From: ahall on
Christopher Muto <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> writes:

> ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:
>> Retail Win 7 discs contain both the 64 and 32 bit versions.
>> Would that be true with Dell Win 7 media too?
>>
>> (I ordered my wife a machine with Win 7 and an XP downgrade
>> installed, it comes with Win 7 media. I want to order my
>> son a machine with 64 bit Win 7, but they do not seem to
>> offer that with the OS disc. As I will leave XP on my wife's
>> machine, I thought perhaps I could give him the Win 7 disc
>> to take to college. Should that work?)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> as previous stated, with link to dell current media policy iirc, dell
> is phasing out providing media but they do have a utility to create
> backup media.

Is that an actual bootable OS disc? I created slipstreamed copies
of XP (incorporating later SPs). Just restoring the machine to factory
build is not what I want. I want to be able to do repair installs, add
or remove windows components. The stuff you can do with an OS disk,
but not with a restore disc.

> answering if the media from your wife's computer would work on a new
> one you are going to buy for your son requires more info about your
> wife's computer. if her media is dell oem then it works with dell oem
> activation codes and not retail activation codes. retail copies of
> windows 7 media require retail activation codes and not oem activation
> codes. further, dell oem windows 7 media is specifically designated
> 32 bit or 64 bit, not dual use like retail media which would also
> impact the usefulness of the media given the certificate of
> authorization activation code on the new machine.

Thanks all. So my idea will not work. It is very frustrating not being
able to get a Win 7 64 bit disc.

I am running out of time. He starts college in a month.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
From: Timothy Daniels on

<ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com> wrote:
> Christopher Muto writes:
>> ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:
>>> Retail Win 7 discs contain both the 64 and 32 bit versions.
>>> Would that be true with Dell Win 7 media too?
>>>
>>> (I ordered my wife a machine with Win 7 and an XP downgrade
>>> installed, it comes with Win 7 media. I want to order my
>>> son a machine with 64 bit Win 7, but they do not seem to
>>> offer that with the OS disc. As I will leave XP on my wife's
>>> machine, I thought perhaps I could give him the Win 7 disc
>>> to take to college. Should that work?)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> as previous stated, with link to dell current media policy iirc, dell
>> is phasing out providing media but they do have a utility to create
>> backup media.
>>

> Is that an actual bootable OS disc? I created slipstreamed copies
> of XP (incorporating later SPs). Just restoring the machine to factory
> build is not what I want. I want to be able to do repair installs, add
> or remove windows components. The stuff you can do with an OS disk,
> but not with a restore disc.
>
>> answering if the media from your wife's computer would work on a new
>> one you are going to buy for your son requires more info about your
>> wife's computer. if her media is dell oem then it works with dell oem
>> activation codes and not retail activation codes. retail copies of
>> windows 7 media require retail activation codes and not oem activation
>> codes. further, dell oem windows 7 media is specifically designated
>> 32 bit or 64 bit, not dual use like retail media which would also
>> impact the usefulness of the media given the certificate of
>> authorization activation code on the new machine.
>
> Thanks all. So my idea will not work. It is very frustrating not being
> able to get a Win 7 64 bit disc.
>
> I am running out of time. He starts college in a month.
> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

I've been following this thread casually, and I am amazed at the
distortion of priorities. Hall Junior starts college in a month, and he
*needs* a 64-bit PC *now*. For what? Editing MP3s in his
Freshman year? In his Freshman year he should be learning how
to schedule his time, how to take notes during lectures, learning
how to take care of himself, and not to depend on Daddy to do his
thinking for him. But even more amazing is the concern over not
paying for a retail Windows 7 DVD. If price is so important, wait
until he is enrolled, and then let him buy an Academic Version of
Win7 - either at the student store on campus or online with a FAX
of the enrollment form to prove his student status. When you
consider the level of college tuition nowadays and the importance
of getting an immediate start on studies, why are you quibbling about
the price of Windows 7? Get your priorities straight, man! Then,
let go and let the kid start living his own life.

*TimDaniels*

From: RnR on
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:23:40 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
<NoSpam(a)SpamMeKnot.biz> wrote:

><ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com> wrote:
>> Christopher Muto writes:

>>> as previous stated, with link to dell current media policy iirc, dell
>>> is phasing out providing media but they do have a utility to create
>>> backup media.
>>>

>> Is that an actual bootable OS disc? I created slipstreamed copies
>> of XP (incorporating later SPs). Just restoring the machine to factory
>> build is not what I want. I want to be able to do repair installs, add
>> or remove windows components. The stuff you can do with an OS disk,
>> but not with a restore disc.
>>
>>> answering if the media from your wife's computer would work on a new
>>> one you are going to buy for your son requires more info about your
>>> wife's computer. if her media is dell oem then it works with dell oem
>>> activation codes and not retail activation codes. retail copies of
>>> windows 7 media require retail activation codes and not oem activation
>>> codes. further, dell oem windows 7 media is specifically designated
>>> 32 bit or 64 bit, not dual use like retail media which would also
>>> impact the usefulness of the media given the certificate of
>>> authorization activation code on the new machine.
>>
>> Thanks all. So my idea will not work. It is very frustrating not being
>> able to get a Win 7 64 bit disc.
>>
>> I am running out of time. He starts college in a month.
>> --
>> Andrew Hall
>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
>

