From: Rod Speed on
Joep wrote:
> "Ato_Zee" <ato_zee(a)hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

>> The drive has the MFT and its mirror, It knows wher the
>> requested data is, and will deliver files/data within the time
>> given in its spec.
>
> Yes, it is bloody obvious it knows where the data is, that's the
> whole idea isn't it? FYI, the MFT mirror isn't used for this and the
> mirror isn't what it suggests it is (a complete mirror). What spec?
> Even if 'it' knows where the data is, it still has to read it from
> the disk.

>> Drives are slow mechanical devices as compared with the purely electronic parts of a system.

> Yes.

>> Many assert that it is not worth defragging as it produces
>> no discernable improvement in system performance.

> Well, they're wrong.

Nope, not with most normal desktop PC use.

> One could argue that the improvement ain't that big of a deal, that's open for discussion.

Its also open for discussion just how much serial access to
large files there is on most desktop PCs that isnt media files
with which the speed of access is entirely determined by the
media speed, so fragments are completely invisible speed wise.

>> Much like registry cleaners.

> Utterly different beasts.

But just as pointless system performance wise with most desktop systems.

From: Joep on
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Joep wrote:
>> "Ato_Zee" <ato_zee(a)hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

>>> The drive has the MFT and its mirror, It knows wher the
>>> requested data is, and will deliver files/data within the time
>>> given in its spec.
>>
>> Yes, it is bloody obvious it knows where the data is, that's the
>> whole idea isn't it? FYI, the MFT mirror isn't used for this and the
>> mirror isn't what it suggests it is (a complete mirror). What spec?
>> Even if 'it' knows where the data is, it still has to read it from
>> the disk.
>
>>> Drives are slow mechanical devices as compared with the purely
>>> electronic parts of a system.
>
>> Yes.
>
>>> Many assert that it is not worth defragging as it produces
>>> no discernable improvement in system performance.
>
>> Well, they're wrong.
>
> Nope, not with most normal desktop PC use.

Then define normal desktop PC use. People I know turn off the PC at the end
of the day, and then when they turn it back on next day they're annoyed by
the huge amount of time it takes to start up Windows. Remedy: optimize the
file system, it has a huge impact. Those pcs are typically used for all
kinds of stuff (databases not being one of them), browsing, email, text
processing etc.. Programs are closed, opened again etc.. All kinds of stuff
that can be improved by defragmentation and disk optimization. often, when
they ask for my help cause the thing is so slow, it's the only thing I do,
run disk optimization, and they notice the difference, even i something as
simple as listing a large folder in explorer. I suppose that there will be
differences between an up to date, fast modern machine and one that has been
running for a few years. And if you reboot the thing only once a week then
boot optimization won't be that big of a deal.

>> One could argue that the improvement ain't that big of a deal, that's
>> open for discussion.
>
> Its also open for discussion just how much serial access to
> large files there is on most desktop PCs that isnt media files
> with which the speed of access is entirely determined by the
> media speed, so fragments are completely invisible speed wise.
>
>>> Much like registry cleaners.
>
>> Utterly different beasts.
>
> But just as pointless system performance wise with most desktop systems.

Well, I am afraid you are wrong (predicted answer: "fraid not"), but I know
you will never admit that.

From: Joep on
> Joep wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>>> Joep wrote

>>> It makes a lot more sense for him to do that himself if he wants to.
>
>> Well, why then say 'he didnt say that' in the first place.
>
> Because he didnt say that.

he did

>>> So you were just plain wrong.
>
>> Well, if all you do is play your media files all day then maybe,
>> assuming your statement is correct in the first place.
>
> Corse its correct.
>
> And there are plenty of other examples where fragmention
> has no effect on real world file use too, most obviously
> with non serial access to files like with databases etc.

And there are also real world examples where file placement and
fragmentation does have affect.

> In fact there arent very many situations where the speed
> of serial access to large files happens much anymore.
>
> The most common situation now remaining is file copying
> and it makes a lot more sense to not copy large files around
> instead. Put them where they need to be in the first place.

Aha, you quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist fellas ?

From: Ato_Zee on

On 11-Oct-2009, "Joep" <available(a)request.nl> wrote:

> People I know turn off the PC at the end
> of the day, and then when they turn it back on next day they're annoyed by
> the huge amount of time it takes to start up Windows.

That is not due to fragmentation, it is due to the number of processes
and services to be started.
By your argument a heavily used machine would be so fragmented
and slowed down by it to be unuseable by lunchtime.
You are trying to convince everyone to defrag several times a day.
Fragmentation wasn't an issue in the days of CP/M and isn't
today. You don't have to defrag TB drives every few hours.
From: Rod Speed on
Joep wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> Joep wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> Well, why then say 'he didnt say that' in the first place.

>> Because he didnt say that.

> he did

He didnt.

>>> Well, if all you do is play your media files all day then maybe,
>>> assuming your statement is correct in the first place.

>> Corse its correct.

>> And there are plenty of other examples where fragmention
>> has no effect on real world file use too, most obviously
>> with non serial access to files like with databases etc.

> And there are also real world examples where file placement and fragmentation does have affect.

Not with modern Win OSs that do file placement themselves.

>> In fact there arent very many situations where the speed
>> of serial access to large files happens much anymore.

>> The most common situation now remaining is file copying
>> and it makes a lot more sense to not copy large files around
>> instead. Put them where they need to be in the first place.

> Aha, you quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist fellas ?

Cant even manage its own lines. Or anything else either.