From: RichA on
First off, Dpreview gets shafted by Sony, who release the NEX cameras
to other sites to review. Then, Dpreview gets hold of the camera,
finds out the 16mm f2.8 lens is a DOG (I presume) and tries to hide
the fact from their readers by only using sample shots taken at narrow
apertures! Then Sony, after other sites "outed" the lens as being a
turkey, issues a statement that the lenses are all pre-production.
Dpreview dutifully publishes it. I'm surprised there aren't little
cardboard cards with pictures of Phil Askey littering phone booths in
Britain...
From: Val Hallah on
On May 20, 3:23 am, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> First off, Dpreview gets shafted by Sony, who release the NEX cameras
> to other sites to review.  Then, Dpreview gets hold of the camera,
> finds out the 16mm f2.8 lens is a DOG (I presume) and tries to hide
> the fact from their readers by only using sample shots taken at narrow
> apertures!  Then Sony, after other sites "outed" the lens as being a
> turkey, issues a statement that the lenses are all pre-production.
> Dpreview dutifully publishes it.  I'm surprised there aren't little
> cardboard cards with pictures of Phil Askey littering phone booths in
> Britain...

thats why you need an Olympus sp800uz

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40732837(a)N07/
From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> First off, Dpreview gets shafted by Sony, who release the NEX cameras
> to other sites to review. Then, Dpreview gets hold of the camera,
> finds out the 16mm f2.8 lens is a DOG (I presume) and tries to hide
> the fact from their readers by only using sample shots taken at narrow
> apertures! Then Sony, after other sites "outed" the lens as being a
> turkey, issues a statement that the lenses are all pre-production.
> Dpreview dutifully publishes it. I'm surprised there aren't little
> cardboard cards with pictures of Phil Askey littering phone booths in
> Britain...

If you don't like it, stop hanging around with the whores and find another
site to read. If you want to impugn Phil's integrity, why not take it up
with him directly?

From: Bruce on
On Wed, 19 May 2010 23:06:02 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
<michaelnewport(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>On May 20, 3:23�am, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> First off, Dpreview gets shafted by Sony, who release the NEX cameras
>> to other sites to review. �Then, Dpreview gets hold of the camera,
>> finds out the 16mm f2.8 lens is a DOG (I presume) and tries to hide
>> the fact from their readers by only using sample shots taken at narrow
>> apertures! �Then Sony, after other sites "outed" the lens as being a
>> turkey, issues a statement that the lenses are all pre-production.
>> Dpreview dutifully publishes it. �I'm surprised there aren't little
>> cardboard cards with pictures of Phil Askey littering phone booths in
>> Britain...
>
>thats why you need an Olympus sp800uz
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/40732837(a)N07/

No-one *needs* an Olympus sp800uz, as your images prove. They are
nice snapshots, with some quite competent composition, but what you
need is a camera that gives you some real creative control.

Specifically, you need a camera that allows you to differentiate the
subject from the background by defocusing the background leaving the
subject in sharp focus. Unfortunately, using the wrong camera has
spoiled what would have been much better images if shot with the right
camera.

What you need is a camera with a much larger sensor. Four Thirds (or
Micro Four Thirds) should be the absolute minimum size of sensor for
creative work. You may want to consider a camera with a slightly
larger APS-C size sensor, such as the new Sony NEX series or most
prosumer DSLRs, or even a full frame DSLR.

The more limited depth of field that you get with a larger sensor will
allow you to concentrate on the subject and blur the background,
giving the subject much greater prominence.

The images that would have benefitted include P5160001, 02, 03, 09,
15, 16 and 22 among others.

You have a good eye for subjects and composition. It's a pity to
waste your talents by using a camera that limits your creativity.

From: John Navas on
On Thu, 20 May 2010 15:52:19 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote
in <99iav557u59kjnd6r8vllcfs6j2e061u69(a)4ax.com>:

>On Wed, 19 May 2010 23:06:02 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
><michaelnewport(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>>thats why you need an Olympus sp800uz
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/40732837(a)N07/
>
>No-one *needs* an Olympus sp800uz, as your images prove. They are
>nice snapshots, with some quite competent composition, but what you
>need is a camera that gives you some real creative control.
>
>Specifically, you need a camera that allows you to differentiate the
>subject from the background by defocusing the background leaving the
>subject in sharp focus. Unfortunately, using the wrong camera has
>spoiled what would have been much better images if shot with the right
>camera.
>
>What you need is a camera with a much larger sensor. Four Thirds (or
>Micro Four Thirds) should be the absolute minimum size of sensor for
>creative work. You may want to consider a camera with a slightly
>larger APS-C size sensor, such as the new Sony NEX series or most
>prosumer DSLRs, or even a full frame DSLR.
>
>The more limited depth of field that you get with a larger sensor will
>allow you to concentrate on the subject and blur the background,
>giving the subject much greater prominence.
>
>The images that would have benefitted include P5160001, 02, 03, 09,
>15, 16 and 22 among others.
>
>You have a good eye for subjects and composition. It's a pity to
>waste your talents by using a camera that limits your creativity.

Nonsense. You're just trying to justify your own insecurity by trying
to put down the work and the tools of others.

Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon
owner. ~Author Unknown

The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches
behind it. ~Ansel Adams

A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into. ~Ansel Adams

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good
photographs. ~Ansel Adams

A good photograph is knowing where to stand. ~Ansel Adams

Every time someone tells me how sharp my photos are, I assume that it
isn't a very interesting photograph. If it were, they would have more to
say. ~Author Unknown

Actually, I'm not all that interested in the subject of photography.
Once the picture is in the box, I'm not all that interested in what
happens next. Hunters, after all, aren't cooks. ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

The photograph itself doesn't interest me. I want only to capture a
minute part of reality. ~Henri Cartier Bresson

A Ming vase can be well-designed and well-made and is beautiful for that
reason alone. I don't think this can be true for photography. Unless
there is something a little incomplete and a little strange, it will
simply look like a copy of something pretty. We won't take an interest
in it. ~John Loengard, "Pictures Under Discussion"

Your Camera Doesn't Matter, by Ken Rockwell
<http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm>