From: Twayne on
In news:evkl3l6vKHA.3564(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
Unknown <unknown(a)unknown.kom> typed:
> Quote specs not emotional gibberish. An 8 track or cassette
> has a definite specification
> as to life expectancy.

As do floppy disks in the same sense as 8 traciks and cassette players.
Each manufacturer used to toot their MTBF back when people still believed it
meant something real. I don't think they even bother to produce specs in
their ads anymore since there are very few new floppy manufacturers left.

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Unknown" <unknown(a)unknown.kom> wrote in message
>>> No idea where you get your specs. I have floppies over
>>> ten years old and still working great.
>>
>> Then you a) don't use them much and b) you have been
>> EXTREMELY lucky.
>>> Magnetic media? Disks can retain their data for many
>>> years. Tapes? I have 8 tracks and cassettes
>>> over 25 years old and still working.
>>
>> See above.
>>
>> Every time you use a cassette and 8 track a little bit of
>> the surface is worn away. So you obviously hardly use them
>> at all.

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

From: Twayne on
In news:%238gO056vKHA.5036(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Gordon <gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com> typed:
> "Unknown" <unknown(a)unknown.kom> wrote in message
>> Quote specs not emotional gibberish. An 8 track or
>> cassette has a definite specification
>> as to life expectancy.
>
> Rubbish - of COURSE it doesn't. All magnetic media such as
> Audio cassettes, 8 track (which is just a special form of
> cassette), VHS cassettes, when they are plaid they CONTACT
> the playing head. When this happens a minute part of the
> surface of the tape is removed by friction on the playing
> head. The life expectancy of these magnetic TAPES is in
> direct proportion to how often they are played. Play a VHS
> tape three times a day every day and it won't last very
> long. Play a VHS tape once a year and it will ladst FAR
> longer.

They'll last very close to the same number of playbacks assuming proper care
over their lifetime.

From: John John - MVP on
Twayne wrote:
> In news:e9D2Iy5vKHA.4752(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
> John John - MVP <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> typed:
>> Floppies are known to be rather fragile and they can fail
>> for no apparent reason but Twayne is making up stories
>> again. Like you I have floppies from the DOS/Windows 95
>> era (Chips Challenge, anyone?) and they are still good. Of
>> course, knowing that they are prone to fail at any given
>> time, if the floppies contain anything of value they should
>> be backed up to a more reliable media. Bottom line is yes,
>> floppies are fragile and they can fail in 15 minutes or in
>> 15 years, there is no 1 year expiry date on them.
>
> Of course not. But if you want to keep a store of floppies working for
> the long term, those are the usual numbers that were used for the
> refrech cycles. Your ignorance is only outshone by your complete lack of
> actual experience with most things you talk about. YOu're an interesting
> clown if nothing else.

You're quite a character, Twayne. Countless people will come and tell
you that they have 10+ year old floppies that still work perfectly and
still contains intact data yet you will treat them all of ignorants who
lack experience. No need for insults from me, Twayne, the countless
folks who still have these old floppies and who are reading this will
have far better fitting descriptions for you than I could ever think of.

John
From: Bill in Co. on
John John - MVP wrote:
> Twayne wrote:
>> In news:e9D2Iy5vKHA.4752(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
>> John John - MVP <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> typed:
>>> Floppies are known to be rather fragile and they can fail
>>> for no apparent reason but Twayne is making up stories
>>> again. Like you I have floppies from the DOS/Windows 95
>>> era (Chips Challenge, anyone?) and they are still good. Of
>>> course, knowing that they are prone to fail at any given
>>> time, if the floppies contain anything of value they should
>>> be backed up to a more reliable media. Bottom line is yes,
>>> floppies are fragile and they can fail in 15 minutes or in
>>> 15 years, there is no 1 year expiry date on them.
>>
>> Of course not. But if you want to keep a store of floppies working for
>> the long term, those are the usual numbers that were used for the
>> refrech cycles. Your ignorance is only outshone by your complete lack of
>> actual experience with most things you talk about. YOu're an interesting
>> clown if nothing else.
>
> You're quite a character, Twayne. Countless people will come and tell
> you that they have 10+ year old floppies that still work perfectly and
> still contains intact data yet you will treat them all of ignorants who
> lack experience. No need for insults from me, Twayne, the countless
> folks who still have these old floppies and who are reading this will
> have far better fitting descriptions for you than I could ever think of.
>
> John

But "those people" are all sock poppets. Don't you know that by now? :-)

From: Gordon on

"John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message
> You're quite a character, Twayne. Countless people will come and tell you
> that they have 10+ year old floppies that still work perfectly and still
> contains intact data

The problem is from my point of view (and experience) is that floppies are
completely erratic as to when they DO fail. My point in starting this was
that there are far more reliable and cheaper methods available to day for
data storage. I wouldn't dream of using a floppy today and if I had data on
floppies I would transfer it to one of the far more robust storage methods.