From: Val Hallah on
On May 21, 12:13 am, "Peter" <peter...(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
> "John Navas" <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

> > On Thu, 20 May 2010 17:35:52 +0100, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote
> > in <c3pav51a5ejrj9k5fqdqksbv25sutmo...(a)4ax.com>:

> >>No, it's a cheap camera with a very long lens that gives very poor
> >>results for anyone with any creativity.
>
> >>You are far more talented as a photographer than you are at choosing
> >>equipment.
>
> > "A bad workman always blames his tools." [proverb]
>
> > It's a common misconception that a great tool can make you a great
> > workman.  It can't.  What matters is the workman, not the tool.
> > Great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.
>
> Mostly true. Yesterday I was watching egrets performing a mating dance. They
> were over 200 yds away and I could not capture any detail. For that shot I
> would have needed at least a 1200 lens, but I only had my 200 with a 1.7
> extender. I still enjoyed the moment and the quantity of food on my table
> will remain the same.
>
> --
> Peter

the Olympus can do 840 and you can also buy a 1.7 extender for it
From: Grimly Curmudgeon on
drugs began to take hold. I remember John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> saying something like:

<snip drivel>

>Your Camera Doesn't Matter, by Ken Rockwell
><http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm>

Ha, Rockwell.
From: Grimly Curmudgeon on
drugs began to take hold. I remember John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> saying something like:

>Again, great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.

Up to a point.
A great -once in a lifetime- pic can be taken on a cheapy pos if it's
the only one to hand during an unrepeatable event.
Otoh, carrying something more capable around will greatly increase the
chances of getting something worthwhile in the majority of situations.
From: Val Hallah on
On May 21, 7:48 pm, Grimly Curmudgeon <grimly4REM...(a)REMOVEgmail.com>
wrote:
> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
> drugs began to take hold. I remember John Navas
> <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> saying something like:
>
> >Again, great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.
>
> Up to a point.
> A great -once in a lifetime- pic can be taken on a cheapy pos if it's
> the only one to hand during an unrepeatable event.
> Otoh, carrying something more capable around will greatly increase the
> chances of getting something worthwhile in the majority of situations.

.....yeah, just wait til I change the lens....
From: Grimly Curmudgeon on
drugs began to take hold. I remember Val Hallah
<michaelnewport(a)yahoo.com> saying something like:

>> >Again, great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.
>>
>> Up to a point.
>> A great -once in a lifetime- pic can be taken on a cheapy pos if it's
>> the only one to hand during an unrepeatable event.
>> Otoh, carrying something more capable around will greatly increase the
>> chances of getting something worthwhile in the majority of situations.
>
>....yeah, just wait til I change the lens....

That's why you ALWAYS carry a pocket p&s - which these days tends to be
a cellphone camera. Back in the day it was just a cheapy 110, or an Oly
X-1, or the more well-heeled might have a Minox or Rollei as pocket
cams.