From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"EN59CVH" <EN59CVH(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I suggest boot up your system in safe mode and then copy everything from
> the flash-drive to your HD in a temporary folder. Then perform a quick
> format on your flash drive before re-using it. You can then put
> everything back on this drive and you will be able to access your
> files. It looks like you pulled the flash drive from the USB port
> before doing the Safe Removal Operation.
>
> hth

Mmh. Wasn't the OP talking about a 3.5" diskette?

From: Gord Dibben on
What type of flash drive is a 3.5 inch diskette?

Gord

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 23:14:38 +0000, EN59CVH

From: Gord Dibben on
Excel creates a temporary file on the source disk when the file is opened.

If the temp file is not properly deleted when you close the file, Excel
still thinks the file is open and gives the "read-only" message.

Very common when opening from or saving directly to a floppy diskette.

Not a practice I would recommend.

Gord

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 23:01:30 +0000, EN59CVH

From: philo on
Den wrote:
> I realize this may be somewhat old school, but I have a problem with
> some data on a 3.5 diskette using WinXP. I put some personal data in a
> '.xls' file on a 3.5 diskette and update it every now and then. The
> other day when I put the disk in to enter some new data, I received the
> following error msg: "book1.xls" cannot be accessed. The file may be
> read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the
> server the document is stored on may not be responding. My options at
> this point are "RETRY" or "CANCEL".
>
> I check the disk drive with other diskettes to see if it worked with
> them, and they opened fine. I copied another *.xls file to the diskette
> to see if I could access it, and it worked fine. I had no problem
> opening the 2nd xls file on the diskette. I ran error checking on the
> disk, and it came up clean. I tried disk-copy with no luck either. Can
> anyone help me with this, or advise me where I can get help?
>
> Thank you!
> Dennis

quit wasting your time and throw it out and use another one

From: Big_Al on
Den said this on 3/5/2010 3:06 PM:
> I realize this may be somewhat old school, but I have a problem with
> some data on a 3.5 diskette using WinXP. I put some personal data in a
> '.xls' file on a 3.5 diskette and update it every now and then. The
> other day when I put the disk in to enter some new data, I received the
> following error msg: "book1.xls" cannot be accessed. The file may be
> read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the
> server the document is stored on may not be responding. My options at
> this point are "RETRY" or "CANCEL".
>
> I check the disk drive with other diskettes to see if it worked with
> them, and they opened fine. I copied another *.xls file to the diskette
> to see if I could access it, and it worked fine. I had no problem
> opening the 2nd xls file on the diskette. I ran error checking on the
> disk, and it came up clean. I tried disk-copy with no luck either. Can
> anyone help me with this, or advise me where I can get help?
>
> Thank you!
> Dennis

You can try doing a chkdsk on it. Just like a hard drive. Problem is,
the program will fix the disc but you may lose the data.