From: Michael Cecil on
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 13:56:16 +0200, "Joep" <available(a)request.nl> wrote:

>"Ato_Zee" <ato_zee(a)hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>>
>> On 9-Oct-2009, "Joep" <available(a)request.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> He's possibly afraid a defragger may corrupt a file system
>>> in inconsistent state. That's something entirely different than asking a
>>> defragger to fix corruption
>>
>> There are defraggers that will further corrupt a file system
>> that is in an inconsistent state.
>> There is however no comparison checkbox for
>> defraggers. With ticks or crosses for various types
>> of corruption/inconsistency of the file system.
>> All should stop with an explanation if they find an
>> inconsistency, many don't.
>
>Yes, so this finally answers OP's question.

O&O Defrag can be set to run a check of the filesystem before starting.
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.roadrunner.com/~macecil/
From: Rod Speed on
Joep wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> Joep wrote
>>> Ato_Zee <ato_zee(a)hotmail.com> wrote

>>> Ah, so a drive copes with fragmentation itself?

>> He didnt say that.

> It's more productive if you then try to explain to me what it is he's saying.

It makes a lot more sense for him to do that himself if he wants to.

>>> At one point a file has to be read from disk /written to disk.

>> You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist fellas ?

>>> No matter the amount of memory a fragmented file will take longer
>>> than an unfragmented file placed near the start of the disk.

>> Wrong when its a media file and the access to the
>> file is entirely dependant on the media play speed.

> Yes, and so?

So you were just plain wrong.

From: Joep on

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Joep wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>>> Joep wrote

>>> He didnt say that.
>
>> It's more productive if you then try to explain to me what it is he's
>> saying.
>
> It makes a lot more sense for him to do that himself if he wants to.

Well, why then say 'he didnt say that' in the first place.

>>> You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist fellas ?

>>> Wrong when its a media file and the access to the
>>> file is entirely dependant on the media play speed.
>
>> Yes, and so?
>
> So you were just plain wrong.

Well, if all you do is play your media files all day then maybe, assuming
your statement is correct in the first place.

From: Ato_Zee on

On 11-Oct-2009, "Joep" <available(a)request.nl> wrote:

> [...]

The drive has the MFT and its mirror, It knows wher the
requested data is, and will deliver files/data within the time
given in its spec. Drives are slow mechanical
devices as compared with the purely electronic parts of a
system.
Many assert that it is not worth defragging as it produces
no discernable improvement in system performance.
Much like registry cleaners.
From: alfo on
On 10:56 9 Oct 2009, Joep wrote:

> "Ato_Zee" <ato_zee(a)hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

>> You can only say yes or no for a specific defragger, but not
>> for defraggers as a generalisation.
>>
>>> He didn't ask for defraggers to fix things.
>>
>> If OP is not interested in fixing things the query has no
>> meaning. Concern about checking the volume implies
>> concern about data integrity.
>
> Of course it has. He's possibly afraid a defragger may corrupt
> a file system in inconsistent state. That's something entirely
> different than asking a defragger to fix corruption.

Hello Joep. I'm the OP. I want to avoid making the data in my
partitons inaccessible by defragging if the defragger did not
ensure file system integrity before it started work.

FWIW I use PerfectDisk (it's now at v.10 but I use v.7).

Out of interest, does DiskTune do all the checking which Checkdsk
does? I know your website says "it checks the volume state prior
to defragmentation" but I wasn't sure if that was equivalent to
Diskchk. Thanks.

http://www.diydatarecovery.com/DiskTune.htm