From: JimW on

What is
> th common thinking about these cameras? What other camera's should I
> be thinking about?
>
> Shannon

Pentax x90
From: newshound on

"Shannon Tucker" <shannon.m.tucker(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Apr 6, 10:43 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>> On 2010-04-06 22:31:54 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
>> said:

>> > I have a G11.
>> > 3200 on the G11 is marginal and noisy and can look like a smeared oil
>> > painting. If you need to get an image in poor light it will do it for
>> > you. However for acceptable quality ISO 800 will do better. You are
>> > still going to need reasonable light and your best quality shots will
>> > be at ISO 80, 100 & 200, with a push to 400. Unless you absolutely have
>> > to, I would not push it beyond ISO 800, with ISO 1600 on the outer
>> > limit for a picture you might want to keep.
>> > Having said all that, the G11 will produce quality images, gives you
>> > RAW files, and a good control layout.
>> > For what you say you want to use it for, the G11 will do the job quite
>> > well. It is well built and gives you a lot for the money.
>>
>> BTW: high ISO relates to performance in specific light conditions at a
>> given aperture and shutter speed. So in good light at ISO 200-400, with
>> a shutter speed of 1/320 to 1/500, with an appropriate aperture, a G11
>> will deal with "action" well enough.
>> ...but according to your OP, you don't want it for action shooting.
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>
> Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate them
> immensely.
>

> Some of what I have wanted to do was to take pictures for a local
> dance? I have been asked to shoot people who ask for pics and to
> shoot people on the dance floor. The dance lighting is chaotic and
> not good, but the company that has asked me to take the pictures
> understand this and pics that are sharp and clear are a plus but the
> idea is to show the action. The house parties and family parties and
> get togethers the lighting is better and the action isn't a problem.
> My D70 does ok at the dances, but the parties, it intimidates my
> subjects too much.

I sometimes do similar things, and have a G10 and an Ixus 850 IS. As others
have said the G series is noisy at 3200. I find myself using the Ixus as
much as the G as it is more inconspicuous as well as more pocketable, and to
be honest it can be tough to tell the results apart for "real" shots.
Obviously, the G does give you raw, if you are into that. Both have nice big
screens for checking results.

From: Peter Huebner on
In article <0824de8e-dfe0-49d6-a5f5-7eede880a115
@x12g2000yqx.googlegroups.com>, shannon.m.tucker(a)gmail.com says...
> The frustration I have with
> most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
> microseconds.

That's just it, with my p&sses (one older Oly, one new Canon) I
sometimes have shutter-lag between 1 and 2 seconds in mediocre light
conditions. Trying to capture my cat having a mud-wrestling match with
an eel with that lag .... waste of time I found out. The couple you're
trying to capture at the dance may well have danced out of the frame
before your p&s has decided that it's ready.

Anyway, you seem to have a slr already, so - no need to try and sell
coals to Newcastle. :-) By all accounts the G11 is a very nice camera
indeed.

-P.
From: bugbear on
Shannon Tucker wrote:
> On Apr 7, 1:37 am, Peter Huebner <no....(a)this.address> wrote:
>> In article <5e6b0577-8afd-4914-91b6-7c4ed68374a9
>> @v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>, shannon.m.tuc...(a)gmail.com says...
>>

>>> I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
>>> a lot of hiking and fishing. I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
>>> heavy or as big as a DSLR .
>> Big - yes. Heavy - not. My 450d with the 'kit quality' 55-250mm lens
>> feels lighter than the powershot sx20is, although it's a bit bulkier.
>> It's also so much faster in operation that I do much prefer it for
>> candid portraits & street photography.
>>
>> The higher quality lenses for the dslr are indeed much heavier.
>>
>> -P.
>
> My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
> context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
> intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
> people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
> as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
> most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
> microseconds.

I find using a camera with a flip out display, (mine's a Canon A630)
and holding the camera in an unusual position e.g. waist level
avoids the classic "I'm using a camera" pose that people
react (sometimes adversely) to.

Longer lenses are also good - 100mm (in 35mm terms)
allows you to be far enough from the subject to reduce
their awareness of you.

BugBear
From: Art Warner on
On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 19:01:24 +1200, Peter Huebner <no.one(a)this.address>
wrote:

>In article <0824de8e-dfe0-49d6-a5f5-7eede880a115
>@x12g2000yqx.googlegroups.com>, shannon.m.tucker(a)gmail.com says...
>> The frustration I have with
>> most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
>> microseconds.
>>

>That's just it, with my p&sses (one older Oly, one new Canon) I
>sometimes have shutter-lag between 1 and 2 seconds in mediocre light
>conditions. Trying to capture my cat having a mud-wrestling match with
>an eel with that lag .... waste of time I found out. The couple you're
>trying to capture at the dance may well have danced out of the frame
>before your p&s has decided that it's ready.

Thanks for showing the whole world that you are so ignorant and inept as to
not know how to use any camera properly. Even a beginner with a P&S camera
could see how lame you are at any kind of photography by your posting.

Next time, at least RTFM.

>Anyway, you seem to have a slr already, so - no need to try and sell
>coals to Newcastle. :-) By all accounts the G11 is a very nice camera
>indeed.
>
>-P.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7