From: Shannon Tucker on
I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
a lot of hiking and fishing. I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
heavy or as big as a DSLR .

I've been thinking about the Canon G11 and the Olympus E-PL1. What is
th common thinking about these cameras? What other camera's should I
be thinking about?

Shannon
From: Nervous Nick on
On Apr 6, 6:16 pm, Shannon Tucker <shannon.m.tuc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Get one that has spell check.

HTH.

--
YOP...
From: Rich on
On Apr 6, 7:16 pm, Shannon Tucker <shannon.m.tuc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
> a lot of hiking and fishing.  I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
> heavy or as big as a DSLR .
>
> I've been thinking about the Canon G11 and the Olympus E-PL1.  What is
> th common thinking about these cameras?  What other camera's should I
> be thinking about?
>
> Shannon

Panasonic G1 with a 20mm pancake lens. Panasonic GF1 with the pancake
lens. Panasonic LX3 for the ultimate in portability, but none of the
P&S's will be as good for action due to their inability to support
high ISO ranges.
From: Shannon Tucker on
On Apr 6, 8:18 pm, Rich <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 6, 7:16 pm, Shannon Tucker <shannon.m.tuc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Panasonic G1 with a 20mm pancake lens.  Panasonic GF1 with the pancake
> lens.  Panasonic LX3 for the ultimate in portability, but none of the
> P&S's will be as good for action due to their inability to support
> high ISO ranges.

G11 goes to 3200. How much higher does it need to go?

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-06 22:10:46 -0700, Shannon Tucker said:

> On Apr 6, 8:18�pm, Rich <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 6, 7:16�pm, Shannon Tucker <shannon.m.tuc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Panasonic G1 with a 20mm pancake lens. �Panasonic GF1 with the pancake
>> lens. �Panasonic LX3 for the ultimate in portability, but none of the
>> P&S's will be as good for action due to their inability to support
>> high ISO ranges.
>
> G11 goes to 3200. How much higher does it need to go?

I have a G11.
3200 on the G11 is marginal and noisy and can look like a smeared oil
painting. If you need to get an image in poor light it will do it for
you. However for acceptable quality ISO 800 will do better. You are
still going to need reasonable light and your best quality shots will
be at ISO 80, 100 & 200, with a push to 400. Unless you absolutely have
to, I would not push it beyond ISO 800, with ISO 1600 on the outer
limit for a picture you might want to keep.
Having said all that, the G11 will produce quality images, gives you
RAW files, and a good control layout.
For what you say you want to use it for, the G11 will do the job quite
well. It is well built and gives you a lot for the money.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

 |  Next  |  Last