones.
>>
>> Well, that's interesting.
>
> And you can see the standard (or lack of) of those pictures.... but
> they are "good enough" for what they want.
>
>>> 90% of the kids are not going to bother with a P&S... are not? Have
>>> not bothered. They all have camera phones but VERY few have a
>>> separate camera of any sort (other than a web cam)
>>
>> I'm sure you're right about that. My great-nephews and -nieces all
>> have cell phones and I don't believe even one of them owns a P&S.
>
> It is mainly the older generation who still need a son/daughter to set
> up their phone for them who do not even know it has a camera that are
> still buying P&S but this is a diminishing market.
>
> I would be surprised if many people under 50 buy P&S these days. At
> least not the low-mid range ones.

I don't know. My nephew (early 40s) has a little Canon, shirt pocket size,
and his phone is a Blackberry. Do Blackberrys have cameras too? (Apparently
they have everything else, but my ignorance of cell phones is pretty
complete.)

My newest cell phone has a camera, a whopping 0.3 megapixels. My previous
one had no camera. I use the thing so rarely I barely know how to make a
call with it -- I got it mainly in case of an emergency on the highway,
though I can't remember ever actually having had such an emergency. It was
handy for meeting my sister at the airport in Florida, and that's about it.
I don't think she uses hers much either.

From: Seymore on
"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I don't think the DSLR line in Hogan's graph should be narrowing that
> much, people are still overwhelmingly buying Canon and Nikon and they
> don't have mirror-less cameras, but it makes sense compacts are going
> away and (yuck!) cellphone with cams are rapidly expanding sales.
>
> http://www.bythom.com/

I never read the article, however it's pretty obvious that P&S are being
replaced by camera phones.

Let's face it, if you want a slow portable camera, why not just use your
phone? In fact, I think the shutter delay on my cheap phone is quicker that
my P&S.