From: RnR on
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 22:54:07 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
<NoSpam(a)SpamMeKnot.biz> wrote:

><ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com> wrote:

>>> The OP's goal is purportedly to get his son a successful college
>>> education. Why is he allowing the cost of Win7 to get in the way
>>> of what should be more important considerations? Academic Editions
>>> are cheap - see this page:
>>
>> Why to you presume to know so much about people
>> you have never met?
>>
>> Hubris is ugly.
>
> One needn't meet you. The pertinent facts are your own statements
>The Academic Editions of Windows are full boat editions and incredibly
>cheap, but you're spending all this time attempting to apply your wife's
>installation DVD to your son's computer (a scam), yet worried that you
>won't do it before your son's matriculation, when all you have to do is spend
>$80 to accomplish your purported goal, stay legal, and get your son off to
>college with Win7 installed on his laptop. Discuss with your wife the
>difference between "Father" and "System Administrator" and which role
>is replacing the other.
>
>*TimDaniels*
>

>>> http://www.microsoft.com/education/license/howtobuy/academicsavings.aspx ,
>>> or do a Google search on "Windows 7 Academic Edition". This whole
>>> exercise is about just $80! Given that, isn't the OP more likely to be
>>> trying to be Administrator In Absentia than showing his kid how to
>>> solve his own problems and how to maintain a rational perspective
>>> on them?
>>>
>>> *TimDaniels*
>>

>> --
>> Andrew Hall
>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

To be honest, you don't really need win 7 for college studies right
now. Further, having just paid for 2 four yr college educations with
one living on/near campus, these kids are quite resourceful when they
need to be. That father just doesn't realize it since he lacks the
experience right now. He sounds like a good father but being one
myself with 2 daughters both just graduated from college very
recently, he should let his son(?) fend a little for himself. As I'm
now finding out, it's not good to provide too much as it seems to
stymie their mental growth in the "real" world (not academics). I
could give a lecture on this .... and no, I'm NOT the best father as
I'm now finding out. I did " too much " for my daughters and now
seeing the results. No, they don't do drugs or anything illegal but I
don't like their attitude often. I better stop here as I'm beginning
to lecture <g>.
From: Bob Villa on
>No, they don't do drugs or anything illegal but I
don't like their attitude often. I better stop here as I'm beginning
to lecture <g>.

I'm beginning to understand what you're talking about (18yr old girl
with grandiose ideas of college in our house)
From: Ben Myers on
On 8/6/2010 9:32 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
>> No, they don't do drugs or anything illegal but I
> don't like their attitude often. I better stop here as I'm beginning
> to lecture<g>.
>
> I'm beginning to understand what you're talking about (18yr old girl
> with grandiose ideas of college in our house)

And it has nothing to do with the gender of the children, either. It is
always a delicate tradeoff to figure out whether to do too much or too
little for children. When delivered, they do not come with an owner's
manual or an on-line help file, either, to make things easier... Ben Myers
From: RnR on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:38:09 -0400, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
wrote:

>On 8/6/2010 9:32 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
>>> No, they don't do drugs or anything illegal but I
>> don't like their attitude often. I better stop here as I'm beginning
>> to lecture<g>.
>>
>> I'm beginning to understand what you're talking about (18yr old girl
>> with grandiose ideas of college in our house)
>
>And it has nothing to do with the gender of the children, either. It is
>always a delicate tradeoff to figure out whether to do too much or too
>little for children. When delivered, they do not come with an owner's
>manual or an on-line help file, either, to make things easier... Ben Myers

Ben, you got me thinking... I wish I had consulted with Google for
parenting but I think Google was in it's infancy when my daughters
were in theirs. Now I know a lot more but I'm outa the child rearing
business.

More or less back on topic.... showing my stupidity about staying
legit in regard to win 7 .....

what would happen if I chose not to activate my win 7 disk ? Time
limit? And what's going to happen now that I did everything
proper if I upgrade my laptop hd? Will I have to go thru hoops to
reinstall the same win 7 disk? To be honest I was tempted to find a
bootleg but decided to stay legit (stupid I suppose if I have to go
thru hoops).

Just another thought.... having a legit copy of win 7 (2 disks in one
pkg), is it legit to install the win 7 x64 on one pc and the win 7
x32 on another? I'm guessing not to stay legit. Which raises
another question, what happens if I do it anyway?
From: Daddy on
On 8/6/2010 12:02 PM, RnR wrote:
> what would happen if I chose not to activate my win 7 disk ?

"what would happen if I chose not to activate my win 7 disk ?"

After 30 days it becomes pretty much unusable.

"is it legit to install the win 7 x64 on one pc and the win 7
x32 on another?"

Nope - they both have the same license key.

"...what happens if I do it anyway?"

See above.

Whether or not we agree with Microsoft's strategy or tactics, the rules
are now very clear and the enforcement is getting much better.
--
Daddy
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last