From: Unknown on
You don't understand proportions either. Playing on a Nakamichi Dragon may
be 50,000 times. Playing
on a dirt machine may be 2000 times. That could be 15 years versus 3 years.

From: Terry R. on
On 3/9/2010 9:32 AM On a whim, Gordon pounded out on the keyboard

> "Unknown"<unknown(a)unknown.kom> wrote in message
>> Quote specs not emotional gibberish. An 8 track or cassette has a definite
>> specification
>> as to life expectancy.
>
> Rubbish - of COURSE it doesn't. All magnetic media such as Audio cassettes,
> 8 track (which is just a special form of cassette), VHS cassettes, when they
> are plaid they CONTACT the playing head. When this happens a minute part of
> the surface of the tape is removed by friction on the playing head. The life
> expectancy of these magnetic TAPES is in direct proportion to how often they
> are played. Play a VHS tape three times a day every day and it won't last
> very long. Play a VHS tape once a year and it will ladst FAR longer.

8 track is not a "special form of cassette". 8 track is ONE reel, where
the tape is drawn from the inside and re-wound on the outside. That
constant rubbing from the tape being pulled from the inside made the
life expectancy very short compared to cassettes, which use a two reel
method like reel to reel tape machines.

More than friction damage from the heads, is the magnetic field that
develops when the tape is drawn across the head. That slowly
demagnetizes the tape, essentially erasing it over time.

Terry R.
From: Gordon on

"Terry R." <F1Com(a)NOSPAMpobox.com> wrote in message

> 8 track is not a "special form of cassette". 8 track is ONE reel, where
> the tape is drawn from the inside and re-wound on the outside. That
> constant rubbing from the tape being pulled from the inside made the life
> expectancy very short compared to cassettes, which use a two reel method
> like reel to reel tape machines.

Thanks for that info - never had an 8 track, although I know several people
who have!

> More than friction damage from the heads, is the magnetic field that
> develops when the tape is drawn across the head. That slowly demagnetizes
> the tape, essentially erasing it over time.

Thanks again - thinking back of course I remembered that, but it's SO long
ago since I used any sort of tape...

From: Terry R. on
On 3/9/2010 12:07 PM On a whim, Gordon pounded out on the keyboard

> "Terry R."<F1Com(a)NOSPAMpobox.com> wrote in message
>> 8 track is not a "special form of cassette". 8 track is ONE reel, where
>> the tape is drawn from the inside and re-wound on the outside. That
>> constant rubbing from the tape being pulled from the inside made the life
>> expectancy very short compared to cassettes, which use a two reel method
>> like reel to reel tape machines.
>
> Thanks for that info - never had an 8 track, although I know several people
> who have!

4 tracks were based on the same design, but quickly died when the 8
track was able to store twice the material. The 4 track was two tracks
of stereo and the 8 track was four tracks of stereo. Since the 8 tracks
were so close together, cross-talk was much more prevalent than it was
using 4 tracks. You could literally move the case up and down ever so
slightly in the player and have the music change tracks.

>> More than friction damage from the heads, is the magnetic field that
>> develops when the tape is drawn across the head. That slowly demagnetizes
>> the tape, essentially erasing it over time.
>>

> Thanks again - thinking back of course I remembered that, but it's SO long
> ago since I used any sort of tape...

You're welcome.

Terry R.
From: Terry R. on
On 3/9/2010 11:43 AM On a whim, Unknown pounded out on the keyboard

> You don't understand proportions either. Playing on a Nakamichi Dragon may
> be 50,000 times. Playing
> on a dirt machine may be 2000 times. That could be 15 years versus 3 years.
> "Gordon"<gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "choro"<choro(a)tvco.net> wrote in message
>>> Your argument is stupid, if I may say so. That depends on the quality of
>>> the tape machine the tape is played on. I would say there would be an
>>> enormous difference between the wear and tear on the tape played on a
>>> dirt cheap machine as opposed to a Nakamichi Dragon, for example. Don't
>>> you think so?
>> Probably but the length of time the tape is usable is STILL directly
>> proportional to how often it's used....

You're giving way too much credit to a machine that uses a typical tape
path to play. Regardless of the tape transport mechanism touted in the
ND, the tape damage doesn't come from forwarding and rewinding nearly as
much as it does from standard demagnetization caused from the tape head
coming in contact with the tape.

You can have a tape last just as long on a lower priced player if you
demagnetize and clean the heads/rollers frequently. Those are the two
single most killers of tape, regardless of whether it's 4/8 track,
cassette, or reel to reel.

Terry R.