From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-06 22:31:54 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

> On 2010-04-06 22:10:46 -0700, Shannon Tucker said:
>
>> On Apr 6, 8:18�pm, Rich <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Apr 6, 7:16�pm, Shannon Tucker <shannon.m.tuc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Panasonic G1 with a 20mm pancake lens. �Panasonic GF1 with the pancake
>>> lens. �Panasonic LX3 for the ultimate in portability, but none of the
>>> P&S's will be as good for action due to their inability to support
>>> high ISO ranges.
>>
>> G11 goes to 3200. How much higher does it need to go?
>
> I have a G11.
> 3200 on the G11 is marginal and noisy and can look like a smeared oil
> painting. If you need to get an image in poor light it will do it for
> you. However for acceptable quality ISO 800 will do better. You are
> still going to need reasonable light and your best quality shots will
> be at ISO 80, 100 & 200, with a push to 400. Unless you absolutely have
> to, I would not push it beyond ISO 800, with ISO 1600 on the outer
> limit for a picture you might want to keep.
> Having said all that, the G11 will produce quality images, gives you
> RAW files, and a good control layout.
> For what you say you want to use it for, the G11 will do the job quite
> well. It is well built and gives you a lot for the money.

BTW: high ISO relates to performance in specific light conditions at a
given aperture and shutter speed. So in good light at ISO 200-400, with
a shutter speed of 1/320 to 1/500, with an appropriate aperture, a G11
will deal with "action" well enough.
....but according to your OP, you don't want it for action shooting.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: bugbear on
Shannon Tucker wrote:
> I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
> a lot of hiking and fishing. I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
> heavy or as big as a DSLR .
>
> I've been thinking about the Canon G11 and the Olympus E-PL1. What is
> th common thinking about these cameras? What other camera's should I
> be thinking about?

The key question here (I think) is do you want to shoot
wildlife, landscapes, or both?

Landscape photography often utilises wide
angle lenses, whereas for wildlife you essentially
want the longest lens you can get/carry/afford.

BugBear
From: Peter Huebner on
In article <5e6b0577-8afd-4914-91b6-7c4ed68374a9
@v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>, shannon.m.tucker(a)gmail.com says...

> I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
> a lot of hiking and fishing. I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
> heavy or as big as a DSLR .

Big - yes. Heavy - not. My 450d with the 'kit quality' 55-250mm lens
feels lighter than the powershot sx20is, although it's a bit bulkier.
It's also so much faster in operation that I do much prefer it for
candid portraits & street photography.

The higher quality lenses for the dslr are indeed much heavier.

-P.
From: Shannon Tucker on
On Apr 6, 10:43 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2010-04-06 22:31:54 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

> >> G11 goes to 3200.  How much higher does it need to go?
>
> > I have a G11.
> > 3200 on the G11 is marginal and noisy and can look like a smeared oil
> > painting. If you need to get an image in poor light it will do it for
> > you. However for acceptable quality ISO 800 will do better. You are
> > still going to need reasonable light and your best quality shots will
> > be at ISO 80, 100 & 200, with a push to 400. Unless you absolutely have
> > to, I would not push it beyond ISO 800, with ISO 1600 on the outer
> > limit for a picture you might want to keep.
> > Having said all that, the G11 will produce quality images, gives you
> > RAW files, and a good control layout.
> > For what you say you want to use it for, the G11 will do the job quite
> > well. It is well built and gives you a lot for the money.
>
> BTW:  high ISO relates to performance in specific light conditions at a
> given aperture and shutter speed. So in good light at ISO 200-400, with
> a shutter speed of 1/320 to 1/500, with an appropriate aperture,  a G11
> will deal with "action" well enough.
> ...but according to your OP, you don't want it for action shooting.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate them
immensely.

Some of what I have wanted to do was to take pictures for a local
dance? I have been asked to shoot people who ask for pics and to
shoot people on the dance floor. The dance lighting is chaotic and
not good, but the company that has asked me to take the pictures
understand this and pics that are sharp and clear are a plus but the
idea is to show the action. The house parties and family parties and
get togethers the lighting is better and the action isn't a problem.
My D70 does ok at the dances, but the parties, it intimidates my
subjects too much.
From: Shannon Tucker on
On Apr 7, 1:28 am, bugbear <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
> Shannon Tucker wrote:
> > I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
> > a lot of hiking and fishing.  I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
> > heavy or as big as a DSLR .
>
> > I've been thinking about the Canon G11 and the Olympus E-PL1.  What is
> > th common thinking about these cameras?  What other camera's should I
> > be thinking about?
>
> The key question here (I think) is do you want to shoot
> wildlife, landscapes, or both?
>
> Landscape photography often utilises wide
> angle lenses, whereas for wildlife you essentially
> want the longest lens you can get/carry/afford.
>
>     BugBear

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

When I'm outdoors? I am primarily shooting scenics or what I call
context photos? If I'm shooting wildlife it's as I see it in the
moment. The long lenses aren't needed for those pics.

Shannon
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: DSLRs and P&S both dying off?