From: Bruce on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 11:14:29 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
<michaelnewport(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On May 21, 7:48�pm, Grimly Curmudgeon <grimly4REM...(a)REMOVEgmail.com>
>wrote:
>> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>> drugs began to take hold. I remember John Navas
>> <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> saying something like:
>>
>> >Again, great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.
>>
>> Up to a point.
>> A great -once in a lifetime- pic can be taken on a cheapy pos if it's
>> the only one to hand during an unrepeatable event.
>> Otoh, carrying something more capable around will greatly increase the
>> chances of getting something worthwhile in the majority of situations.
>
>....yeah, just wait til I change the lens....

It doesn't matter how many times you mention your precious camera, it
will never give you any creative control over depth of field. Your
posted images amply demonstrate that.

From: Dudley Hanks on

"Grimly Curmudgeon" <grimly4REMOVE(a)REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in message
> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
> drugs began to take hold. I remember Val Hallah
> <michaelnewport(a)yahoo.com> saying something like:

>>> Up to a point.
>>> A great -once in a lifetime- pic can be taken on a cheapy pos if it's
>>> the only one to hand during an unrepeatable event.
>>> Otoh, carrying something more capable around will greatly increase the
>>> chances of getting something worthwhile in the majority of situations.
>>
>>....yeah, just wait til I change the lens....
>
> That's why you ALWAYS carry a pocket p&s - which these days tends to be
> a cellphone camera. Back in the day it was just a cheapy 110, or an Oly
> X-1, or the more well-heeled might have a Minox or Rollei as pocket
> cams.

Then, there were the really dedicated pros who wandered around with multiple
35mm body / lens combos hanging around their necks ...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Bruce on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 20:23:44 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
<grimly4REMOVE(a)REMOVEgmail.com> wrote:

>That's why you ALWAYS carry a pocket p&s - which these days tends to be
>a cellphone camera. Back in the day it was just a cheapy 110, or an Oly
>X-1, or the more well-heeled might have a Minox or Rollei as pocket
>cams.

I used to carry a Contax T3 loaded with ISO 400 film. I haven't yet
found a digital point and shoot compact camera that gives me
comparable quality in such a compact package.

My Panasonic Lumix GF1 is probably the nearest yet, but it is still
too big and heavy, and the 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens is not remotely as
good as the T3's superb 35mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss optic.

From: R Davis on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 18:48:50 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
<grimly4REMOVE(a)REMOVEgmail.com> wrote:

>We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>drugs began to take hold. I remember John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> saying something like:
>
>>Again, great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.
>
>Up to a point.
>A great -once in a lifetime- pic can be taken on a cheapy pos if it's
>the only one to hand during an unrepeatable event.
>Otoh, carrying something more capable around will greatly increase the
>chances of getting something worthwhile in the majority of situations.

I guess that's why we see all these blurry shots from front and back
focusing problems, shots with too shallow DOF so the main subject is
completely destroyed, poor exposure, poor composition, improper
white-balances, tilted horizons, etc., on ad-infinauseum, being posted by
all these people with their pride and joy DSLRs. Yes, their cameras sure do
make them better photographers!

From: Dudley Hanks on

> On 2010-05-21 16:14:01 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
> said:
>
>> On 2010-05-21 12:45:45 -0700, "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca>
>> said:
>>

>>> "Grimly Curmudgeon" <grimly4REMOVE(a)REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Then, there were the really dedicated pros who wandered around with
>>> multiple
>>> 35mm body / lens combos hanging around their necks ...
>>>
>>> Take Care,
>>> Dudley
>>
>> I remember seeing a shot of Larry Burrows with Nikon F2 in hand, two more
>> Nikon F's around his neck, with two Leica M4's, not a zoom lens in sight.
>> Here he is setting up his Life Magazine Yankee Pappa shoot. Those were
>> all F's, much too early for the F2.
>> < http://imagecache6.allposters.com/LRG/27/2761/BHETD00Z.jpg >
>
> With a little more research I have found that Burrows usually also had
> three Nikkormat bodies handy. So he ran around in Vietnam with six Nikon
> SLR's and two M4's, and various lenses.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Those were the days ...

Not that hardcore pro's don't still use multiple cams, but a good fast zoom
can really cut down on the neck strain ...

Take Care,
Dudley