From: Billns on
On 3/5/2010 12:06 PM, Den wrote:
> I realize this may be somewhat old school, but I have a problem with
> some data on a 3.5 diskette using WinXP. I put some personal data in a
> '.xls' file on a 3.5 diskette and update it every now and then. The
> other day when I put the disk in to enter some new data, I received the
> following error msg: "book1.xls" cannot be accessed. The file may be
> read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the
> server the document is stored on may not be responding. My options at
> this point are "RETRY" or "CANCEL".
>
> I check the disk drive with other diskettes to see if it worked with
> them, and they opened fine. I copied another *.xls file to the diskette
> to see if I could access it, and it worked fine. I had no problem
> opening the 2nd xls file on the diskette. I ran error checking on the
> disk, and it came up clean. I tried disk-copy with no luck either. Can
> anyone help me with this, or advise me where I can get help?
>
> Thank you!
> Dennis

Interesting thread, but it sure got off topic quickly.
Gord Dibben is right, though, that you shouldn't read or write directly
to floppy disks from within Excel. If you can copy the file from the
diskette to the hard drive you may be able to access it.

As to life of components, I have diskettes from 20 years ago that are
still readable. I also have diskettes of more recent vintage that are
now unreadable. YMMV. I also have a couple of CD data disks that became
unreadable after only a year or two. And I have cassette tapes from 25
years ago that are still playable in my 1979 Ampex tape deck.

My 5 1/4-inch floppies are unreadable because they won't fit in my
3.5-inch drive. I used to remove these disks from their folders to show
my beginning computer class why they are called floppies. Nowadays they
probably wouldn't have any idea what I was talking about.

Bill
From: Twayne on
In news:%23yoCmO2vKHA.404(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Gordon <gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com> typed:
> "Unknown" <unknown(a)unknown.kom> wrote in message
>> Not really. Whenever friends, relatives etc. want to give
>> others a program or similar, we do it via the floppy.
>

> Lat time I saw a PROGRAM that fitted on a floppy there were
> 24 of them......

That's the wonder and glory of the windows GUI: 800 Meg for pretty stuff and
200k of program data and it's just one program. But I do have several that
would fit on floppy: VB language.

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

From: Twayne on
In news:Oyzzca5vKHA.1692(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Unknown <unknown(a)unknown.kom> typed:
> No idea where you get your specs. I have floppies over ten
> years old and still working great.
> Magnetic media? Disks can retain their data for many years.
> Tapes? I have 8 tracks and cassettes
> over 25 years old and still working.

You're either a liar, have very expensive hi Qual floppies and tapes kept in
an environmentally controlled room and they're never accessed (in which case
you can't know they're good), or haven't looked at them in over 8 years.
Those "specs" are very easy to find on the 'net, are well known (and vary
some but not by magnitudes or anything close to what you alleged) if you
want to look for them. I'll bet a floppy by floppy complete access test
comes up corrupted on most of them.

Twayne`

From: Twayne on
In news:e9D2Iy5vKHA.4752(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
John John - MVP <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> typed:
> Floppies are known to be rather fragile and they can fail
> for no apparent reason but Twayne is making up stories
> again. Like you I have floppies from the DOS/Windows 95
> era (Chips Challenge, anyone?) and they are still good. Of
> course, knowing that they are prone to fail at any given
> time, if the floppies contain anything of value they should
> be backed up to a more reliable media. Bottom line is yes,
> floppies are fragile and they can fail in 15 minutes or in
> 15 years, there is no 1 year expiry date on them.

Of course not. But if you want to keep a store of floppies working for the
long term, those are the usual numbers that were used for the refrech
cycles. Your ignorance is only outshone by your complete lack of actual
experience with most things you talk about. YOu're an interesting clown if
nothing else.

Twayne

From: Twayne on
In news:%23aOSuI6vKHA.1692(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Gordon <gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com> typed:
> "Unknown" <unknown(a)unknown.kom> wrote in message
>> No idea where you get your specs. I have floppies over ten
>> years old and still working great.
>
> Then you a) don't use them much and b) you have been
> EXTREMELY lucky.
>

>> Magnetic media? Disks can retain their data for many
>> years. Tapes? I have 8 tracks and cassettes
>> over 25 years old and still working.
>
> See above.
>
> Every time you use a cassette and 8 track a little bit of
> the surface is worn away. So you obviously hardly use them
> at all.

Mmm, it's not actually the surface being "worn" away in properly functioning
drives as it is that: It has more to do with magnetic retentivity in the
thin oxide layer than anything else and of course care of the disks w/r to
heat, cold, stray fields near them, normal flux migration (rounding of
square waves) and the like, to put it simply.

Twayne`