From: Joep on
"Ato_Zee" <ato_zee(a)hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

> On 11-Oct-2009, "Joep" <available(a)request.nl> wrote:
>
>> People I know turn off the PC at the end
>> of the day, and then when they turn it back on next day they're annoyed
>> by
>> the huge amount of time it takes to start up Windows.
>
> That is not due to fragmentation, it is due to the number of processes
> and services to be started.

No, because if I optimize this file system it starts quicker. So I load the
same amount of services, change one parameter namely the location of the
files on the disk, and it loads faster.

> By your argument a heavily used machine would be so fragmented
> and slowed down by it to be unuseable by lunchtime.
> You are trying to convince everyone to defrag several times a day.

No I am not. Biggest gain is from optimization (file placement) and I do
that every few months.

> Fragmentation wasn't an issue in the days of CP/M and isn't
> today.

It still is an issue

> You don't have to defrag TB drives every few hours.

I agree.

From: alfo on
On 13:58 11 Oct 2009, Joep wrote:

> "alfo" <alfo(a)invalid.com> schreef in bericht

>>> Of course it has. He's possibly afraid a defragger may
>>> corrupt a file system in inconsistent state. That's something
>>> entirely different than asking a defragger to fix corruption.
>>>

>> Hello Joep. I'm the OP. I want to avoid making the data in my
>> partitons inaccessible by defragging if the defragger did not
>> ensure file system integrity before it started work.
>>

> That was that I figured.
>
>> FWIW I use PerfectDisk (it's now at v.10 but I use v.7).
>>
>> Out of interest, does DiskTune do all the checking which
>> Checkdsk does?
>
> Nope. Orginally I did, check if dirty bit was set (using
> chkdsk), but I figured that it was wiser to have chkdsk do the
> repair instead of suggesting that it was DiskTune doing the
> fixing of the file system. Currently I only check the dirty bit
> (I think thats what the Vista defragger does as well). However,
> defragging using the defrag API is harmless even if file system
> is dirty.

Hello Joep. I should say I'm sorry for being ambiguous for writing
"Checkdsk and "Diskchk" when I meant "Dskchk".

I have 2 questions.

(1) Is the XP dirty bit set by events like a Dskchk and when the
system encounters a problem in accessing data? If so then it must
mean the dirty bit is not set if the system is unaware of a problem.

(2) By a "dirty" file system do you mean (a) one in which the dirty
bit has been set or do you mean (b) one in which the file system is
corrupt and the dirty bit may or may not have been set? IYSWIM.

I'm trying to find my way forward to understand how using the defrag
APIs can be harmless even if the file system is compromised.

From: Rod Speed on
Joep wrote
> Ato_Zee <ato_zee(a)hotmail.com> wrote
>> Joep <available(a)request.nl> wrote

>>> People I know turn off the PC at the end of the day, and then when they turn it back on next day they're annoyed by
>>> the huge amount of time it takes to start up Windows.

>> That is not due to fragmentation, it is due to the number of processes and services to be started.

> No, because if I optimize this file system it starts quicker.

Easy to claim. You cant actually substantiate that claim.

From: Joep on
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Joep wrote
>> Ato_Zee <ato_zee(a)hotmail.com> wrote
>>> Joep <available(a)request.nl> wrote

>>> That is not due to fragmentation, it is due to the number of processes
>>> and services to be started.
>
>> No, because if I optimize this file system it starts quicker.
>
> Easy to claim. You cant actually substantiate that claim.
>
>> So I load the same amount of services, change one parameter namely the
>> location of the files on the disk, and it loads faster.
>
> Easy to claim. You cant actually substantiate that claim.
>
>>> By your argument a heavily used machine would be so fragmented
>>> and slowed down by it to be unuseable by lunchtime.
>
>>> You are trying to convince everyone to defrag several times a day.
>
>> No I am not. Biggest gain is from optimization (file placement) and I
>> do that every few months.
>
>>> Fragmentation wasn't an issue in the days of CP/M and isn't today.
>
>> It still is an issue
>
> Easy to claim. You cant actually substantiate that claim.

No actually it isn't, just try it for yourself.

From: Ato_Zee on

On 12-Oct-2009, "Joep" <available(a)request.nl> wrote:

> >> It still is an issue
> >
> > Easy to claim. You cant actually substantiate that claim.
>
> No actually it isn't, just try it for yourself.

I have, defragging makes no discernable difference. It's
juat that a lot of people are making a lot of money out
of defragging utilities, and pretending to be experts to
make money as computer consultants and repairers.
Hospitals, universities, most businesses, don't
routinely defrag, and their computers run perfectly
well without it. Manual front office operations continuously
process orders, holiday bookings, customer queries and
help desk operations, they aren't defragging all the time
their systems run perfectly well without it.
If you want to permanently boost performance then
go through system services one by one, many
that start automatically aren't really needed and should
be stopped, or set to start "on use". Then go through
apps that start on boot, followed by reducing the startup
delay timers, like the one that waits to see if you want
to start in safe mode.
You are a Snake Oil peddler with your exagerated claims
of a dramatic performance boost.
Even LanParty and online gamers continuously
shifting screens of graphics and large volumes of
data don't keep defragging all the time.