From: John McWilliams on
John Navas wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 18:48:50 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
> <grimly4REMOVE(a)REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in
> <hphdv599n37km0junjthk5sv8rj871eeul(a)4ax.com>:
>
>> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>> drugs began to take hold. I remember John Navas
>> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> saying something like:
>>
>>> Again, great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.
>> Up to a point.
>> A great -once in a lifetime- pic can be taken on a cheapy pos if it's
>> the only one to hand during an unrepeatable event.
>> Otoh, carrying something more capable around will greatly increase the
>> chances of getting something worthwhile in the majority of situations.
>
> That argument, carried to its logical conclusion, would have you lugging
> around a huge amount of equipment,

Not the logical conclusion; that's an extreme one.

<< Snipped bits out >>

> What actually increases the chances of getting something worthwhile is
> having the most appropriate tool for the situation, which might well be
> a compact digital camera.

But of course. And it might well be a high quality DSLR with a fabulous
lens. Or an iPhone. Or with a tripod and a pano head. Or tilt-shift
lens, etc.

--
john mcwilliams
From: John Navas on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 17:58:29 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
wrote in <htf7bo$qg3$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>:

>John Navas wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 May 2010 18:48:50 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

>>> A great -once in a lifetime- pic can be taken on a cheapy pos if it's
>>> the only one to hand during an unrepeatable event.
>>> Otoh, carrying something more capable around will greatly increase the
>>> chances of getting something worthwhile in the majority of situations.
>>
>> That argument, carried to its logical conclusion, would have you lugging
>> around a huge amount of equipment,
>
>Not the logical conclusion; that's an extreme one.

It's the logical conclusion because each and every bit of kit adds
additional capability, ad infinitum, and because there's no agreement on
how much is enough. No much how much kit I'm carrying, you might still
argue my kit is capable enough. Thus it comes down to personal style
and taste, the point I was trying to make. How much is enough can be
"just" a compact digital super-zoom to one person, and a heavy gadget
bag to another person, and a really heavy gadget back to yet another
person. "Different strokes for different folks."

Photography is about photographs, not equipment. You might as well
criticize Jackson Pollock for not using proper brushes.
--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John McWilliams on
John Navas wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010 17:58:29 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
> wrote in <htf7bo$qg3$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>:
>
>> John Navas wrote:
>>> On Fri, 21 May 2010 18:48:50 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

>>> That argument, carried to its logical conclusion, would have you lugging
>>> around a huge amount of equipment,
>> Not the logical conclusion; that's an extreme one.
>
> It's the logical conclusion because each and every bit of kit adds
> additional capability, ad infinitum, and because there's no agreement on
> how much is enough. No much how much kit I'm carrying, you might still
> argue my kit is capable enough. Thus it comes down to personal style
> and taste, the point I was trying to make. How much is enough can be
> "just" a compact digital super-zoom to one person, and a heavy gadget
> bag to another person, and a really heavy gadget back to yet another
> person. "Different strokes for different folks."
>
> Photography is about photographs, not equipment. You might as well
> criticize Jackson Pollock for not using proper brushes.

John, you carry arguments /in extremis/, sometimes /ad naseum/.
Your conclusion above is an example of the former; please don't make it
also the latter.

--
John McWilliams
From: John Navas on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 21:01:18 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
wrote in <htfi2f$6gn$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>:

>John Navas wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 May 2010 17:58:29 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
>> wrote in <htf7bo$qg3$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>:

>>> Not the logical conclusion; that's an extreme one.
>>
>> It's the logical conclusion because each and every bit of kit adds
>> additional capability, ad infinitum, and because there's no agreement on
>> how much is enough. No much how much kit I'm carrying, you might still
>> argue my kit is capable enough. Thus it comes down to personal style
>> and taste, the point I was trying to make. How much is enough can be
>> "just" a compact digital super-zoom to one person, and a heavy gadget
>> bag to another person, and a really heavy gadget back to yet another
>> person. "Different strokes for different folks."
>>
>> Photography is about photographs, not equipment. You might as well
>> criticize Jackson Pollock for not using proper brushes.
>
>John, you carry arguments /in extremis/, sometimes /ad naseum/.
>Your conclusion above is an example of the former; please don't make it
>also the latter.

You presume to lecture me when you've jumped in to throw gasoline on the
fire? ;)

From: John McWilliams on
John Navas wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010 21:01:18 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
> wrote in <htfi2f$6gn$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>:
>
>> John Navas wrote:

>>> It's the logical conclusion because each and every bit of kit adds
>>> additional capability, ad infinitum, and because there's no agreement on
>>> how much is enough. No much how much kit I'm carrying, you might still
>>> argue my kit is capable enough. Thus it comes down to personal style
>>> and taste, the point I was trying to make. How much is enough can be
>>> "just" a compact digital super-zoom to one person, and a heavy gadget
>>> bag to another person, and a really heavy gadget back to yet another
>>> person. "Different strokes for different folks."
>>>
>>> Photography is about photographs, not equipment. You might as well
>>> criticize Jackson Pollock for not using proper brushes.
>> John, you carry arguments /in extremis/, sometimes /ad naseum/.
>> Your conclusion above is an example of the former; please don't make it
>> also the latter.
>
> You presume to lecture me when you've jumped in to throw gasoline on the
> fire? ;)

No.