From: Shannon Tucker on
On Apr 7, 1:37 am, Peter Huebner <no....(a)this.address> wrote:
> In article <5e6b0577-8afd-4914-91b6-7c4ed68374a9
> @v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>, shannon.m.tuc...(a)gmail.com says...
>

> > I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
> > a lot of hiking and fishing.  I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
> > heavy or as big as a DSLR .
>
> Big - yes. Heavy - not. My 450d with the 'kit quality' 55-250mm lens
> feels lighter than the powershot sx20is, although it's a bit bulkier.
> It's also so much faster in operation that I do much prefer it for
> candid portraits & street photography.
>
> The higher quality lenses for the dslr are indeed much heavier.
>
> -P.

My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
microseconds.

Shannon
From: Allen on
Nervous Nick wrote:
> On Apr 6, 6:16 pm, Shannon Tucker <shannon.m.tuc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Get one that has spell check.
>
> HTH.
>
> --
> YOP...
I thought about posting the same thing. The apostrophe is a dangerous
item in untrained hands.
Allen
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-07 07:42:29 -0700, Shannon Tucker <shannon.m.tucker(a)gmail.com> said:

> On Apr 6, 10:43�pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>> On 2010-04-06 22:31:54 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
> said:

> e:

> ake
> he

>>> I have a G11.
>>> 3200 on the G11 is marginal and noisy and can look like a smeared oil
>>> painting. If you need to get an image in poor light it will do it for
>>> you. However for acceptable quality ISO 800 will do better. You are
>>> still going to need reasonable light and your best quality shots will
>>> be at ISO 80, 100 & 200, with a push to 400. Unless you absolutely have
>>> to, I would not push it beyond ISO 800, with ISO 1600 on the outer
>>> limit for a picture you might want to keep.
>>> Having said all that, the G11 will produce quality images, gives you
>>> RAW files, and a good control layout.
>>> For what you say you want to use it for, the G11 will do the job quite
>>> well. It is well built and gives you a lot for the money.
>>
>> BTW: �high ISO relates to performance in specific light conditions at a
>> given aperture and shutter speed. So in good light at ISO 200-400, with
>> a shutter speed of 1/320 to 1/500, with an appropriate aperture, �a G11
>> will deal with "action" well enough.
>> ...but according to your OP, you don't want it for action shooting.
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>
> Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate them
> immensely.
>

> Some of what I have wanted to do was to take pictures for a local
> dance? I have been asked to shoot people who ask for pics and to
> shoot people on the dance floor. The dance lighting is chaotic and
> not good, but the company that has asked me to take the pictures
> understand this and pics that are sharp and clear are a plus but the
> idea is to show the action. The house parties and family parties and
> get togethers the lighting is better and the action isn't a problem.
> My D70 does ok at the dances, but the parties, it intimidates my
> subjects too much.

If you are not going to use flash, you should still be able to get
acceptable images from the G11 at the dances. I would just remind you
that you will get better low light performance with the G11 shooting at
wider rather than trying to zoom in on your subject.
To add a little more to your thoughts, here are two other G11 reviews
which might give a different perspective. Just remember low light
performance with any small sensor camera is going to be a compromise.
< http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_G11/index.shtml >
< http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G11/G11A.HTM >

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:53:14 -0700 (PDT), Shannon Tucker
<shannon.m.tucker(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Apr 7, 1:37�am, Peter Huebner <no....(a)this.address> wrote:
>> In article <5e6b0577-8afd-4914-91b6-7c4ed68374a9
>> @v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>, shannon.m.tuc...(a)gmail.com says...
>>

>> > I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
>> > a lot of hiking and fishing. �I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
>> > heavy or as big as a DSLR .
>>
>> Big - yes. Heavy - not. My 450d with the 'kit quality' 55-250mm lens
>> feels lighter than the powershot sx20is, although it's a bit bulkier.
>> It's also so much faster in operation that I do much prefer it for
>> candid portraits & street photography.
>>
>> The higher quality lenses for the dslr are indeed much heavier.
>>
>> -P.
>
>My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
>context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
>intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
>people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
>as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
>most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
>microseconds.

The camera can only intimidate if the subjects are aware of the
camera. Where you stand and how you move around in the group plays a
large part in that. If you station yourself on the periphery of the
action and remain there until your subjects come into view, you will
be less noticed. Having the patience to wait until people are no
longer paying attention to you will make all the difference.

A common work-around to the "I'm being photographed" problem is to
ostensibly point the camera to someone other than your subject and
then swing it around at the last second to your primary subject.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-07 07:53:14 -0700, Shannon Tucker <shannon.m.tucker(a)gmail.com> said:

> On Apr 7, 1:37�am, Peter Huebner <no....(a)this.address> wrote:
>> In article <5e6b0577-8afd-4914-91b6-7c4ed68374a9
>> @v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>, shannon.m.tuc...(a)gmail.com says...
>>

>>> I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
>>> a lot of hiking and fishing. �I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
>>> heavy or as big as a DSLR .
>>
>> Big - yes. Heavy - not. My 450d with the 'kit quality' 55-250mm lens
>> feels lighter than the powershot sx20is, although it's a bit bulkier.
>> It's also so much faster in operation that I do much prefer it for
>> candid portraits & street photography.
>>
>> The higher quality lenses for the dslr are indeed much heavier.
>>
>> -P.
>
> My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
> context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
> intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
> people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
> as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
> most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
> microseconds.
>
> Shannon

....but if your friends & family become so familiarized to you with a
camera in hand, be it DSLR or P&S, and the work you produce, you will
just become part of the background noise. Sort of, "Oh! It's just
Shannon" and let you do what you do at those events.

This is one of the reasons many photographers in the situation you
describe, will use a fast long lens, such as as a 70-200mm f/2.8 to
capture more candid shots. However then you will be spending much more
on the lens than the D70 & G11 cost combined.

I would carry both cameras and use whichever is right for the moment,
and if you are looking for candid shots, your subjects shouldn't even
be aware the shot had been taken, whether you were using a DSLR or a
P&S.

--
Regards,

Savageduck