From: Bruce on
On 20 May 2010 17:16:21 GMT, Stuffed Crust <pizza(a)spam.shaftnet.org>
wrote:

>In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> "A bad workman always blames his tools." [proverb]
>>
>> It's a common misconception that a great tool can make you a great
>> workman. It can't. What matters is the workman, not the tool.
>> Great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.
>
>Yeah, you can use a screwdriver as a chisel, sometimes wih decent-ish
>results, but that dosn't change the fact that with a real chisel you'll
>get better results considerably more easily -- and it'll also let you do
>things that simply weren't possible with a screwdriver. Assuming you
>know what you're doing.

If there is one thing in life of which we can all be certain, it is
that John Navas has not the faintest idea what he is talking about.

Navas was one of the first entries in my kill file. Evidence suggests
that is where he should stay. ;-)

From: Stuffed Crust on
In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> Again, great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.

In a general sense, you're absolutely correct.

But specific types of photographs can't be done with pretty much any
camera; they need more specific (or specialized) gear.

- Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^
From: J. Clarke on
On 5/20/2010 1:16 PM, Stuffed Crust wrote:
> In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems John Navas<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> "A bad workman always blames his tools." [proverb]
>>
>> It's a common misconception that a great tool can make you a great
>> workman. It can't. What matters is the workman, not the tool.
>> Great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.
>
> Yeah, you can use a screwdriver as a chisel, sometimes wih decent-ish
> results, but that dosn't change the fact that with a real chisel you'll
> get better results considerably more easily -- and it'll also let you do
> things that simply weren't possible with a screwdriver. Assuming you
> know what you're doing.

Of course if you're a real workman you know how to grind and shape that
screwdriver into a chisel--might not stay sharp as long as one that's
purpose made but other than that one piece of sharp steel pretty much
works like another.
From: Peter on
"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 May 2010 17:35:52 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote
> in <c3pav51a5ejrj9k5fqdqksbv25sutmolo4(a)4ax.com>:
>
>>On Thu, 20 May 2010 09:01:52 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
>><michaelnewport(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>...still for GBP 270 its an excellent camera with a very long lens....
>>
>>No, it's a cheap camera with a very long lens that gives very poor
>>results for anyone with any creativity.
>>
>>You are far more talented as a photographer than you are at choosing
>>equipment.
>
> "A bad workman always blames his tools." [proverb]
>
> It's a common misconception that a great tool can make you a great
> workman. It can't. What matters is the workman, not the tool.
> Great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.

Mostly true. Yesterday I was watching egrets performing a mating dance. They
were over 200 yds away and I could not capture any detail. For that shot I
would have needed at least a 1200 lens, but I only had my 200 with a 1.7
extender. I still enjoyed the moment and the quantity of food on my table
will remain the same.

--
Peter

From: Floyd L. Davidson on
"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:
>On 5/20/2010 1:16 PM, Stuffed Crust wrote:
>> In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems John Navas<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>> "A bad workman always blames his tools." [proverb]
>>>
>>> It's a common misconception that a great tool can make you a great
>>> workman. It can't. What matters is the workman, not the tool.
>>> Great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.
>>
>> Yeah, you can use a screwdriver as a chisel, sometimes wih decent-ish
>> results, but that dosn't change the fact that with a real chisel you'll
>> get better results considerably more easily -- and it'll also let you do
>> things that simply weren't possible with a screwdriver. Assuming you
>> know what you're doing.
>
>Of course if you're a real workman you know how to grind and shape that
>screwdriver into a chisel--might not stay sharp as long as one that's
>purpose made but other than that one piece of sharp steel pretty much
>works like another.

That doesn't describe a "real workman" at all. It
describes a person who knows little about tools.

And you clearly don't know much about either tools or
metallurgy

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com