> I've been following this thread casually, and I am amazed at the
>distortion of priorities. Hall Junior starts college in a month, and he
>*needs* a 64-bit PC *now*. For what? Editing MP3s in his
>Freshman year? In his Freshman year he should be learning how
>to schedule his time, how to take notes during lectures, learning
>how to take care of himself, and not to depend on Daddy to do his
>thinking for him. But even more amazing is the concern over not
>paying for a retail Windows 7 DVD. If price is so important, wait
>until he is enrolled, and then let him buy an Academic Version of
>Win7 - either at the student store on campus or online with a FAX
>of the enrollment form to prove his student status. When you
>consider the level of college tuition nowadays and the importance
>of getting an immediate start on studies, why are you quibbling about
>the price of Windows 7? Get your priorities straight, man! Then,
>let go and let the kid start living his own life.
>
>*TimDaniels*

I'm well qualified on this subject (trust me) and more or less, you're
right. I might even expand a bit on what you said but no need, you
said it well enough. Sometimes it good to have someone point out the
obvious.... thanks Tim.
From: Christopher Muto on
Timothy Daniels wrote:
> <ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com> wrote:
>> Christopher Muto writes:

>>> as previous stated, with link to dell current media policy iirc, dell
>>> is phasing out providing media but they do have a utility to create
>>> backup media.
>>>
>> Is that an actual bootable OS disc? I created slipstreamed copies
>> of XP (incorporating later SPs). Just restoring the machine to factory
>> build is not what I want. I want to be able to do repair installs, add
>> or remove windows components. The stuff you can do with an OS disk,
>> but not with a restore disc.
>>
>>> answering if the media from your wife's computer would work on a new
>>> one you are going to buy for your son requires more info about your
>>> wife's computer. if her media is dell oem then it works with dell oem
>>> activation codes and not retail activation codes. retail copies of
>>> windows 7 media require retail activation codes and not oem activation
>>> codes. further, dell oem windows 7 media is specifically designated
>>> 32 bit or 64 bit, not dual use like retail media which would also
>>> impact the usefulness of the media given the certificate of
>>> authorization activation code on the new machine.
>> Thanks all. So my idea will not work. It is very frustrating not being
>> able to get a Win 7 64 bit disc.
>>
>> I am running out of time. He starts college in a month.
>> --
>> Andrew Hall
>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
>

> I've been following this thread casually, and I am amazed at the
> distortion of priorities. Hall Junior starts college in a month, and he
> *needs* a 64-bit PC *now*. For what? Editing MP3s in his
> Freshman year? In his Freshman year he should be learning how
> to schedule his time, how to take notes during lectures, learning
> how to take care of himself, and not to depend on Daddy to do his
> thinking for him. But even more amazing is the concern over not
> paying for a retail Windows 7 DVD. If price is so important, wait
> until he is enrolled, and then let him buy an Academic Version of
> Win7 - either at the student store on campus or online with a FAX
> of the enrollment form to prove his student status. When you
> consider the level of college tuition nowadays and the importance
> of getting an immediate start on studies, why are you quibbling about
> the price of Windows 7? Get your priorities straight, man! Then,
> let go and let the kid start living his own life.
>
> *TimDaniels*

i appreciate the op's sentiment of not wasting to pay for something
twice simply because microsoft has decided to sell you something that
you can not reinstall in the even of a hardware failure. if microsoft
wants to increase its already fat margins by another 50� then they
should office a reliable and effortless alternative. how about a
certain number of times that you can download an iso image of the os to
burn your own recovery dvd in the even of failure. but the current
system is like selling a product that has built in obsolescence... and
they keep their fingers crossed wasting for your bad fortune to turn
into duplicate sales for them.
as for the argument about the incredible expense of higher education
today... that sounds to me to be precisely a reason not to pay a second
time for things you already bought.
From: Timothy Daniels on
"Christopher Muto" wrote:
> as for the argument about the incredible expense of higher education today... that sounds to me to be precisely a
> reason not to pay a second time for things you already bought.

The OP's goal is purportedly to get his son a successful college
education. Why is he allowing the cost of Win7 to get in the way
of what should be more important considerations? Academic Editions
are cheap - see this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/education/license/howtobuy/academicsavings.aspx ,
or do a Google search on "Windows 7 Academic Edition". This whole
exercise is about just $80! Given that, isn't the OP more likely to be
trying to be Administrator In Absentia than showing his kid how to
solve his own problems and how to maintain a rational perspective
on them?

*TimDaniels*

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7