From: DanP on
On 21 May, 19:14, Val Hallah <michaelnewp...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 21, 7:48 pm, Grimly Curmudgeon <grimly4REM...(a)REMOVEgmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
> > drugs began to take hold. I remember John Navas
> > <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> saying something like:
>
> > >Again, great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.
>
> > Up to a point.
> > A great -once in a lifetime- pic can be taken on a cheapy pos if it's
> > the only one to hand during an unrepeatable event.
> > Otoh, carrying something more capable around will greatly increase the
> > chances of getting something worthwhile in the majority of situations.
>
> ....yeah, just wait til I change the lens....

If you could change lens you could take a picture like this at f/1.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danpetre/4295709063/

DanP
From: DanP on
On 22 May, 06:52, Outing Trolls is FUN! <o...(a)trollouters.org> wrote:

> Damn. My P&S cameras must be broken. How do I get the background in these
> P&S camera photos to be like you describe? From all your vast experience
> with all manner of *real* cameras, of course.
>
> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3414/4628674084_ea2a8df9ae_o.jpg
>
> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4628674082_b72f520936_o.jpg

Easy, have the camera really close to your subject.
Try that with some human subjects and see the horrible results you
will get.

DanP
From: Val Hallah on
On May 22, 9:00 pm, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2010 08:55:34 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
>

> <michaelnewp...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On May 20, 6:35 pm, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> No, it's a cheap camera with a very long lens that gives very poor
> >> results for anyone with any creativity.
>
> >> You are far more talented as a photographer than you are at choosing
> >> equipment.
>
> >cheap is good
>
> Cheap is cheap.  Based on what I saw, your camera isn't remotely good
> enough for your skills.
>
> Perhaps I was wrong, and you are as cheap as your camera?  ;-)

you bet ;-)
From: John Navas on
On 20 May 2010 19:57:21 GMT, Stuffed Crust <pizza(a)spam.shaftnet.org>
wrote in <4bf59421$0$22146$9a6e19ea(a)unlimited.newshosting.com>:

>In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> Again, great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.
>
>In a general sense, you're absolutely correct.
>
>But specific types of photographs can't be done with pretty much any
>camera; they need more specific (or specialized) gear.

Of course -- no camera of any type (compact digital, digital SLR, etc)
can take all "specific types of photographs".

"The best camera is the one you have with you."
--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 18:48:50 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
<grimly4REMOVE(a)REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in
<hphdv599n37km0junjthk5sv8rj871eeul(a)4ax.com>:

>We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>drugs began to take hold. I remember John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> saying something like:
>
>>Again, great photos can be taken with pretty much *any* camera.
>
>Up to a point.
>A great -once in a lifetime- pic can be taken on a cheapy pos if it's
>the only one to hand during an unrepeatable event.
>Otoh, carrying something more capable around will greatly increase the
>chances of getting something worthwhile in the majority of situations.

That argument, carried to its logical conclusion, would have you lugging
around a huge amount of equipment, not only impractical, but also often
counterproductive, since it might well interfere with being able to get
the picture. In other words, it's not a valid generalization.

What actually increases the chances of getting something worthwhile is
having the most appropriate tool for the situation, which might well be
a compact digital camera.
--
Best regards,
John

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail."
-Abraham Maslow